I have the same machine as a Cobra Class 18. When I slow down to a crawl or try to handwheel the machine it wants to pull the knots to the top. If I stop in the middle of something it will always pull the knot to top. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Tim

post-37336-0-60091500-1395574453_thumb.j

Edited by Tim Schroeder

Sounds like too much top tension.

What size needle and thread are you using, how thick is the leather, pictures of the stitching top and bottom will help.

If it was sewing properly at one time then it's likely just a tension problem.

Hi Tree Reaper, This machine has always done this. Every project I have done has one or two knots showing at the top, usually right before a corner when I almost stop. Anytime I try to just handwheeel the machine it will leave the knots at the top almost every stitch but will sew fine if you sew that slow with the motor. Just a consistent motion seems to make a difference. #138 with 135X16 #18 needle. I know this needle is a little small but I like the way it looks. #20 needles the holes look to big for the thread. Thanks Tim

post-37336-0-87796900-1395581369_thumb.j

post-37336-0-09645200-1395581382_thumb.j

Edited by Tim Schroeder

That needle is small for that thread as you already mentioned.

I'm using one needle size larger than the thread size.

The other problem could very well be a lack of bobbin tension looking at the pictures.

If that was my machine I would increase the bobbin tension slightly and try it, you may have to loosen the top tension a little after that.

Just keep track of what you adjust so you can put it back.

You'll have to layer some scrap and try it until you get it working.

Someone else may have another opinion.

Even though it seems to be stitching fine when the machine is running I would stitch a piece of layered scrap and then separate the layers to see where the knot is between the layers, you may find the knot is quite near the top.

I concur with T.R; increase the bobbin and top tensions for tighter thread on both sides. Move up to a larger diamond point needle (to keep a straight line, with top holes filled).

Further, try changing the position and tension of the thread check spring by loosening the screw in the slot and moving the disk one way or the other. You may even try increasing or decreasing the travel of the check spring a bit and see if that helps.

Hello, remember your needle position before stop to you move your/ lift your foot. Make sure the hook has locked the top thread before you move the work or lift the foot. See if that helps. If I have general problem with uneven top tension, I will check the top thread threading and use all available thread guide holes on the machine. Then you get more control over the top tension. It can be to double the times the thread goes true the top threading guide for example. You also takes the twist out of the thread that way and makes the tension more stable. However, Its seams like you have a problem that are related to moving your work/ lifting the foot. Then its related to the needle position or take up spring travel.

Good luck

Tor

Hey guys, I agree with all of you. That makes it a 4 of a kind.........can't beat that! Steve