UKRay

Christmas Music - What Do You Think?

Is it just me but do Christmas songs become more irritating every year?

Aside from traditional religious music that adds so much to the festive season (I'm a sucker for Christmas Carols), there are a few timeless classics but not many.

What song needs to be banned for ever and which one needs to be preserved?

Can I start with banning:

(I'm happy to be contradicted, but I'll bet there won't be too many supporters of this one! LOL).

I'd personally retain Frosty the Snowman recorded by Gene Autry and the Cass County Boys in 1950 - but suspect there are a few who would kill that off too...

Over to you!

Ray

Is it just me but do Christmas songs become more irritating every year?

Aside from traditional religious music that adds so much to the festive season (I'm a sucker for Christmas Carols), there are a few timeless classics but not many.

What song needs to be banned for ever and which one needs to be preserved?

Can I start with banning:

(I'm happy to be contradicted, but I'll bet there won't be too many supporters of this one! LOL).

Ray

That's one of my favourites. Personally I can't stand Bing crosby's "white christmas" and I suspect the rest of the country is rapidly going off it too.

This reply doesn't exactly respond to your question but I had to throw in my two cents. There's a Christmas song the Bellamy bros. did with the same tune as "Old hippy", titled "Old hippy Christmas" that I really enjoy. I've only heard it maybe three times over the years (don't know when it was first recorded). Takes me back to the early '70s around Steamboat Springs, Colo.

Would like to have a copy.

Terry

Merry Christmas to everybody and a happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year

I hate that song by the Waitresses, "Christmas Wrapping" I think it's called? Unfortunately, my husband loves it.

If I could ban a song, it would be Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer. They even made a cartoon of it, and it was awful!

I think we should just ban christmas, that way we wont have to listen to all the crap that gets played at this time of year.

BAR FREEKIN HUMBUG:yes:

The Dogs yapping Jingle Bells. It was funny the first couple of times, and that should have been the last time it was played, but Noooooooooooooo, when it first came out, it was on every station two or more times an hour. Now I just can't stand to hear it more than once a Christmas.

Christmas songs by dead people are ok, Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Burl Ives. Music (no singing) by Mannheim Steamroller and others is good.

Art

I've had enough of Frosty the Snowman, Jingle Bells, all the songs that are "politically correct" and don't mention God or Jesus. O Holy Night, Away in the Manger and Silent Night are my favorites for singing Christmas carols door-to-door. I used to sing Handel's Messiah every year with a choir, and I think I want to start doing that again.

Hi Johanna,

You know, the same thing happened the other night when I ordered the Super Bacon Beef and Cheddar with a double order of Curly Fries; were they maybe trying to tell me something about my cholesterol?

Art

I've had enough of Frosty the Snowman, Jingle Bells, all the songs that are "politically correct" and don't mention God or Jesus. O Holy Night, Away in the Manger and Silent Night are my favorites for singing Christmas carols door-to-door. I used to sing Handel's Messiah every year with a choir, and I think I want to start doing that again.

We have 3 radio stations in the Philadelphia area playing Christmas music 24/7. You'll be surprised how many versions of Jingle Bells there are. Also, working in a hospital I'm subjected to muzak all day. Now imagine Christmas muzak.....all......day......long.........

I don't think it's Christmas until I hear Fairytale of New York by The Pogues and Kirsty McColl. I wonder why they never play it in the supermarkets . . ? :eusa_naughty:

This is still my Favorite!!