redguitar

Prevent Finished Carving From Collapsing

I don't know if this topic has already been addressed on the forum, as I can't find anything, so I apologize in advance if my question has already been addressed elsewhere.

After finishing a carving, I have been using a technique I found here of oiling with 100% Neetsfoot oil, then one coat of Resolene, then antiquing paste, then another coat of Resolene.

What I'm having happen is my carving collapses more or less after applying Resolene only. Even with a very quick application and wiping immediately, this is still happening.

I see a lot of folks use a 50/50 mixture of Resolene and water. I think that would make things even worse.

I don't have a sprayer for the Resolene.

Is there something I can do so that my work doesn't colllapse?

Thanks!

Hi Red. A picture would really help. I use resolene all the time 50-50 and don't have this problem so maybe the carving is still too wet or it could be something about how you're applying the neetsfoot which I don't use but plan to on some leashes I'm making for some pups in case they chew. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Cheryl

I'm also the master of run on sentences :)

Edited by DoubleC

Hi, After you're done tooling the piece, are you letting it completely dry before oiling? If not, that could be part of your problem. Especially if you are somehow bending the leather before it's dry. Ed

Thanks for your replies.

I usually apply the Neatsfoot right after I've finished the piece. I apply it with sheep's wool. I wipe off the excess with sheep's wool and there is still oil in the cuts and crevices. It seems the oil has some effect upon the collapsing but I'm not 100% sure.

I let the oiled piece dry overnight, then apply one coat of Resolene. I don't have an airsprayer, so I usually wipe a liitle bit on the piece full-strength with sheep's wool as quickly as possible and then wipe the residue with a new piece of wool. Again there is still Resolene in the cuts and crevices that the wool doesn't pick up, and I don't know if that is where the problem is coming from.

I tried the 50/50 and that made it worse due to the water.

I live in a very dry climate so the overnight wait seems to be adequate. Maybe it needs more drying time to cure?

I don't have photos up to this point, but I will start documenting in the future.

Interesting question regarding bending the leather. I may have done that...not sure, though.

Edited by redguitar

IMO - I think your problem is as Bearman suggested. You must let your piece dry completely, before doing anything else to it.

I always let my leatherwork dry overnight (24 hours and I know for sure) in-between oiling, dying, finishing etc... Others may not wait as long... for the other steps

but *after tooling - your piece should be completely dry before you do anything else...

Also, after (neatsfoot) oiling, it takes some time for the oil to even out, so I wait a day before I add dye

It will be interesting to hear how long others wait inbetween steps... :thumbsup: