Sign in to follow this  
Mekial2222

Thinking About Making My First Iwb Holster, Which Style?

Hello, I've been thinking of making my first IWB holster for a while and I am trying to figure out which style to make... Pancake, flat side, or the one that looks like a basic belt clip type... what are the pro and cons of each of these? thank you.

For your first holster, I'd recommend making a clamshell style. For an IWB, the simplest way to do it is trace your gun on a folded sheet of paper, add spacing for the stitches, cut out and unfold. There's your pattern.

The assembly is pretty easy, especially if you do something inspired by a Summer Special. That can be made with a total of 2 pieces of leather, and two snaps....plus stitching, of course. Good style for a first, as the design of the holster will help with retention without relying only on molding. Read (if you haven't) our pinned tutorials on holster making, and feel free to ask any questions.

TwinOaks is right about the clamshell being easy.

I usually introduce all my students to a flat backed pancake, . . . easy to make, . . . easy to adapt, . . . very comfortable when finished.

May God bless,

Dwight

TwinOaks is right about the clamshell being easy.

I usually introduce all my students to a flat backed pancake, . . . easy to make, . . . easy to adapt, . . . very comfortable when finished.

May God bless,

Dwight

From the grumpy old man showing his age, and FWIW. Not trying to steal this thread, but this came up a while ago and I was unable to locate a suitable picture at that time ...and I finally forgot about about it. The term 'Clamshell Holster' apparently means something different in modern parlance than it did when there were actual .....'Clamshell Holsters' . Frankly they weren't worth a dink (one of my lesser used but more polite terms) They were a mechanical holster that opened by the insertion of the trigger finger into the trigger guard and depressing a 'hidden' release button. The thing snapped open rather violently and was supposed to (sort of) throw the weapon into the shooter's hand. Used by many law enforcement departments, they resulted in many accidentally dropped weapons when they decided,(on their own) to open unexpectedly. This resulted in numerous damaged weapons, and there were more than a few unintentional discharges reported. To me, the enclosed pic is a 'Clamshell Holster'. What I believe you are speaking of is a common folded pouch .... still, arguably, the most common type of holster made and one of the most simple to make. Mike

clam1.jpg

Edited by katsass

Honestly, I think I just picked up the term "clam shell" in a discussion about the various holster types.....long while back, on here (pre-crash). Folded pouch certainly describes it better. Perhaps I'll start using that.....

Your pic is quite unique- I've never seen the likes before!

Honestly, I think I just picked up the term "clam shell" in a discussion about the various holster types.....long while back, on here (pre-crash). Folded pouch certainly describes it better. Perhaps I'll start using that.....

Well, as I said .... they weren't worth a whooo-ha. They also were not inexpensive. Both sides of the shell were steel, covered in leather. And notice the big swivel configuration so that one could sit easily in a car. But, that's a Clamshell Holster. I wore one for a short time, but got rid of it when a friend's Python hit the asphalt. Mike

P.S. The gun in the holster looks an awful lot like an old Colt Officer's Model, but not the Officer's Model Match that I carried for a short time. Basically different sights only.

Edited by katsass

gallery_15329_504_26680.jpg

I can send you the pattern for this holster if you like. It will fit any Duty size, Compact and Full size semi-auto other than the 1911...

All it is really is a wrap around with reinforced throat with snap straps. Works real well and the flap hanging off the rear catches the bottom side of the belt so the holster stays put when you make a draw.

I carry a G17, G19, G23, HK 45, FN 40, Sig 226, Sig 229 and CZ's in it as I feel like doing.

I'll post a better picture of a Natural finished one which shows the holster allot better later today. I just finished a few up for some PoPo's I shoot with regularly. Cross draw for a 696-4 7 shot 357 also.

I probably should post more of what I do, but eh... Not mush I think is worth to hard drive space because it isn't unusual enough.

Edited by Reaper

Well, as I said .... they weren't worth a whooo-ha. They also were not inexpensive. Both sides of the shell were steel, covered in leather. And notice the big swivel configuration so that one could sit easily in a car. But, that's a Clamshell Holster. I wore one for a short time, but got rid of it when a friend's Python hit the asphalt. Mike

P.S. The gun in the holster looks an awful lot like an old Colt Officer's Model, but not the Officer's Model Match that I carried for a short time. Basically different sights only.

Yeah it looks like a accident waiting to happen. Or a gun grab offering...

