budd4766

Newbie (Columbia, SC)

New guy here. Got started doing leather braiding for a "rainy day" hobby and got myself hooked. Trying to learn more and more about leatherwork for different projects I have in my head.

Still fumbling around on here, but when I figure it out, I'll post some pics of stuff I've done so far.

Very cool lookin stuff. I'll be down in columbia for the Blind Melon Show on the 3rd of July which is next thursday.

Thanks...that should be a good show. Unfortunately, I'll be out of town all next week and will miss it. Planning to go to the Grandfather Mt. Highland Games up there in NC in a few weeks, though.

IMG_0001.JPGHey Budd I too live in SC. Retired from USC. I'm kinda wracking my brain on the braiding thing too. Heres a whip I'm trying at the moment. Got about 3 ft. of it done so far.

Tom

IMG_0003__2_.JPGIMG_0016__2_.JPG

post-6291-1214442293_thumb.jpg

post-6291-1214442337_thumb.jpg

post-6291-1214442384_thumb.jpg

Very cool...nice work! I want to try a whip....someday...:) Just can't let the wife find it...could be trouble...:)

I just bought the Bruce Grant book, and went off the deep end. I'd like to get into carving and stamping now, so I can add more detail to stuff like the phone cases, but for now, I just do braiding.

We are going to take over here, I live in Lugoff SC

I am no where near as good as you, and some of these folks on this forum are so good that I have no doubt, I will never equal their expertise, but what other hobby will let you pound with a hammer, and actually get something beautiful out of your pounding???? :deadsubject:

Doc

Edited by Doktor

Amen to that Doc. There are some realy good books at the libarary in Columbia. I just took one of them back. Whip making and braiding by Ron Edwards.

We definitely have a strong leatherworker presence here in SC!

I'm not all that experienced, but anybody wants to know anything about stuff I've done, just let me know. I'm not in this to make money...just enjoy doing it. Addicted to it, actually..:)

Hey Budd, Doktor, and Carr, I live in South Carolina too. Doktor I'm right up the road from you. U.S. is main st. of my hometown. I'm north off you in a little spot in the road called Patrick. It's small, but it has been home just about all my life and I like it. Patrick is so small that I live 2 blocks off main st. and have to make a 30 mi. round trip to go to the grocery store. If you've been as far north as McBee, where they grow all the peaches, I'm 15 miles north of there. I go over to Lake Wateree a good bit fishing. I used to go a lot more and fish a lot of bass tournements over there, but since I have been disabled I'm not able and don't have the dollars to go as much, especially for entry fees, etc for the tournys. Anyway I'm sure glad to learn that we have more leatherworkers around than I had thought. I know around here and at least in the larger towns right around me that there aren't very many people who work with leather. Anyway I'm sure glad to here from ya'll here in S.C. and glad to have all of you in the Forum. This is the best place that I've ever seen for leatherwork help and for caring, generous, people. I've been a member for a couple of years and I for one am really grateful for being able to be member of this site. Johanna and I and a bunch more were all members of a leather guild and then some of them starter the forum. It, The Leatherworker.net/Forum, just had it's 2 year birthday, and I'm proud to say that I've been in it almost the whole time. It's about the best leather working move I ever made. Bye for now, gotta go do some honey doo stuff, but I'll catch ya'll later. Billy P

