Lividya

Hot To Get Bone Color?

Hi everyone! I was wondering how I could get a bone color on leather? Color like the pictures show here. I have tried to make a mix with acrylic color and water for a base, but the leather comes kind of shiny and dye applied after the accrylic won't stay. Any one knows what I could use?Thanks!!

post-37967-0-44553600-1386725200_thumb.j

post-37967-0-63360900-1386725235_thumb.j

post-37967-0-61310900-1386725271_thumb.j

Leather's already basically that color. it just might need some burnishing and higlights afterward. Possibly some antiquing.

Acrylic sits on top of leather and SEALS it

Dye penetrates leather and changes the color of it. That's why your dye wouldn't stay on and do anything.

Whenever possible, ALWAYS use dye if you want a product that will last.

Well, I'd have to say the bone color on the first could possibly be acrylic paint applied after other dying. Potentially drybrushed with several colors (such as ivory, cream, ocher, tan, white, gold), then antiqued (either with a thin very much watered wash of acrylic and allowed to settle into the crevices before sealing or with a thicker wash of paint after sealing) and detailed. the shiny can be addressed by using matte good-quality acrylics and a matte or satin acrylic finish. The last one is as Cyberthrasher says, the natural color of the undyed/unpainted leather. I'm not sure about the middle one.

Thanks for your help!

I have been trying to find bone colored dye for a while now and all I've found was shoe dye. Did any of you ever tried show dye on a project? Did it come out well?

The middle one looks like it's molded and antiqued for some highlights, possibly with some brown dyes in the recessed areas.

I personally have not tried the shoe dye, so I can't say one way or another. But, you might also consider lightening leather by using oxalic acid to bleach it a bit? Other leatherworkers use it to remove dirt and stains from leather, and it might lighten your natural leather to a lighter hue. Might have to get some more experienced people to chime in on this though.

Well, here's how I do it...

I paint the skull/bones with a white/off white color and then put on a resist of 2 layers. It's important to let the resist dry for a day or so. Then I use the old Tandy antiquing medium brown (it might work with the new from Tandy or other brands???). The longer you let the antiquing sit, the darker the white will go.

If you like the effect that antiquing makes with the black in all cuts etc. but do not want the coloring from this type of antiquing, then get the Hi-Liter from the Fiebing brand. Follow the same steps as above.

Here's some example from what I've made :-)

post-5624-0-18992800-1386835944_thumb.jp

Edited by Tina

Oh wow! your work is awesome!!! This is exactly what I'm looking for!What kind of resist do you use? For the white color, do you just use acrylic?

You might also take a look at Angelus acrylics at www.turtlefeathers.net as they make several colors that fit the bill.

God Bless.

Ray

Oh wow! your work is awesome!!! This is exactly what I'm looking for!What kind of resist do you use? For the white color, do you just use acrylic?

Thanks a load :-)

I use Angelus Acrylic Finisher (and dyes), and I do get it from the link above.

Yes, I use an acryllic paint, one of the better ones (American something) in 2 oz bottles (?) from Joanns will work just fine :-) Paint thinn layers with the paint and several layers until you're happy, way better than one or two thick layers.

If you want to play around with it, you can use super sheen as a resist too, since it's basically just clear acrylic. You just gotta let the piece dry overnight before the super sheen fully sets up as a good resist, even though it'll dry to the touch before then. I've had good results using this with the newer antique gels they have, but I don't have pics of anything because they were all just playing with some different techniques on some scraps while working on other stuff. I guess if you wanted, I could make a couple of demo pieces for ya to show what I mean.

Thanks everyone. This is a lot of help! I think I will try with Angélus acrylic since I can order it online. I'm from motréal Québec, and have no clue what Joanns is :-) I'll show you all the result I achieve, all thanks to you!

JoAnns is JoAnn FAbrics and Craft Store. and the paint Tina was mentioning is the Americana brand.

http://www.joann.com/deco-art-americana-2-oz-acrylic-paint-1pk/prd11432.html#start=1

It's inexpensive, but not one of the "cheap" acrylic paints. "Cheap" acrylic paint can be bought for about the same price as the Americana or less at hobby stores, but the cheap paints are awful--clumpy, inconsistent, gritty, streaky, poor bonding qualities, and just hard to work with.

I think you'll like the Angelus. I had the chance to try some and very much liked it. I plan on getting some Angelus for myself, but not until the spring since my shippers would invariably leave the package out in the cold somewhere along the way, and frozen paint makes an awful mess (yes, personal experience here).

Those who work with Angelus have been very well pleased with them.

Thank you for the info Winterbear. I have visited turtle feathers website and ordered some Angélus paint, along with a pretty nifty dye pen! I can't wait for the order to arrive!!!!