I could see that working out in a Saddle Bag as a mounted holster. You flip the flap up and reach in trigger it open and you've got the weapon in hand. Keeps it from being buried under whatever else is in the Saddle Bag.

Here is another view of one. Mike

cs2.jpg

Mekial2222,

If I can be so bold as to interject something here....... before you decide to make a IWB,....take that shooter (UNLOADED) that you especially want to make a holster for and wear it inside your trousers for about 8 hours on a weekend, and do your natural routine during the day. Bending, sitting, doing everyday stuff......and if you are o.k. with a weapon inside your pants for a day, then go ahead and make a holster. If you don't like it, then you would have saved all that time making a holster that will spend its time in the "holster drawer"!!!! For MYSELF, I can't abide a weapon inside my beltline. People come to me (mostly new to the carry scene) and want a IWB holster an I tell them to do as I described above. They come back wanting a OWB and are happy for the intel. Just a thought. To each his own. Semper-fi Mike

Mekial2222,

If I can be so bold as to interject something here....... before you decide to make a IWB,....take that shooter (UNLOADED) that you especially want to make a holster for and wear it inside your trousers for about 8 hours on a weekend, and do your natural routine during the day. Bending, sitting, doing everyday stuff......and if you are o.k. with a weapon inside your pants for a day, then go ahead and make a holster. If you don't like it, then you would have saved all that time making a holster that will spend its time in the "holster drawer"!!!! For MYSELF, I can't abide a weapon inside my beltline. People come to me (mostly new to the carry scene) and want a IWB holster an I tell them to do as I described above. They come back wanting a OWB and are happy for the intel. Just a thought. To each his own. Semper-fi Mike

FWIW from the grumpy old guy. The other Mike is absolutely correct. IWB holsters just aren't comfortable. I mean, if you put one on to walk around the block or something, they are tolerable, but most of my stuff goes to individuals that carry a weapon daily, and for many hours at a time. None of them ask for an IWB holster. Frankly I have told a prospective buyer that I won't build one. I told him that he wouldn't like it, and it therefor, is a waste of time and money ..... but, along those lines, I'm the grumpy sort. Most folks feel that an IWB holster will somehow be more concealable. I don't know why. It doesn't shrink the shooter in any way. the butt of the damned thing still sticks up above your belt line, and as you move, it moves .... usually in a different direction. The thickness is still there along with a bulge where the belt goes over the shooter. My experience is that most folks that have more or less started carrying concealed recently, do not realize that one must dress to conceal. That their normal attire generally is not suitable for successful concealed carry, and that an IWB holster conceals very little above that of many other types of holster. Mike

Edited by katsass

IWB comfort depends I guess. I always wear IWB for the most part and never a subcompact. Never have an issue with it being uncomfortable. Might have to do with doing construction for so many years and wearing a split tool belt with tools on one side and screws in a four pocket pouch on the other side, dunno...

But I do know I can carry a full size CZ SP01 with 20 rounds of 9mm Gold Dot in it and it doesn't bother me a bit.

Gun Site - Clint Smith : "Gun isn't supposed to be comfortable it is supposed to be comforting" , "It's a big Gun when I put it on and it's a Big gun when I pull it out"

pretty much says it all to me...

Other pictures of IWB U I mentioned uploading...

Front Side

gallery_15329_504_92683.jpg

Front.

gallery_15329_504_66938.jpg

Back Side..

gallery_15329_504_90349.jpg

The holster covers the Laser on Crimson Trace Grips to protect if on my Sig 226. Dunno if it will on others because that is the only one I have a Laser on.

It rides at a 20 deg angle and sits vertical when sitting. I can draw from any position with it and there isn't any discomfort with it in the least for me.

but, along those lines, I'm the grumpy sort. Most folks feel that an IWB holster will somehow be more concealable. I don't know why. It doesn't shrink the shooter in any way. the butt of the damned thing still sticks up above your belt line, and as you move, it moves .... usually in a different direction. The thickness is still there along with a bulge where the belt goes over the shooter. My experience is that most folks that have more or less started carrying concealed recently, do not realize that one must dress to conceal. That their normal attire generally is not suitable for successful concealed carry, and that an IWB holster conceals very little above that of many other types of holster. Mike

I can understand your position on the subject, but also wonder if you have ever thought about it from the perspective of "dressing to conceal"?

I live down here in Florida and spend much of my time wearing nothing more than a pair of Jeans and a T-Shirt un tucked. The fact that I carry IWB means I do not have to wear a T-Shirt two times too big for me to cover the bottom half of my Pancake, Three Persons, Avenger of what have you hanging off my belt and down past my shirt.

