SkullCanyon

Pearson/busmc #6

My first post on the forum.

I will take delivery on Wednesday Aug. 4th, 2010 of my recently purchased BUSM # 6. serial no. 11406.

I know this machine will tackle the heavy work, like butter, but!!

Does anyone with one of these beauties know how light of a weight of leather I might expect to get through her with a 160 needle/138 thread?

I primarily will be making sandals,saddlebags and portfolios. For this I will have a heavier thread/needle combo.

My hope is to be able to stitch 2-3 ounce wet molded leather masks as well as the heavy stuff with this one.

Also, I am looking at Creative leather has some Junker and Ruh sole stitchers rebuilt and for sale.

Anyone with experience with these? Pros/cons

Since I'll have the #6 do I even need a dedicated sole stitcher?

Thanks in advance- Ken Hopkins

The #6 should handle the lighter stuff, but the problem you'll probably have is finding smaller gauges of needle for it. As far as I'm aware, the #230 is the only vaguely easily available size.

The Junker & Ruh has the same issue - needles for it are a bugger to find. It's also quite limited in its throat depth.

If you want something for fine work, try and get a smaller cylinder bed machine like a Singer 45k.

My first post on the forum.

I will take delivery on Wednesday Aug. 4th, 2010 of my recently purchased BUSM # 6. serial no. 11406.

I know this machine will tackle the heavy work, like butter, but!!

Does anyone with one of these beauties know how light of a weight of leather I might expect to get through her with a 160 needle/138 thread?

I primarily will be making sandals,saddlebags and portfolios. For this I will have a heavier thread/needle combo.

My hope is to be able to stitch 2-3 ounce wet molded leather masks as well as the heavy stuff with this one.

Also, I am looking at Creative leather has some Junker and Ruh sole stitchers rebuilt and for sale.

Anyone with experience with these? Pros/cons

Since I'll have the #6 do I even need a dedicated sole stitcher?

Thanks in advance- Ken Hopkins

This machine uses the same needle as the Landis 1. The needle size you need is the Schmetz 331and needle size 7x1

will also fit. Needles are available from the Landis Sales Co. Phone 217 543 3464. Hang on to your wallet. I have

a box of the 160 7x1 needles they have a ball end but they will work for leather.

Edited by busted