Geoff

Belt Strap Edging - comparing technique

I have been working on improving my belt edge finish and spent some time researching various leather workers recommendations. One of them being that one should only cut the edges in one direction (from head to tip), to keep the cut fibers all in the same direction.

Whilst I take on the logic in this method, there is no way that I could do it because (with my plain edger) it would entail doing some of the cuts with my left hand.

Following further research, I heard about "bissonette" edgers, which can be pushed or pulled.

The question is, at the end of the day, can the difference be noticed? I have a nice set of plain edgers that I use with my right hand only, and would only invest in a set of "bissonette" edgers if the improvement is significant.

Another thing that springs to mind is how to sharpen them?

Any comments on the use of these tools will be appreciated.

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

I guess I don't know that here is a huge difference only beveleing the edges in one direction. If you edger is sharp enough, it ought to be slicing the fibers off instead of laying them over too.

I use bisonette edgers a fair amount. My wife really likes them, and having the front edge serves more for training wheels and a guide than a cutting edge 99% of the time. I used to be a big fan of the round bottom edgers, but they can dang sure scoop or get under some thin lining and make you say words you didn't learn in Sunday school. I still like them a lot, but am using the bisonettes more often. They are a little tricky to sharpen. What I do is wrap a piece of very fine wet/dry sandpaper aroung whatever I have to make the right curvature. Usually I use nails. You have to watch the angles a bit and be careful not to get into the edge on the opposite side. I strop on the edge of a piece of skirting I have rounded over to the right curvature. Not all of the bisonettes are created equal. My favorites are from Bob Douglas and Barry King.

Thanks Bruce,

Your reply helps a lot.

I may try one size of the "bissonette" edger - which size would be recommended for 9/10 oz belt straps?

Geoff

Geoff,

From Bob Douglas or Barry King, probably a #2. From Jeremiah Watt, a #0. For straps I like more of a half round edge vs, the corner knocked off and the side being straight through the middle.