That is why I carry IWB, for concealment reasons, valid ones...

If an IWB Holster, or any Concealment Holster for that matter is designed correctly it will pull the weapon in tight to the body so that printing is at a minimum.

I actually carry IWB when shooting at the local IPSC match I go to every Tuesday night for the purpose of practicing getting the weapon out and on target with two rounds center mass as fast as I possibly can. Funny thing is, I do this with every Holster design I make because if I can't get a weapon into play without issues then I refuse to make it for someone else. But I'm of mind if I can, then so can everyone else on this planet with practice.

again I do see your point and respect it, but don't agree with it...

I haven't stuck it in my pants for any length of time, I do have a paddle holster I made (my first holster ever, I need to make a new one) it works but I kinda went over kill with some of the leather, re-inforcements, rivets, chicago screws, etc... ultimately I have never been a gun carrier (I've carried afew times but not regularly). on the flip side I can't just practice my leather work without the goal of a finished product so my "practice" is my own stuff... every project intails a new aspect of construction. I got to thinking about a IWB because my brother-in-law carries that way and loves it so I figured "why not" but I couldn't decide which style.... I was going to do the flat backed pancake (what he carries) but I wanted to use some kydex with that one which I can't find localy.

Well I started making a pancake style one the other day but now I'm on the ropes about the necessity of the "reinforcement strap", I'm using 8oz leather.

Reaper; I was thinking about that style but I don't have any leather snaps (I picked up some clothing snaps from walmart but they suck) although I do have some belt clips. Good looking holster btw.

Edited by Mekial2222

Good looking holster btw.

Thank you...

You don't have to have snaps for the strap if you do not mind threading the belt. Take the width of your belt x 2 + 1 1/4 and sew the straps as loops in the same place you would put the snaps.

It would allow you to finish the build and learn from it, then your next if you make one you can add the snaps.

You might find Snaps at a Western Store local to you, or they might be able to order you some. Most have a account with some Leather Goods Supplier for those who are repairing tack. Also, if there is a Canvas Awning company local to you they have them and might sell you a bag, many keep them in baggies for home owner repairs.

You can find Kydex at www.knifekits.com in 030 - 090 in thickness. I do not care for Kydex, Concealex or other derivatives because of its abuse to the finish. Lined with Leather it isn't bad, but, eh I like my weapons too much.. hehe

I can understand your position on the subject, but also wonder if you have ever thought about it from the perspective of "dressing to conceal"?

I live down here in Florida and spend much of my time wearing nothing more than a pair of Jeans and a T-Shirt un tucked. The fact that I carry IWB means I do not have to wear a T-Shirt two times too big for me to cover the bottom half of my Pancake, Three Persons, Avenger of what have you hanging off my belt and down past my shirt.

That is why I carry IWB, for concealment reasons, valid ones...

If an IWB Holster, or any Concealment Holster for that matter is designed correctly it will pull the weapon in tight to the body so that printing is at a minimum.

I actually carry IWB when shooting at the local IPSC match I go to every Tuesday night for the purpose of practicing getting the weapon out and on target with two rounds center mass as fast as I possibly can. Funny thing is, I do this with every Holster design I make because if I can't get a weapon into play without issues then I refuse to make it for someone else. But I'm of mind if I can, then so can everyone else on this planet with practice.

again I do see your point and respect it, but don't agree with it...

Reaper, I understand your point, and if it works for you, great. I look at the situation from the perspective of 35 years of law enforcement concealed carry, most of it in the middle of the Mojave Desert. Along with that, as "other duties as assigned" I spent 15 of those years as a firearms instructor with the Dept. that I worked for. You have the heat and humidity .... we have the heat and NO humidity except when old Ma Nature shoves something up from south of the border. You are correct in your description of a properly constructed holster. I am saying though, for the majority of folks, an IWB becomes uncomfortable in reasonably short order. Off duty and bouncing around I was grubby looking. I drove a beat looking '68 Dodge P/U, albeit with a warmed over big block Mopar engine and a heavy steel "I" beam as a front bumper. The damned thing was built like a tank, and in a pinch, could act as one. I always wore loose, almost Hawaiian style shirts .... with snaps rather than buttons. I'm left handed and the shirts came open easily on my way to what ever shooter I was carrying. That was either a 9mm Smith M-539 or a .44 Smith M-24 3". When out and about, I was usually quickly recognized. When I cleaned up and drove the Vette, damned few people recognized me very quickly. Printing is a proper concern, however, after long (by necessity) association with a lot of REAL bad folks, what gives most concealed carry folks away is THEMSELVES. THEY know that they are carrying, and their demeanor will give them away. The bad guys have spent time in jail and/or the joint, and have cultivated observation to the point of an art. They are not like the man in the street .... they look at people , and SEE people. They observe how they carry themselves, how they walk, and the little unconscious movements that they make. Frankly, from what I have seen over many years of observation and experince, you are an anomaly. You practice with your weapon(s), and you obviously are confident with your abilities. Unfortunately, too damned many holders of CCW permits are neither, and sadly, those folks are in the majority. Those are the ones of whom I speak. Mike

