amuckart

Downloadable Manual For Pearson No.6

Hi all,

Another member of this forum was kind enough to send me an electronic copy of the manual for the Pearson No.6 Harness Machine. I have OCRed the manual to plain text and typeset it using LaTeX to a form relatively close to the original. The pagination isn't identical, but I've updated all the page references so they're correct. I have also corrected the various typographical errors in the original, but not the archaic spelling of some words. I will continue to work on the typesetting to see if I can produce output that paginates identically to the original.

I would like to be able to make this available on my website for free download to make the information more widely available to owners of these machines, and to make available a higher-quality version than the photocopied ones I've seen so far. I have attached the current state to this post (typeset for standard A5 paper).

No.6 Manual.pdf

The text is done, but where I need help is with the diagrams. I am working on re-drawing the simple ones as clean vector graphics, and will include them as they're done, but the major plates at the end of the book are beyond my abilities, and the autotracing software I have access to can't get a good result.

The instructions in the manual rely very heavily on the numbered parts in the plates so good quality versions of those with proper text labels are important. I can do all the labelling, but I'm hoping there's someone out there with the computer graphics skills (or access to high-end professional autotracing software) who can help with the conversion of these diagrams to SVG?

Failing that does anyone have a good condition original copy of the manual they can scan in high-resolution (min 600dpi) and send me?

If anyone has a soft copy of the parts manual for this beast they want to share I'll give that the same treatment.

Thanks.

Thanks so much for sharing this! I just purchased what I believe is a Pearson No. 6 and I've been searching for a manual. The basic workings of them seems fairly straight forward, but I'm glad to have some information on finer adjustments and so on. It is a shame that the plates aren't a bit clearer, but still much better than nothing. I may have a go at cleaning one up at some point, but I can't imagine it will be easy since it's difficult to distinguish the parts from one another in the scan. We'll see.

As a side note, I don't suppose you know of a source in New Zealand of needles for these machines do you?

Anyway, thank you again!

p.s. I think I may have bought two pillar bed machines from you years ago!

G'day, I'm glad you found the manual useful. Yes I think you did buy some post beds from me. I hope they worked out Ok for you.

You can get 331LR needles in size 230 only, from Sewing Supplies in Auckland. I dealt with them by email and they were always really great.

Do you have photos of your machine?

Well I must confess I actually never got around to finding someone to service them and get them set up, they're still sitting in my family's lock-up, to my great shame and frustration haha! But I will at some point, I keep telling myself.

Oh that's great, thank you! I did have a look at what I think was there website but I couldn't seem to see them, but I've sent them an enquiry. I've found a seller on trademe who apparently has #250 size though, so I may go with some of those although they're $49 a pack. Is that about normal?

Also, I wanted to ask you, what kind of thread do you use in your machine?

Yeah, sure I'll attach one. As you can see I'm just using a ball of cotton string at the moment, which obviously isn't really ideal. Oh actually, it occurs to me I might be able to use my machine and photos from around the place as references to clean up those plates if I ever get around to it.

Pearson No6 harness machine

Yes it's a number 6. They usually take a range of thread from a Terko M12 upwards. I run mine on a nylon M10 which it loves. They were originally designed for linen threads. You can use these but they're a bit harder to get.

@Tomo Thank you! I've managed to sorce some thread now, some Z415/T400/7 (Old Tkt size / Tex size / Metric size) because I've got #250 331 LR needles I mentioned. I'm thinking I may try to track down some lighter needles and thread at some point though, the current ones are unbelievably heavy! Anyway, yes so I understand, but I imagine the linen thread would be less consistant, and of course less resiliant, even though I do like the idea of using the traditional thing and a natural product.

Thanks again.

You could try Martins Harness I think they were getting needles made but not sure on the size.

Oh thank you, I'll check them out. I'll probably try and get some in New Zealand first though, because they're in Canada aren't they?

Thankyou for sharing. I was quite excited to find a manual.

I will dig out my manual that is original and see if i can scan it. It is leather bound so will check if can put on scanner bed.

Leathersmyth I assume it was too difficult to scan the original manual? Just curious as I am now looking at one of these machines....

I have an original manual (1919 edition I think), which isn't leatherbound. I could scan it if you're curious but Amuckarts PDF is excellent. The only area for improvement is the illustrations, which aren't very clear.

2 hours ago, plinkercases said:

Leathersmyth I assume it was too difficult to scan the original manual? Just curious as I am now looking at one of these machines....

yes I had assumed your were only talking about the 'Plates" so the part numbers where clearer. the PDF is excellent in all other accounts as you say.

Thanks for that Amuckart. I am sure the Pearson Nº6 fans will be delighted. 

Hi. Just found this link about British #6 machine. I have one is storage for last 10years not able to fine any info about it till now. 

Where can I get bobbin and needles are any available??

Sorry Pearson # 6 not British. 

Look at the post just above yours.  :)

Facebook Pearson#6 group. Come join

hi i have a pearson #6 but i need an origonal base can anyone help me . regards Aaron K.

Hi, sorry to be late to the party. I work at a museum as a leather craft demonstrator and i have a pearson no6 to clean up and use. Is this manual still available somewhere? If it helps, it will be used for educational use.

6 hours ago, DavidColquhoun said:

Hi, sorry to be late to the party. I work at a museum as a leather craft demonstrator and i have a pearson no6 to clean up and use. Is this manual still available somewhere? If it helps, it will be used for educational use.

It's posted in the thread at the top from the OP.

Hi guys. I just paid off my lovely old Pearson #6 and now I finally have her at home! It took me 12 months to pay the guy for it but it's worth it! I'm dead keen to get familiar with it. The links in the posts above, to the manual I mean, don't work. Is it still possible to get a hold of the pdf? 

13 hours ago, Ho11y said:

Hi guys. I just paid off my lovely old Pearson #6 and now I finally have her at home! It took me 12 months to pay the guy for it but it's worth it! I'm dead keen to get familiar with it. The links in the posts above, to the manual I mean, don't work. Is it still possible to get a hold of the pdf? 

Just tried it and it works fine. Try a different search engine or your settings because it came up for me ok.

Absolutely thrilled! Waiting for the shops to open so I can get ink for my printer and print it all out. Thank you so much for this. My machine is a little stiff and the shuttle isn't releasing thread like it should but now I've got reference material I can do my best to work it out. I was told I'd "never find a manual for it" (the Pearson) and thanks to the kind people in this thread - it took me less than 24 hours. Really appreciating like minded community at this point, thank you again. STOKED! 

Edited by Ho11y
Tried to insert photo but couldn't