benlilly1

The Strongest Glue

I need to glue veg tan leather to fiberglass. What are the best glues for this? It will be in the elements. I can't have this coming loose.

The plan is to form the leather around the fiberglass and gluing what comes around on the bottom. This is going to set into the seat cover as it is shown in the photo which is another fiberglass form.

post-19391-0-98399400-1382473347_thumb.j

Two part epoxy like JB Weld.

I've been using 3M #98 spray adhesive on my wallet liners. Seems to hold on very tough. At like 15 bucks per can it better be good!

Andy

The 2 part epoxy is probably stronger than Weldwood contact cement, . . . but my experience is that if you try to take apart two pieces of leather that have been properly joined with Weldwood, . . . you literally rip one or both of the pieces of leather.

So, . . . long and short,.........the Weldwood held, . . . the leather separated.

I'd try Weldwood first on a test piece. Just remember that if you are using it on the hair side, . . . you have to seriously rough that up with a wire brush or something.

May God bless,

Dwight

You should also rough up the fibreglass so the cement can stick and bond to it. Smooth, especially shiny surfaces don't bond well and can be pulled apart.

Tom

Two part epoxy is exclusive for bonding to fiberglass.

It's like acrylic, not everything will bond to it so you have to use specific products.

Thanks everyone! I have JB Weld so I'll experiment with that first. The flesh side will be adhering to the fiberglass so I should have a good bond.

JB is like steel when it hardens so try to keep it away from any needle work you may be doing after it sets up.

Barge Cement is used for adhering leather and rubber soles,which have to be weather proof. That would be my choice. Easier to use than a two part, flexible and penetrating. Second roughing up the glass.

Cya!

Bob

I don't know, but...What about the fiberglass resin? Sorry for the off the wall thought.

We use PL500 on construction jobs. Once it sets up good luck ever getting it apart. I've used it to adhere leather on several items and it worked great.

Barge is best IMHO