staples

I Need Your Advice !

Hello all!

iam new to to the forum and new to leather work, And I need some sound advice on the best machine for my application. I design and make bags. i am considering puchasing a machine that will sew at max 3/8" leather. i have read other threads,and have found sevral machines that look like they would get the job done. I would like a machine that will last long term and has a reasonable price tag for a budget consious newbi.

Sailrite LS-I w/ monster II balance wheel $825.00

Ferdco pro 84LB = $1195.00.

Consew 206RB-5 = $1298.00.

Tacsew 111W-155 W/ STAND. $998.00

Please let me know your thoughts on the above machines, and or any other that would be suitable.

Thank you in advance

Heidi Staples.

The answer to your question about the best sewing machine for bags depends on your definition of "bags." If you could be more specific, possibly posting some photos of samples, we can better serve you.

Also, do you intend to use the machine for regular daily production, or just occasionally? For regular production, a brand new machine is best. The Consew 206RB-5 meets that requirement to some degree, but a Juki 1508 is going to hold up better, for steady production work. Adler, Pfaff and Juki machines are used in production factories World-wide. Not so for Tacsew or other clone knockoff machines.

Seiko makes Consew machines. They are usually considered a secondary-consumer line to the Seiko manufacturing quality machines. It really depends on how much use, at what average RPM, the machine will receive.

Once we see the kind of bags you want to sew, a recommendation regarding flatbed vs cylinder arm can be offered.

You may need to revise your price range if you intend to go into steady production.

Another option is to watch Craigslist, etc. I found an Adler patcher, and the seller also had a Stitchmaster 441 for sale. I have seen a few industrial Singers, Consews, Jukis, etc lately on my local CL. A lot of shops have,or are closing up. The prices have ranged from $125, $300, $600, $1,500.

Hello

Thankyou for your replys.

i make ladies handbags simlar to the onces you may find in a department store. I will try to post a picture.

I will be sewing no thicker than 1/4 -3/8" . i will not be making saddle bags or any item of that thickness. I intained to use this machine 4-6hrs a day.

I did take the 2nd advice and looked on craigs list, but no machines in my area as yet.

thanks Heidi

For ladies' designer handbags you may need a cylinder arm machine to sew the tight corners. However, if they are sewn inside out a flatbed machine will do fine. The zippers will be a bit tricky though, unless you have a cylinder arm machine.

You will want a walking foot machine and several accessory pressor foot sets. These will include: left toe and right toe zipper feet; a piping/welting foot set for each size of welt you intend to sew between the seams; possible an edge binder set, a swing-away edge guide and aim-able lights. Get plenty of bobbins and extra bobbin cases. Buy thread in either 8 oz or 16 oz spools. Buy needles by the hundred, for the main sizes you will be using. Get several quarts of industrial sewing machine oil and load some into small bottles. Most leather sewing machines require frequent manual oiling.

If you decide to buy a used machine, stick with only the top brand names and only buy one that is clean and can be tested before you take it. You will probably want a machine capable of sewing with #138 bonded nylon or bonded polyester thread, using a #21 or #22 leather point needle.

You will want a machine with reverse that matches the forward holes perfectly. Many lesser builds do not match on reverse, without a lot of dinking with the positions of the pressor feet.

If you buy a new machine, get one with a servo motor, not a clutch motor. Servos are much more controllable at slow speed than a clutch motor. Also, you won't need all the torque a clutch motor delivers, for purse leather. You should get a small pulley on the motor (2" to 21/4"), to give slower top speed with a bit more punching power.

Edited by Wizcrafts

Thankyou Wow! you realy know your stuff. i have been looking for machines with the criteria you sugested. could you please tell me what your thoughts are on the Ferdco pro 1010.

Heidi

Heidi, i have a Pro 2000 from Ferdco and i had one spring break " my fault " in 15 years of owning it. The people at Ferdco are great. I think you would be very happy with one of their machines.

John

Thankyou Wow! you realy know your stuff. i have been looking for machines with the criteria you sugested. could you please tell me what your thoughts are on the Ferdco pro 1010.

Heidi

I think that you using a Ferdco 1010 would be like using a tank to take out a sniper. You are looking for a machine to sew ladies' purses, up to maybe 3/8" thickness, with #138 thread, tops. That machine is a very slow speed, heavy stitcher, designed to sew 5/8" with huge needles and heavy thread. Further, it is dual feed, with a feed dog underneath and a driven outer walking foot with teeth on it. This could leave marks in your leather, or metal hardware. It's also about $2000, plus shipping.

If you really want a production machine to sew purses, up to only 3/8" thickness, I have a better recommendation for you. I've done some homework and found that a Cowboy 227-R might be the perfect machine for your job description. It has a 10+ inch cylinder arm, the preferred compound feed walking feet (triple feed, smooth bottoms of feet), a semi-self-oiling system (with manual oiling once a week), can stand up to production use (you mentioned 4 - 6 hours a day), easily sews with #138 thread and has optional accessories available (attachments, folders, edge guides, pressor feet). The design of the arm allows you to sew right up to the left edge of the outer pressor foot and a 10+ inch arm is plenty for purses and vests. Bobbins are installed inside the cylinder, right at the end and can be changed with work still in the machine.

This particular machine comes with a heavy duty table and servo motor. The motor has a lot of power and is easily controllable from under one stitch per second to maybe 10 per second. You may need to sew fast on straightaways, to get the work done in a timely fashion. Most of the big stitchers, like the one you asked about, have a gear reducer pulley that slows the top speed way down. Those machines are not meant to be sewn fast, as it would burn the leather, melt the thread and turn the needles red hot, to do so.

This CB-227-R machine is available already tested and ready to go, from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. Their number is 866-362-7397. Bob Kovar is the owner and is great to deal with.