jdwintx

Post Bed Machine Singer 52W22

Does anyone know or have experience on this machine or something similar. I found some used ones for about $500 apiece, it is a dual needle Post Bed machine that according to the Singer manual " is a drop feed, ball bearing (no Back) roller presser and long beak hook....intended for medium and heavy leather." I'm probably going to use this for deep seams on bags and bag bottoms among other things. The other machine I was considering was a 29 series Singer or one of the new clones that have the rotating foot which would work for the deep seams but not so much for the bag bottoms. Are there other machines that I should consider?

Thanks as always

You should probably get both although I get along fine with just a post. The 52w22 should be classified along with the 51s as a "real" 52 is a 1 to 10 needle flat bed chain stitch machine. I am thinking $500 is a little high unless the machine is set up, tight, on a table, and has a slow motor like a servo. When they say medium to heavy leather, they really mean light to medium chrome tan, not heavy veg tanned leather like skirting. Max ix probably 3/8 chrome tan. Glue your seams before sewing, the roller foot isn't the greatest for multiple layers if not glued, 2 layers ok not 3 or 4 unglued.

Art

Does anyone know or have experience on this machine or something similar. I found some used ones for about $500 apiece, it is a dual needle Post Bed machine that according to the Singer manual " is a drop feed, ball bearing (no Back) roller presser and long beak hook....intended for medium and heavy leather." I'm probably going to use this for deep seams on bags and bag bottoms among other things. The other machine I was considering was a 29 series Singer or one of the new clones that have the rotating foot which would work for the deep seams but not so much for the bag bottoms. Are there other machines that I should consider?

Thanks as always

Thanks Art - The price on the machine is just for the head ($475) nothing else. I haven't seen anything else that was a post bed for less and buying new would cost over 1K minimum. While I can afford that, I would prefer to find a used one since it will not be a daily driver. As for the 29 series, do you know of any other machines that have the rotating foot? That is the only one I know of with that feature.

Thanks Art - The price on the machine is just for the head ($475) nothing else. I haven't seen anything else that was a post bed for less and buying new would cost over 1K minimum. While I can afford that, I would prefer to find a used one since it will not be a daily driver. As for the 29 series, do you know of any other machines that have the rotating foot? That is the only one I know of with that feature.

Adler 30-1, 30-7, 30-70, Cowboy 2970 and others.

Thanks Wiz, yeah I knew about those as they are just copies of the 29 series, I meant if there were any other totally different machines with this feature, I'm guessing there's not

Thanks Wiz, yeah I knew about those as they are just copies of the 29 series, I meant if there were any other totally different machines with this feature, I'm guessing there's not

Darren, of the website: Anne Bonnys Locker, down under, is importing a Vietnamese type of rotating head patching machine. The latest version is able to use heavy thread and larger needles than other patchers on the market. Look for posts by Anne Bonnys Locker on this forum.

Aside from that machine, all other rotating head machines are basically shoe patchers.

Thanks Wiz but that project is about to be binned as I am having consistency problems. Two out of three machines work fine but the third will only work 70% of the time (just like a 29 clone out of the box - if you are lucky) regardless of what I do to the timing, needle bar etc. It is driving me NUTS. I might put it aside for a month or so and have another go but I think it is an intrinsic problem with the shuttle design. In other news: the treadle version is up and working YAY!

Darren, of the website: Anne Bonnys Locker, down under, is importing a Vietnamese type of rotating head patching machine. The latest version is able to use heavy thread and larger needles than other patchers on the market. Look for posts by Anne Bonnys Locker on this forum.

Aside from that machine, all other rotating head machines are basically shoe patchers.

I can't remember the model number, but some of the old Singer chain stitch machines had rotating heads. Mainly used for chainstitching names on shirts.

Art