Sign in to follow this  
Sixer

Dye And Wax Thread For Hand Stitching?

I have a custom holster order that is going to require Orange stitching... the one color I don't have... go figure ;)

Anyhow, I'd like to just buy some white, unwaxed thread, dye it orange, and wax it.

I've never done this before so I have a few questions...

- what type of thread should I look for (nylon, linen, cotton, etc.)?

- what size of thread would be best for hand-stitiching holsters?

- how exactly do I wax the thread?

I have orange dye and bee's wax... I know that I will want to dye the thread first. How would I melt and apply the wax for the best results?

Thanks!

Use linen thread. You won't be sorry. 5 or 7 cord will probably be what you want. To wax, first thread the needles, then run one needle and thread through something like an eye screw or a small cup hook. Hold both needles in one hand and pull the thread tight, run your beeswax up and down the thread a few times. Done

Dan

I agree with Dan. I usually wax my thread before putting it through the needle eye.

Will normal leather dye work on linen? or will he need to use a fabric dye to make it permanent?

I am used to dying fabric, and you normally need to use heat to set the dye...

Natalie

Will normal leather dye work on linen? or will he need to use a fabric dye to make it permanent?

I am used to dying fabric, and you normally need to use heat to set the dye...

Natalie

Thanks for the help!

Natalie, I was wondering the same thing....

I have some Angelus Orange leather dye. I know from experience that most dyes cause permanent stains on fabrics (i.e. my clothes) ;)

Soooo, with that in mind I'm assuming that the leather dye should do the trick. Otherwise I may have to pick up some Rit Dye...

I guess there's one way to find out for sure!

I know the spirit based green dye I tried on a belt I made myself is fading already after 4 and a bit months. I wear it daily as my work keys hang off it. But all I covered the thread with was beeswax / paraffin mix, no clearlac or any other finisher.

Natalie

I just use whatever I have on hand. I use leather dye for brown and Rit for red and yellow. I stick a dauber in the dye and put a weight on the end of the thread and draw the thread over the dauber, let it dry, wax it and go on with it.

Kevin