melliel

Broke The Tip Off My Shuttle Hook On A Consew 226R1. Help On How To Remove And Replace It?

This machine has been so great to me over the years that I've never actually had to replace anything mechanical so far. I was trying to sew something much too thick for the poor machine (an old circus tent's webbing) and was forcing the hand wheel down to try and complete the stitch. After a few broken and bent needles, it was no longer picking up the bobbin thread.

This is when I felt the tip of the hook and noticed it was rough and seemed like just a tiny piece had snapped off. So I set to work trying to get it out and realized I don't know what I'm doing. Anybody have this issue or can direct me to removing it? I live in the super sticks and there are no repair people here. Any hints would be much appreciated! Thanks

Good luck with the repair I have no idea how to help with that, but we must be neighbors we live in the same place those of us from the super sticks have to keep together you have my understanding and best wishes on this lol

when it is not picking up the bobbin thread and you have sewn too thick / hard materials it is probably just the needle bar that is out of time and you have to lower it a bit. Remove the needle plate and look where the hook meets the needle.

To adjust the needle bar take a look at this thread,

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=56271

Another member had this issue with his Juki 563 which is pretty much the same machine.

If the hook its not badly damaged or broken you should be able to sharpen the tip with sandpaper carefully.

Can you take some pictures of the hook?

The easiest way to change it is,take both feet off,then take needles plate off,the take the bobbincase opener off,then you can loosen the 2 screws on the small gear on the hook pull it out being careful to not let the gear fall off,also notice were the slot is in the gear so you can line the now up the same.Re-install everything & then check to make sure the new hook point doesn't hit the needle & that's it.

Hey, thanks so much for all your help and instructions! It's been so nice to get much needed help. Now I am just searching for the part and have the confidence to install it when it arrives and get right back to work.

On one of my machines the hook got broken rather badly and I took it out took it to the grinder resharpened it polished it with fine sand paper and have been using it for years without a missed stitch. Not everything that gets broke has to be replaced.