Hallyth

What Is Your Favourite Tool? What Wouldn't You Be Without?

My apologies if this has been posted before....I expect it has, but had a quick look and couldn't see it. (please link a re-direction for me if there is already one!!)

Also, if Mods feel it should be in another section, please feel free to move it!

So, I am a real beginner, and will, I hope, in time build up a collection of leather tools. To help me on my way, as I really don't know where to start, I was wondering what the experienced amongst you, feel is your favourite tool, and your most used tool that you wouldn't be without? If you can bother to say what it is used for too, that would be a great help....yes, I really am that much of a novice!!

I don't have free flowing finances, so will be trying to buy carefully, so I reckon your experience would be invaluable to me not making stupid mistakes, purchasing tools that won't be much used. I do appreciate that people will love and use different tools according to what they do with leather, thus the 'what is it used for' question!!

Also, there are sometimes interesting stories behind tools and our love for them. Mine are around different types of tools to leather work ones, so far though, but I'd love to hear which tools you love and why!

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Hallyth

My favorite tool is a Lucrus clicker press. I have had one for several years and liked it so much that I bought another one. I found out that if taken care of you can't wear one out so I have the second one for sale. I look at the Lucris Clicker a money printing machine. What I mean by that is I just click parts and sell them. I can click 200 to 250 parts a hour easy and sell them for 30 to 60 cents. Do the math, even with the smallest of parts I can make $45 to $65 hour of work time. I don't do anything else that even comes close. It does take some time creating a market, but it is stable once created. Everything else that I do with leather is a hobby, but the little clicker is a part time business with very little effort. -- Tex

So a clicker press is like a biscuit (cookie) cutter sort of? Presumably you can cut a variety of shapes with it?

(thank goodness for Google & Wikipedia!)

For me, there is only one tool that takes the prize. It is the tool I reach for first almost always. It is my round knife. I have a bunch, and all but one have been relagated to "wall" duty. That is because I treated myself to one from Knipperschield as a Christmas present this year. Can't say how much I love this knife. Aside from an occasional strop, I haven't yet had to sharpen it, and I am working on the third saddle this year plus several pairs of chaps and chap purses. Save yourself a lot of trouble and buy quality cutting tools.

Bob

Only a few makers send out tools sharp enough to use straight out of the box. Right after you buy the first edge tool figure out how to sharpen it and what to use to sharpen it with. It can go from wet-dry paper to stones of all varieties to power systems. Get a comfortable sharpening method and learn how "sharp" is really sharp. Not an orginal quote from me but "Sharpening is not an optional skill".

It's hard to pick just one... there are tools I reach for on every project.

- Olfa knife with snap-off black blades. It's always sharp, it's versatile, and it's cheap! I cut my projects out with it, cut slots for buckles, I used to do the tips with it before I got my end punches... everything. I'd like to learn to use a round knife someday, but I'd have to sink a good deal of money into a good one and a lot of time learning how to use it properly.

- Wooden burnishing stick from Tandy. It's also very versatile and does an excellent job

- Craft Sha edge bevelers from GoodsJapan. Far fewer problems than the Tandy ones

- Barry King bevelers - used for every tooling project. I have 6 or so different ones, including a concave and a convex one

This is great! Thanks for the brand recommendations too.

I know from boat building how much easier and better a job can be made, not only by the correct tool, but the right brand as well. I have a flush saw that cost me a small fortune, for wood work, but worth it's weight in gold.

So, what are other people's beloved leather tools?

For me it would be my Weaver punches..Hole punches,English point,Etc... Quality tools make all of the difference if you take care of them.

I'm with Bruce Johnson, my sharpening equipment would be my most important tools.

G'day,

I would have to say that my fave tool to begin my leatherworking day with, is my Kingchrome Folding utility knife:

https://bnnn72.ssl-cdn.s.mel.secureinf.net/Product-298x298/1c0ff2db-33ae-4f17-9c61-c2132bbedaf9.JPG

I have small hands and can't quite accomodate a large round knife, so this is ideal for me and the work I do . Because it folds, it's safe, blades are changed quickly ,easily and safely.The Kingchrome brand blades seem to last longer than other brands from experience. I can also sharpen the old blades up on a stone or strop to extend their life.

My second choice ,when tooling, is my fave beveler ( the exact number escapes me right now , but maybe a B801).I have many bevelers, but the texture on this particular beveler is all but gone, its so well worn, but its the one I reach for on just about every single job/project, giving me just right effect that I want.

Last but certainly not least, is 'Brutus' , my sewing machine:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40990121@N05/4111321665/in/photostream/

Best investment I ever made.

( I' m probably the only one that give his beloved sewing maching a name!.....needless to say, I am single...still ! :rofl: )

Good luck in your leatherworking endeavours.

All the best

Handstitched

Names for favourite tools is just 'right' IMO! After all, as children we name our favourite toys and as adults our cars (mine is called Bitch!) and things, so why not a tool!

Thanks for your input handstitched.....erm, hang on......handstitched has a sewing machine????? ;) sadly my boat will NOT allow me a sewing machine onboard!

Yes, I do a lot of handstitching as well :)

Probably one of the most relaxing , and perhaps theraputic part of leatherworking.

A machine is wonderful timesaver when doing large volumes.

I don't feel quite so silly now giving my machine a name :)

Without going off topic too much, I once called my old Landy 'Enterprise' ...but thats another story.

Handstitched

"Yes, I do a lot of handstitching as well :)" I get relaxing therapeutic value from hand stitching also. I have not bought a machine because I am afraid that I will get caught up in working instead of using leather work as a hobby. I am 76 and don't need to do a lot of work anymore! cookie.gif

A loaded question-----

I suppose that my pyrography tools, sharp knives, arbor press and dies, embosser, burnishing tools, followed by, edgers, groovers, finishing tools. Best for me to say that I enjoy them all, all of the time. lol.

God Bless.

Ray

3rd attempt to get this posted.