Railrider1920

New To Site And Leather From Nw Fla

Hi Folks,

I just wanted to say hello. I'm new to the site and brand new to leather working. I was planning on getting into leather work to make some sheaths for the knives I am starting to make, but I'll be jumping into it much sooner and head first. My wife saw a kindle cover online that she loved. but $70 is kind of pricey so I figured I'd give it a shot. Like I said, jumping in head first, lol.

I live in North West Fla panhandel. Are there any members in this general area that anyone knows of?

Rob

Purchasing a quality piece of leather is well worth the price, that Kindle cover is going to cost you much more than $70, but you will also get tools and experience and who can put a value on experience.

What K said!!! You'll be several hundred dollars into that Kindle cover by the time you're done.....but it's worth it.

I'm not in the panhandle, but I AM just across the state line...and the bay...in Mobile.

I stopped by a Tandy store on New Orleans one day and got a shoulder of tooling leather and one stamp when they were on sale. It's a start. I'm hoping to make knife sheaths as well so I'll wind up getting the tools anyway.

TwinOaks,

Is there anyplace in Mobile to get leather working tools or leather supplies? I go through Mobile all the time. I keep looking over the side of the bridge wishing I was in a boat there instead of a PU truck.

Edited by Railrider1920

There's a little place called Beads and Leather on the southbound service road between Cottage Hill Rd and Government St. It's a small shop, and they carry mostly Tandy merchandise ...including the leather. Their prices are a bit higher than online order + shipping, but have the advantage that you see what you get and you get it right then. It's not my first choice for getting supplies, but I've used them when I needed something - now -.

Other than that, there really isn't any place locally.