KnotHead

Gaucho Braid Dog Leash

This one here is one that I have been consumed by for the past 2 weeks.

Braid: 8 strand Gaucho braid, worked as an 8 strand round braid.

Handle: Done in two segments.

1. I spliced the handle to the leash itself.
  2. The brown T you see, is what I have deemed in my own vocabulary The Split T Splice Braid of a total 16 strands.

At the clip you will see where I brought the flat braid over the top and combined the back and front of the flat braid to make a round braid to start the Gaucho Braiding process.

The button knot is a 2 pass type 1 PK.

100_0698-copy.jpg100_0694-copy.jpg100_0697-copy.jpg100_0699-copy.jpg

Hope you all like it.

Brian...

post-1307-127026538691_thumb.jpg

post-1307-127026540214_thumb.jpg

post-1307-127026542134_thumb.jpg

post-1307-127026544971_thumb.jpg

HI Brian;;

A very fine piece Sir ;; man that is a lot of work and it turned out quite nice ;;well done;;

...Doc...

looks good! wish I could turn out something that nice. so far ive only had luck with the 4 strand round braid

Kudos, Brian

That is a sweet "T". I haven't built one of those in years. Not sure I'd want to anymore. lol. Great work, as usual. Your transitions at the clip are outstanding.

very nice very nice i saw it up close and it is smooth . the t is a great idea and it worked out really good. nice job Brian

Thank you all...

I forgot to mention that the material used is kangaroo hide. That project is one that had my weee off hours consumed and if those hours would have been a cheap wood for a wood burner to keep me warm, I would've ran out of that wood long before the cold. LOL...

I fun with this one. I made my notes for it so I can duplicate it. I would like to see a few orders come in after that one gets displayed by my boss and his wife. This one was a fun one to make for sure. A little time consuming but worth it. Thing I discovered is that " T " on the handle would be considered a premium addition to the leash, " $$$$ " if ya know what I mean. LOL... I think that my braiding mentor will be glad to see this piece of work. I will have to send a few photos to him today.

Thanks to all for your kind comments.

looks good! wish I could turn out something that nice. so far ive only had luck with the 4 strand round braid

Duke; I have been braiding for quite some time now. But to encourage you to continue with braiding I will tell you this, I was on the 4 strand round braids for a year before I moved on to any other braid. As an artist, I required from myself the best possible braids I could do, which meant to me that the 4 strand round braids had to be almost mastered.

Brian...

Beautiful!!! I love the "T" and could have used it last week. I wasn't aware something like that existed!

Beautiful!!! I love the "T" and could have used it last week. I wasn't aware something like that existed!

I kind of doubt that the "T" is anything new. I'm pretty sure that someone else before me did that. However, I have not been able to find any references to such a splice in any of my books. But there are a lot of possibilities with making different patterns possible. I know that I have made a single strand T shaped casa knot. But for the purpose, I needed something a bit longer and more flexible in design and forgiving with mistakes. LOL... Before I closed that " T " off I explored just a few of the patterns that I could do with such a braid as that. I had the herringbone and the gaucho patterns achieved just to see if the patterns could be done with that many strands, or that count of strands. But I had to consider the time that it would take to do the different patterns and decided to just do the basket weave and then close it off with a multi-stranded button knot.

I am going to create a T from some scrap wood dowels and start exploring the patterns that I can get with such a braid at different lace counts and note them in my journal with photos.

Thanks to all for you kind comments.

Brian...

I just want to say thanks to all for all your kind comments and it does encourage me. Thank you all.

Brian...