kayrunp

Machines Without Reverse

Hello,

I am looking to get a sewing machine, I am making totes and bags. I found a juki lu-563 subclass 3. Does this model have reverse? I notice a lot of machines don't have reverse. If the machine doesn't have reverse to lock a stitch what do you do? Is there a good looking technique? and would I be paying the price later for not getting a machine with reverse? and anyone have any thoughts on this model? I would like to get something I can work on for awhile. also what servo motor options are there for this?

Thanks a lot for your input!

The best way to lock off without reverse is to turn around (the work) and go the other way. Seasoned sewers lift up and go back two stitches and continue.

For critical work you can leave your tails long and saddle stitch (or lock stitch with an awl) or do a surgeon's stitch.

In my opinion, you really don't need reverse, but it is an easily implemented selling point such that not many new machines are made without it.

Art

Hello,

I am looking to get a sewing machine, I am making totes and bags. I found a juki lu-563 subclass 3. Does this model have reverse? I notice a lot of machines don't have reverse. If the machine doesn't have reverse to lock a stitch what do you do? Is there a good looking technique? and would I be paying the price later for not getting a machine with reverse? and anyone have any thoughts on this model? I would like to get something I can work on for awhile. also what servo motor options are there for this?

Thanks a lot for your input!

Like Art described, I use poor man's reverse sometimes: a 180 degree turn.

Does anyone know if this machine-JUKI LU-563 subclass 3 has reverse to it? I see the 563 advertise with reverse on the internet, but then I see that if it is a 563s it doesn't, so I don't now how the subclass 3 fits into the picture. The guy who has it has no idea about it. They say there is a knee switch on it that my husband, who found it, says it could be the reverse? This will be my first industrial machine so I am as green as they come.

The LU-563 Subclass 3 DOES NOT have reverse. The switch? may be the knee lift for the presser foot, other than that I can't be sure without pictures. The 563 like so many of it's class have the intermittent reverse lever (paddle) on the right front of the machine, so if that is not there, it doesn't have reverse.

It is a well designed machine, copied by many, with a few mods it makes a great medium weight leather sewing machine, I am not as impressed by the N model of the 563. Gregg at Keystone deals with these machines a lot and can tell you a lot about them. I might recommend you use a dealer if you have to be asking these kind of questions. These machines were a big part of the upholstery business and it is possible to get stuck with a dog. Real dealers (not the Internet variety, although some play in both arenas) have mechanics who will go through your machine and fix what ails it, you won't find that on the Internet.

Art

Does anyone know if this machine-JUKI LU-563 subclass 3 has reverse to it? I see the 563 advertise with reverse on the internet, but then I see that if it is a 563s it doesn't, so I don't now how the subclass 3 fits into the picture. The guy who has it has no idea about it. They say there is a knee switch on it that my husband, who found it, says it could be the reverse? This will be my first industrial machine so I am as green as they come.

The LU-563 Subclass 3 DOES NOT have reverse. The switch? may be the knee lift for the presser foot, other than that I can't be sure without pictures. The 563 like so many of it's class have the intermittent reverse lever (paddle) on the right front of the machine, so if that is not there, it doesn't have reverse.

It is a well designed machine, copied by many, with a few mods it makes a great medium weight leather sewing machine, I am not as impressed by the N model of the 563. Gregg at Keystone deals with these machines a lot and can tell you a lot about them. I might recommend you use a dealer if you have to be asking these kind of questions. These machines were a big part of the upholstery business and it is possible to get stuck with a dog. Real dealers (not the Internet variety, although some play in both arenas) have mechanics who will go through your machine and fix what ails it, you won't find that on the Internet.

Art

Again, this info. is correct; Juki LU-563 Subclas 3 designates that this machine does not have reverse. Just a big bobbin walking foot machine.