Hey Budd, Doktor, and Carr, I live in South Carolina too. Doktor I'm right up the road from you. U.S. is main st. of my hometown. I'm north off you in a little spot in the road called Patrick. It's small, but it has been home just about all my life and I like it. Patrick is so small that I live 2 blocks off main st. and have to make a 30 mi. round trip to go to the grocery store. If you've been as far north as McBee, where they grow all the peaches, I'm 15 miles north of there. I go over to Lake Wateree a good bit fishing. I used to go a lot more and fish a lot of bass tournements over there, but since I have been disabled I'm not able and don't have the dollars to go as much, especially for entry fees, etc for the tournys. Anyway I'm sure glad to learn that we have more leatherworkers around than I had thought. I know around here and at least in the larger towns right around me that there aren't very many people who work with leather. Anyway I'm sure glad to here from ya'll here in S.C. and glad to have all of you in the Forum. This is the best place that I've ever seen for leatherwork help and for caring, generous, people. I've been a member for a couple of years and I for one am really grateful for being able to be member of this site. Johanna and I and a bunch more were all members of a leather guild and then some of them starter the forum. It, The Leatherworker.net/Forum, just had it's 2 year birthday, and I'm proud to say that I've been in it almost the whole time. It's about the best leather working move I ever made. Bye for now, gotta go do some honey doo stuff, but I'll catch ya'll later. Billy P

I have actually been to Patrick, I, occasionally, will get a hair and jump on the 'Wing, drive a half tank of gas, with no particular place to go, then turn on the GPS and head home. I went to Camden for ice cream, by way of Gilbert, and Lexington, I guess it was around 200 miles to go the 12 miles to the ice cream shop. I make fewer of those trips since the gas has gone NUTS. But sometimes ya just gotta go, if you know what I mean.

Doc

Doc, that sounds like a good road trip. We should hook up sometime and ride up there to see some of Billy's work. I ride a kawasaki 900 custom....and to get some ice cream.... :thumbsup:

Doc, that sounds like a good road trip. We should hook up sometime and ride up there to see some of Billy's work. I ride a kawasaki 900 custom....and to get some ice cream.... :thumbsup:

Works for me, the ice cream place in Camden uses real "dipped" ice cream, none of that imitation ice milk stuff, how 'bout it, Billy???? :grouphug5vj5:

Doc

Welcome! Good to see some of your work on here. I'm a BIG fan of your braiding. I like how the blue works with the turquoise in the concho on your wifes' case. Turned out really nice! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Hope ya'll have a good weekend!

Rich

Hey Dok, Carr, Budd, and you too Rich Just about any time ya'll wanna come up this way let me know. My little town doesnt have a Ice Cream place, but there are a couple of good ones out in McBee. I know for certain that one has the scooped ice cream and the other one, which would probably be the better of the two, has homemade ice cream. they use there on peaches and fruits in it. They also offer homemade cobblers and fresh fruits and veggies grown and picked off their own plants. It is McLeods farms roadside stand. One other thing is they also have a museum with old farming tools and equipment and such. Since ya'll from over towards Columbia have the longest ride let me know when and we'll meet right there on U.S. HWY 1, from Camden a straight shot and I'll show ya'll where it is. Anyway bye for now and we'll get together later. Billy P

scan0003.jpg

post-97-1214600968_thumb.jpg

Hey Dok, Carr, Budd, and you too Rich Just about any time ya'll wanna come up this way let me know. My little town doesnt have a Ice Cream place, but there are a couple of good ones out in McBee. I know for certain that one has the scooped ice cream and the other one, which would probably be the better of the two, has homemade ice cream. they use there on peaches and fruits in it. They also offer homemade cobblers and fresh fruits and veggies grown and picked off their own plants. It is McLeods farms roadside stand. One other thing is they also have a museum with old farming tools and equipment and such. Since ya'll from over towards Columbia have the longest ride let me know when and we'll meet right there on U.S. HWY 1, from Camden a straight shot and I'll show ya'll where it is. Anyway bye for now and we'll get together later. Billy P

Hey, Billy P, I'm going to be just outside your back door tomorrow, (Saturday) I have an amateur radio event up there at Lake Darpo.

Doc

Jumpin' Jehosaphat! Ice cream AND cobbler?!? I'd hurt myself!Doc, this road trip is sounding better and better all the time!Thanks, Rich. You're partly to blame for this new "addiction" with all things leather I now have. My stuff wouldn't look near as good without all the great tips-n-tricks I picked up from you!