Toshi

What Kind Of Foam Do You Use?

whatdoyouthink.gifHi! Im wondering what you guys think is the best material for seats. I just got a customer who want me to costomise his Herritage Springer seat.

I cant find memorie foam in my country,at least not yet.

Im not shure which quality i should aim for either.

I have done some seats in the past (a few solo seats) and used neoprene for that purpose.

For the inner layers im thinking of rebound foam, and the last layer must be neopren ( 3mm or 5mm).

But the moore i learn i realize that i want to try memorie foam if i can find somewhere to buy it.

I dont want my customer(s) to ride on crap.

I used a closed cell foam. It is waterproof and you can shape it with various sandpaper attachments like on a drill or anything that spins. It is available in many different thicknesses and can be glued and stacked to get the desired level and shape.

Thanks for your advise.

Neoprene is a close cell foam as well but one cant really shape it.

But since it will be the last layer, it works for me.

What kind of closed cell do you use? and where do you buy it?

Since i live in Sweden i allways have to,( more or less) order from England or somewhere else.

Best regards

The problem with neoprene is after about 6 months to a year depending on how often the bike is ridden it starts to get flatter and flatter. I personally have done testing with all types and the gym matt works the best.

What you want to get your hands on is Polyvinyl Chloride Nitrile Butadiene Rubber also know as gym matt rubber.

http://www.closedcel...sticrubber.html sizes up to 2"

Don't use those camping matts they are the wrong kind of foam!

But here is the Neoprene you can use.

http://www.closedcel...m/neoprene.html sizes up to 2" but it is very ,very expensive almost 3 times the price of gym matting foam.

We have a store here in Finland called Etola that sells the right stuff.

http://www.etola.fi/en/branches/industrial-products/

You can for sure get it in Sweden, any kind of industrial store that sells foams should have it...places you can buy bedding foam or packing/insulating foam. But Etola will ship it to you if you get it online.

Edited by chancey77

I just use gym mat closed cel foam as well. It is easy to work with (shape) and everyone seems to be happy with it. My seats tend to go on real bikes that get some serious miles on them. The mounting of the seat is just as important as the quality of foam you use when you factor rider comfort.