Wolfsax

Totally New To Sheridan/floral Style

I've got a buddy that came to me recently wanting a rifle sling made for a new gun. He brought me his sling to me from his old gun, which has carving on it, but it's in rough shape (the saddle soap and oil is doing wonders getting it not so stiff and worn looking). The issue I have is I've never done Sheridan carving, I've done mostly stamping, celtic carving, and one or two pictorial carvings. I (mostly) managed to do a 'pencil rubbing' to get an image off the old sling and try to work from there, but I'm not impressed with how some of it's done on the sling (the top flower especially looks off). He's also wanting a slightly wider strap than the previous one.

So, I'm considering buying Sheridan Style Carving and Floral Design Drawing for the Artistically Impaired (cause I'm not the best drawer, and I've never seen a pattern for Sheridan on a rifle sling yet). Are these good choices or is there something else I should consider?

He is also wanting it all one color (to my knowledge so far) to match the "Missouri Walnut Stock", but I'm not sure what would be the best to match this. I'm considering Eco-Flo leather dye colors Bison Brown and Java Brown. Any other suggestions would be helpful. Suggestions on finish would be helpful to. I haven't been super happy with how Super Sheen has been working recently.

Sorry for lack of photos, my camera is MIA

I've got a buddy that came to me recently wanting a rifle sling made for a new gun. He brought me his sling to me from his old gun, which has carving on it, but it's in rough shape (the saddle soap and oil is doing wonders getting it not so stiff and worn looking). The issue I have is I've never done Sheridan carving, I've done mostly stamping, celtic carving, and one or two pictorial carvings. I (mostly) managed to do a 'pencil rubbing' to get an image off the old sling and try to work from there, but I'm not impressed with how some of it's done on the sling (the top flower especially looks off). He's also wanting a slightly wider strap than the previous one.

So, I'm considering buying Sheridan Style Carving and Floral Design Drawing for the Artistically Impaired (cause I'm not the best drawer, and I've never seen a pattern for Sheridan on a rifle sling yet). Are these good choices or is there something else I should consider?

He is also wanting it all one color (to my knowledge so far) to match the "Missouri Walnut Stock", but I'm not sure what would be the best to match this. I'm considering Eco-Flo leather dye colors Bison Brown and Java Brown. Any other suggestions would be helpful. Suggestions on finish would be helpful to. I haven't been super happy with how Super Sheen has been working recently.

Sorry for lack of photos, my camera is MIA

im familiar with both books, the sheridan book will go over the specialty tools needed and will give you a basic overview of how the patterns flow and how to draw them. i am not an artist and have seen the other book and that is more geared to showing you how the patterns flow and has some example pics of different leaf and flowers. if you have the ability to shrink and enlarge things then i would definitely get the one for the artistically impaired.

the big problem is that based on what you have carved before you may be lacking to tools to do a good job, tandy doesn't make most of them like the thumbprints, flower centers (they have one decent one i think) the bar grounder that they make is garbage so don't even bother with that one. plus it takes a lot of practice to do that particular type of tooling. thats why you see it everywhere. IMHO its the best format for "showing off" other than pictorial. and as you know pictorial requires different tools as well so same thing going backwards.

you may want to send it out and have someone do that part for you unless your friend is paying you enough to acquire the tools needed for that project and enough for the hassle. theres nothing worse than taking on a project for a friend and not being happy with it. as long as he knows this up front then go for it and welcome to the world of sheridan lol

post pics too

people on here can help, i would recommend going to barry kings website and checking out his tools and if you have any questions post them and theres enough sheridan guys here to help u quickly

good luck

Thanks for the reply. And he's really not paying me enough, and I think anything I do compared to his old sling he'll be impressed with, honestly. First thing I noticed on it was every bevel hit was distinct. I'm charging him $100 and hoping I can call in a favor later to help make a work bench. He can't afford much else (economy and such). He also knows people and I'm hoping it'll bring in more interest so I can start getting stuff made and sold (I'm unemployed, but fiancee is not, so we're not desperate, but fun money would be nice lol). I figure if I use the money to expand my knowledge base and buy the dye for the project it'll be ok if I don't make a lot of profit out of it.

As for the tools, while I understand I won't have some, I'm not looking to do a spectacular job, adequate (wow, really hate the way that sounds). I also acquired a bunch of my father's old tools from the 90's craftool line, and he did do minor sheridan style work (I'm pretty sure it's from a class at a local Tandy back then), so I think I have enough to get a decent job done.

Now if I could find that dang camera....

