earthling33

Tools And Getting Started

I just did my very first leather tooling project. It was a Triumph motorcycle logo,..Triumph letters with the swash undernieath. It came out okay, but not as good as I would have liked. Most of the problem was my own inexperience, but part of it was that my work surface was not ideal, and my tool set isn't as complete as I would like. I was working on my sewing machine stand, which has some rebound when I tap down on the tool. The local granite and tile shop is cutting a granite slab for me and I'll pick that up this weekend. As for the tools, I ordered a 10 piece leather stamping set from Amazon, which turned out to come from Springfield Leather. I thought I would get a nice beveler and a basketweave tool among some others, but Springfield substituted some other tools which I found to be not very useful or hard (for me) to work with. The beveler had very square corners which gave me problems. I kept nicking into the design with the corners. Instead of a basketweave tool, I got a star, which doesn't really fit the style I have in mind. Maybe I'll find a use for it later. The Amazon page didn't say they substitute tools, but after looking at the Springfield catalog, I see that they do. I'm not upset, but a little disappointed. I just placed an order for the bevelers I want.

I probably won't post a pic of my first try at tooling. It's a little rough. Maybe the second.... :)

Posting a pic of your first tooling is the best way to improve your second one.