Sign in to follow this  
savvydreambuilder

Col Hood - Rip

Just a short note to let folks outside of Australia know that one of our great saddle makers has passed away.

Col Hood was instrumental in starting the Western Saddle culture in Australia, he built the first australian made Western trees.

His saddles were well known for their strength, their balance and their fit of the horse, as well as the extreme beauty of his tooling.

If you knew him I would love to hear your stories, he spent a few years in the US and Canada saddle making, and was always happy with a story to tell.

'cole

He was my friend and mentor, and the most generous teacher I have ever met

Edited by savvydreambuilder

Just a short note to let folks outside of Australia know that one of our great saddle makers has passed away.

Col Hood was instrumental in starting the Western Saddle culture in Australia, he built the first australian made Western trees.

His saddles were well known for their strength, their balance and their fit of the horse, as well as the extreme beauty of his tooling.

If you knew him I would love to hear your stories, he spent a few years in the US and Canada saddle making, and was always happy with a story to tell.

'cole

He was my friend and mentor, and the most generous teacher I have ever met

I'm very sorry to hear that. How old was Col?

Tony.

Hi Tony,

thanks mate,

Col was 76 and had been making for well over 50 years.

Hi Tony,

thanks mate,

Col was 76 and had been making for well over 50 years.

I honestly thought he'd have been older as he seems to have been around forever.

Thanks for the update.

Sorry to hear this news, another great saddle maker will be missed.

Hi Leatheroo

Its not just a great Saddle Maker, Col was a MASTER SADDLER in his field and recognised here for his Great Skill. I've known him for more than 40 years and the greatest reccomendation I can give him is " I never saw a Product he made that could attract criticism from other Saddlers here (his Peers) only admiration.

My first meeting with Col was at the Shepparton Rodeo early 70's. A Bronc Rider had trouble as the Cantle needed re-stitching before he could compete. So he came to me and asked me to do an urgent stitch Job on it. Well I started and became aware of a guy watching me Sewing. Well I quickly finished in time for the Event and the owner Said Thanks Mate I'll fix you up after the event. The watcher then piped up "he wont be back" but that was a damm good repair you did there. I'm Colin Hood and its good to meet you this way. That day I met a true Gentleman Saddler. We've swapped yarns and idea's a time or two since then and I count it a privilege to be able say he was my Friend and a Master Saddler.

He passed on a lot of knowledge to Nicole and I am sure that she will use it wisely.

Please enjoy working at the Big Bench In The Sky old friend.

I also endorse Nicoles request for Yarns about Col when he was in the Sates as we want to record them for posterity.

Kindest Regards.

Jim Saddler.

Sorry to hear this news, another great saddle maker will be missed.

R.I P. COL HOOD