Edited by katsass

I don't carry daily....just most days. I can't carry while at work, so I have to wait until I get home and if we don't go anywhere, I don't bother putting on a holster. Since I picked up an officer's model, I've been carrying it in a belt slide with few concerns about it being seen past the hem of an untucked shirt. However, if I carry my full size '91A1 I DO carry IWB.

As I've told all my customers, the key to comfortably carrying an IWB is the wardrobe. If you carry IWB, you need to either lose weight or buy a size larger to accommodate the bulk of the pistol. Combine that with a GOOD GUN BELT, and it's not at all uncomfortable. For the length of time I wear one...well, I get to the gun shop (weekend job and meet customers) around 09:00, and typically don't leave until after 20:00. IWB concealed the whole time (unless it gets drawn :o) and it's not uncomfortable to do so.

During these summer months, I've stayed with the officer's model in the belt slide because I slightly increased my girth to the 'one size larger' I advocate for IWB.

I'm currently developing a twist on a popular holster style, and have had several LEOs give their input on it while at the gun range/store. It's a tuckable IWB, and when wearing a somewhat loose fitting t-shirt tucked in the LEOs (police and deputies) have said that it is for all purposes "invisible"........with a revolver. The only thing noticeable to them was the belt clips, which were black against a brown belt.

I guess what it boils down to is what each person is comfortable with. Like Reaper, I've never really had a problem carrying IWB, even full size weapons, for extended periods. Maybe we've just learned to deal with it. I've got a friend that carries a revolver IWB full time, and he seems okay with it too. Can we agree with "To each his/her own" ?

I don't carry daily....just most days. I can't carry while at work, so I have to wait until I get home and if we don't go anywhere, I don't bother putting on a holster. Since I picked up an officer's model, I've been carrying it in a belt slide with few concerns about it being seen past the hem of an untucked shirt. However, if I carry my full size '91A1 I DO carry IWB.

As I've told all my customers, the key to comfortably carrying an IWB is the wardrobe. If you carry IWB, you need to either lose weight or buy a size larger to accommodate the bulk of the pistol. Combine that with a GOOD GUN BELT, and it's not at all uncomfortable. For the length of time I wear one...well, I get to the gun shop (weekend job and meet customers) around 09:00, and typically don't leave until after 20:00. IWB concealed the whole time (unless it gets drawn :o) and it's not uncomfortable to do so.

During these summer months, I've stayed with the officer's model in the belt slide because I slightly increased my girth to the 'one size larger' I advocate for IWB.

I'm currently developing a twist on a popular holster style, and have had several LEOs give their input on it while at the gun range/store. It's a tuckable IWB, and when wearing a somewhat loose fitting t-shirt tucked in the LEOs (police and deputies) have said that it is for all purposes "invisible"........with a revolver. The only thing noticeable to them was the belt clips, which were black against a brown belt.

I guess what it boils down to is what each person is comfortable with. Like Reaper, I've never really had a problem carrying IWB, even full size weapons, for extended periods. Maybe we've just learned to deal with it. I've got a friend that carries a revolver IWB full time, and he seems okay with it too. Can we agree with "To each his/her own" ?

Well Mike, (we have a pot-load of Mike's on here) you said it. For those of us that carry guns, shoot guns, and frequently handle guns, your statement hits it right on the head. Each of us have formed our personal preferances and opinions based on experience, training and education over the years of our lives, and of course, we each know that WE are correct in these. As you say, "to each his/her own", and I'm sure that we can agree to disagree on different points. (another) Mike

Edited by katsass

Reaper - I really like that holster. Do you use it for different pistols and hence the reason you have a tension screw at the trigger guard?