xlr8tn

OT: What are these?

I am looking for something similar to what Rolex uses on their watches to promote authenticity. I make custom watch straps and would like to come up with something similar...just have no clue what company could make these for me. My logo is the fleur-de-lis. Is it plastic or wax? Any idea what these are called?

Thanks,

Brent

rolex3.jpg

rolex2.jpg

post-5299-1238262745_thumb.jpg

post-5299-1238262757_thumb.jpg

Edited by xlr8tn

Hi Brent,

What they represent is a wax seal, used on envelopes and scrolls in the past to prevent unauthorised eyes from reading letters. Also used whenever a tamper-evident seal was required on anything. You can't easily open a wax seal without it breaking or showing some tamper evidence.

Originally things would be sealed with red 'Sealing wax,' a very hard and brittle wax, in the form of a red candle-like obect with a wick running up the middle. Like a candle, it's lit, and the wax allowed to drip onto the enevelope where its was folded shut. A seal emblem, usually of metal (on a finger ring) was pressed into the wax while still liquid. The sudden cold of the metal set the wax and took an impression of the seal. It was used to ID the sender.

The seals on the watches are red plastic reperesentations of a wax seal.

You can buy sealing wax still, and you could have a metal seal of your logo made up. Drip the wax onto a ribbon and seal it with the stamp. A light coating of olive oil on the stamp before use will allow it to release from the wax.

Alternatively, make an original wax seal as described above then and make a silicone rubber mould of it and cast some out in red polyurethane resin.

Cheers,

Karl

Karl,

Excellent write up. Thanks for the background information. I remember seeing the rings in the movies that would be pressed into the wax. It would really be a nice touch for my straps and look very professional. I would definitely like to make some out of the red polyurethane resin since it would not mess up the leather during shipping.

Do you know of any companies that could make the metal seal?

-brent

Brent,

Sealing wax is liquid at around 80 degrees Celcius. I expect a laser cut delrin stamp, same as a maker's mark stamp, would do the trick. Might not need a metal one.

Jeff at Grey Ghost Graphics will make you one in delrin.

Cheers,

Karl

Karl,

Excellent write up. Thanks for the background information. I remember seeing the rings in the movies that would be pressed into the wax. It would really be a nice touch for my straps and look very professional. I would definitely like to make some out of the red polyurethane resin since it would not mess up the leather during shipping.

Do you know of any companies that could make the metal seal?

-brent

if all you want is a fleur-de-lis go to hobby lobby and look in the scrapbook stuff - they used to sell metal sealing wax stamp kits there and I know one of the was a fleur-de-lis

and you can make the "wax bit" out of hot glue too.

find the colored glue and a dedicated gun to go with it (once you put a colored stick in it you get that color, like forever, out of it) and a "glue pad" (It is some sort of silicon pad that the glue releases from easy) They are with the glue guns

cut your strings ahead of time - you won't have much working time with the glue.

put a tiny dab of glue on the glue pad and stick the string in it

put a bigger dab on top of it and smish the seal in the glue

(I've been told if you keep the seal "on ice" and cold it will release from the glue better. And if you stuff your finger in the glue....)

BINGO

one seal on a string

One of our local groups did a site token this way and it hung in my car over the summer and didn't melt, although you might want to put a bit of tissue paper or better yet a bit of plastic wrap between it and the leather if you are shipping

Those appear to my eye to be made from molded plastic. You can make molded plastic parts with Alumilite. It's a very versatile material, and easy to use. It's available in most hobby stores (Hobby Lobby has it). Visit their web site to see their how-to's and other information on how to use it to make molded plastic parts.

Kate

Thanks all...headed to the hobby store to see what I can find. I will let you know what I come up with.

May try a poker chip company and see it you can get something made out of that. Just an idea, James

IMHO, you could do a lot worse than have a PM chat with Badger to find out more about casting your own seals. He casts things in all kinds of materials.

Ray

Granted it's not as classy as Rolex and my circle cutting skills leave something to be desired, but it's something I do when I cant or don't want to put a makers mark on a project. Such as the face of a check book cover. It just adds a more personal touch.

Tom

IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0002.JPG

post-6291-1238338361_thumb.jpg

post-6291-1238338404_thumb.jpg

Smooth on

This company sells all the things you would need to make a mold & the plastic or resin to make the seal if you choose to go this way.

Just call them, tell them what you want to do an they will help you decide what you need.

I use Mold max for my molds and Smooth Cast 300 for the resin.

You can get all kinds of fun ideas on this site.

PRK