$$hobby

"US" buckles

Hi again,

Im looking for a retail supplier for reproduction "US" civil war type buckles. I found some suppliers that had lead in the buckle, but i think solid brass will be better since its for use and not need to be an exact reproduction.

TIA.

i should add that i googled for the buckles, but didnt find much.

i hope that someone has purchased some and can direct me to a retailer.

i should add that i googled for the buckles, but didnt find much.

i hope that someone has purchased some and can direct me to a retailer.

Weaver leather has re-enactment hardware in their catalog but they are a wholesaler not a retailer. Greg

Try doing a search for Civil War Sutlers - http://www.jarnaginco.com/ is one that has quite a bit of stuff. A lot of the japanned finished buckles you buy are just painted black, or thats how they were a few years ago.

If your wanting japenned finished buckles, buy steel buckles, heat them to a dull red and drop them in a bucket of old used motor oil. This seems to blacken them up enough to satisfy most of the reeactors.

Steve

Weaver leather has re-enactment hardware in their catalog but they are a wholesaler not a retailer. Greg

i have access to weavers, but they dont have any buckles. US buttons and such for tack/bridles. but no buckles.

Try doing a search for Civil War Sutlers - http://www.jarnaginco.com/ is one that has quite a bit of stuff. A lot of the japanned finished buckles you buy are just painted black, or thats how they were a few years ago.

If your wanting japenned finished buckles, buy steel buckles, heat them to a dull red and drop them in a bucket of old used motor oil. This seems to blacken them up enough to satisfy most of the reeactors.

Steve

the customer im making the belt for is not concerned about reenactors. he just likes the US. unfortunately hes too lazy to do any research himself so i have to try and find one. i just love trying to buy/shop for other people - not.

Sutlers was one of the sites i found earlier. they have some nifty stuff, but non of the buckles i could see.

like i mentioned before, he just want a brass buckle with US on it.

thanks for the link and help

Edited by $$hobby

I have an original US calvary belt and buckle. The belt is fragile but it is all there. What is your client willing to pay. Greg

thats not going to happen. im making him a belt/holster and he just wants the buckle. it doesnt have to be a real one, a copy/reproduction is fine.

thanks anyway.

it will do. hopefully the buckles will be usable for the belt/holster setup.

thanks.

This is a resource I use allot.

http://www.newbigbook.com/default.htm

you know. I have that book/cat but forgot all about it since i buy locally and/or use weavers when i cant. but thank you for reminding me about it. i will have a look-see.

i found out that the buckles are lead filled also. but i did find someone making SOLID BRASS ones.

Hello,

Here are three direct dealers and makers of US Buckles.....

www.civilwarbuckles.com Tim makes them and is very easy to deal with.

www.milwarehouse.com Jim is a great guy and will wholesale.

www.hanoverbrass.com very top of the line and can do red brass.

Hope this helps!

CD

If you look for bridle buckles for the civil war period Weaver has the #121 SB buckle .

/ Knut

If you look for bridle buckles for the civil war period Weaver has the #121 SB buckle .

/ Knut

I have to agree with Military Repro01...Hanover brass is the most outstanding CW buckle company out there. I have several of his buckles...I used to portray a NC soldier, and therefore have NC starburst buttons of his on my 7-button shell jacket, plus a couple/three of his NC State seal two-piece sword buckles. Also picked up one of his Texas star buckles--2-piece sword buckle. His are best because he has outstanding originals and he makes the copies from sandcasts of those buckles...every one a 'first generation' belt buckle. Great guy to work with. Mention my name and you might get a slight nod of recognition...no discounts...just a slight nod of recognition. I send ALL CW reenactors to Gary Williams at Hanover Brass. I love his stuff. And no, I am not paid to say this. Check out the buckles on his page...especially opening some of the thumbnails so you can see the sharp detail of his pieces.

Of course, he has northern as well as southern buckles...plus others. The buckles from the various states (including NY, MA, KY, TX, LA, SC and CA) are absolutely outstanding.

Sparks

Edited by Sparks