Sign in to follow this  
equipro

which stamping tools to buy?

I am in desperate need to know which stamping tools to buy. I want real good quality stamps, but most of all I do not want to buy anything blindly. I am just starting a side business at home. I need to buy all the essentials for making bridles, Halters and all basic horse gear( not saddles). I would also like to know about any kind of magazine subscriptions there is availiable. I would appreiciate any and all advice

(I also have been looking for an exoctic leathers supplier)

Thanks

equipro

Hey equipro!

As far as magazines go, I think most of us would agree that the Leather Crafters & Saddlers Journal is the standard nowadays. There were others, but they are no longer in print. LC&SJ has a website: www.leathercraftersjournal.com.

In another thread in this same section, Bruce Johnson answered a question for Kristina about a "Waffle Stamp" that covers the really good makers. I won't re-list them all here, but I agree with Bruce about the quality and affordability of Barry King's tools. Now, it's just a question of what kind of stamping you want to do, and how much you want to spend to get started.

Good luck, and post some photos of yoiur work once you get started.

Mike

Equipro,

Another magazine subscription would be ShopTalk. They have a lot of advertising from equipment sellers that LCSJ doesn't. Also a little more candid industry news. They also publish an annual directory of suppliers called the "Big Book". Although it isn't as big as it used to be, still a good resource. Their website is www.proleptic.net.

To see a good cross section of sellers and do some comparisons, it is hard to beat the leather show in Sheridan WY in May. Most of the equipment and handtool/stamp makers are there. You can see tools from makers and decide if you like a $45 round knife or a $245 round knife. The stamp sellers about all have scraps of cased leather and a rock. You can walk from one to the next and carry a piece with you do literal side by side comparisons of each maker's version of a stamp. You can also see old tools from guys like Bob Douglas that may not be made anymore. Kind of like a museum you can buy at.

For exotics, Sheridan Leather Outfitters have some, and I like Jerry VanAmburg too. I haven't dealt with the El Paso sellers or John Fong, but some guys who have can comment.

Hi equipro! I just ordered stingray for a full seat saddle from Vanamburg Leathers out of California and it only took 2 days to get here. I am just starting out as well and trying to build a saddle with Mike and Carlos's help. So, this is the first exotic purchase I made, but I am very happy! I just called her up and told her what I needed and she shipped it right out.

As far as tools go, I'm going to start out with some Craftools, etc... simply because I cannot afford to buy the expensive ones right now. But I have seen the difference between the two. The more expensive ones do leave better imprints than the craftools, but it's also what you can afford.

Good luck on your endeavors!

Kristina :cowgirl:

I would also like to quickly recommend another source for stamping tools. I believe Siegel of California (www.siegelofca.com) as well as Hidecrafter Leather Company (www.hidecrafter.com) sell a lot of stamping tools that are of higher-quality than Craftools. The tools I've bought from them seem to be made by either Kyoshin Elle or Craft Japan, and I prefer the quality of these stamps over most of my Tandy (Craftool) stamps.

L'Bum