Sign in to follow this  
niftytack

Need some advice on repairing an older saddle

I have a saddle that I need to replace the leathers on and still use the original finders is there a way I should and should not do this? also need to replace the old buckles with new Blevins buckles. I know with out pictures it might be hard to tell, so I will add them in a bit.

Thanks

Lena

If the fender and lower stirrup leather are one piece and in good condition all you need to do is drill out the rivets, add a new stirrup leather, add a new blevins and refasten at the top of the fender to the new leather. Sometimes the fender is separate from the stirrup leather and just reattached on a new one. Just copy what was done before.

I have a saddle that I need to replace the leathers on and still use the original finders is there a way I should and should not do this? also need to replace the old buckles with new Blevins buckles. I know with out pictures it might be hard to tell, so I will add them in a bit.

Thanks

Lena

I'm not quite sure how to attach the new leather to the old finders. any suggestions I have a few Ideas but would like to here from you all first.

IMG_0154.JPG

IMG_0155.JPG

post-8057-125546141738_thumb.jpg

post-8057-125546149382_thumb.jpg

Ok there has got to be someone on here that works on saddles more than I do.

The finders were riveted and was wondering what would be the best option to attach new leathers to?

leather or more rivets?

any ideas?

I would trim back the ends where the old AlRay buckles were to get into some fresh leather and then just use copper rivets to attach the new leathers with.

I would trim back the ends where the old AlRay buckles were to get into some fresh leather and then just use copper rivets to attach the new leathers with.

What about using latigo lacing in the holes instead of metal rivets? as it is cracked around the edges from the old rivets.

Thanks

My sense is that good-quality leather lacing would be sufficent, since some saddles were constructed that way from the start, but I would be interested to hear from those who know more.

On a related issue, can one still buy quick-adjust al-ray buckles from somewhere, or are they out of production?