Thanks for the reply. And he's really not paying me enough, and I think anything I do compared to his old sling he'll be impressed with, honestly. First thing I noticed on it was every bevel hit was distinct. I'm charging him $100 and hoping I can call in a favor later to help make a work bench. He can't afford much else (economy and such). He also knows people and I'm hoping it'll bring in more interest so I can start getting stuff made and sold (I'm unemployed, but fiancee is not, so we're not desperate, but fun money would be nice lol). I figure if I use the money to expand my knowledge base and buy the dye for the project it'll be ok if I don't make a lot of profit out of it.

As for the tools, while I understand I won't have some, I'm not looking to do a spectacular job, adequate (wow, really hate the way that sounds). I also acquired a bunch of my father's old tools from the 90's craftool line, and he did do minor sheridan style work (I'm pretty sure it's from a class at a local Tandy back then), so I think I have enough to get a decent job done.

Now if I could find that dang camera....

yeah by any means go for it lol...im sure just building a nice quality replacement for him will make him happy enough. as long as that goes well the word of mouth will spread, at least thats what happened to me for holsters (not so much for other things) maybe try looking for some sheridan people in your area to maybe meet up with after you have your leather cut and they could probably help you or lend you a few tools. you can knock out the lifters, thumbprints, and flower centers first. that only leaves you with some beveling and backgrounding pretty much(if you even are backgrounding) I'm sure you have other tools in that kit also...double check to see if he wants "sheridan" or "floral" you can knock out some awesome maple leaves and acorns with a little practice and your tandy tools should be good enough for a good job if you shy away from the sheridan style flowers and leaves

pm me if u have any questions, i think tandy has a few western rigs on sale this month that you could get a pattern from if needed

good luck

ps i had to edit my post because i didn't realize u were a female lol....but yeah check out the instructional pdf for edge finishing with glycerin soap and dying after. definitely gave me a professial look and ill never do anything else, also if your hand stitching i read a good article in a leatherworker magazine i think about wiping the excess wax off before stitching and i drilled my holes with a dremel and a small bit, ran a glass slicker when i was done and then ran the overstitch wheel and it came out great, it the little things like that, most people won't notice but they won't know why it is so nice but as long they know its nice thats all that matters lol

Edited by ouchmyfinger

I really need to find my camera to show what I'm replacing. It was pretty rough. I've been running a ton of saddle soap on it trying to get it clean (turns out there are two deer pictorials on it rather than just one which I initially thought). Hoping to oil it soon, reinforce his 'grip spot' and add a thumb loop. As for meeting up, we're out in the middle of next to nowhere lol. And it may be more 'floral' rather than Sheridan style. I'll try to get something uploaded (goes to search for camera)

Here are some pictures of what I'm replacing. The first picture is an 'overview' of the sling, and the next three are close ups. The top is the view of the top deer, which really shows whoever did this didn't do a smooth bevel. As you can also see, I did a rubbing of the sling just to get an idea of what the general design of the floral part looked like.

post-6118-077399100 1331563280_thumb.jpg

post-6118-024057500 1331563392_thumb.jpg

And the next two parts. I'm going to reinforce the area with the worse damage (around the deer head) by sewing on a piece of leather to the back and adding a thumb loop while I'm at it.

But yeah, this is what I'm replacing. I'm making the new strap a bit wider up at the top. The client wants it in the floral style (no basketweave, which would have been easy lol), his full name on the sling, and possibly a deer head. He's ok with the deer head being the Craftool stamped one with maybe a bit of decoration. But as I said before, I've never done the floral stuff before and it's a bit harder for me to 'envision it' to carve it.

post-6118-085817000 1331563789_thumb.jpg

post-6118-012039800 1331563815_thumb.jpg

You realy dont need many tools to get this style of tooling and do a better job.A swivel knife,beveler,pear shader,seeder will get you very close.It looks to me like all the floral elements in this pattern are all out of Tandy patterns and may have been a kit.It also sounds like you are getting pretty "cluttered" with all the elements you want to use but it's doable. Good Luck.

Jeff

And the next two parts. I'm going to reinforce the area with the worse damage (around the deer head) by sewing on a piece of leather to the back and adding a thumb loop while I'm at it.

But yeah, this is what I'm replacing. I'm making the new strap a bit wider up at the top. The client wants it in the floral style (no basketweave, which would have been easy lol), his full name on the sling, and possibly a deer head. He's ok with the deer head being the Craftool stamped one with maybe a bit of decoration. But as I said before, I've never done the floral stuff before and it's a bit harder for me to 'envision it' to carve it.

he is exactly right, you won't need anything other than he described. it is actually fairly simple to do also, even easier that you have the pattern right there to work off of.

i would rather do that all day than basket weave the whole thing lol. when your done i think you'll say the same thing too. you should be able to knock that tooling out in less time than the basketweave easy, also it goes by faster to me.

I should be good then, cause I have those tools in my tool rack. I'll try to post pictures as I go along