ABC3

For all you Holster makers

Do most of you find it necessary to reinforce the belt slots on a pancake holster. I tried to sew a couple of belt slots last night and found it to be a major undertaking. Needless to say, that holster now has a home in the "ugly box."

Tom: Pancake style holsters usually require no reinforcement of the belt slot areas (assuming the leather being used is of sufficient weight and thickness for the job). If you are not already doing so, try cementing those areas securely during the assembly process. This allows the slots to be cut and formed without the leather shifting and the end result should be just fine.

Belt slots don't need reinforcing. I don't do mine. I suppose some customers would see extra stitching as "more secure". Similar to how they look at double stitching. Personally, I think it is a waste.

As Lobo stated, cement the area well during construction, stitch it well and the holster will hold up just fine.

Lobo / Shorts: Thanks for the reply. I do cement well & then punch out the slots after sewing the holster. I agree that sewing the slots is a waste but several do reinforce so I was wondering.

You all have a great week end.

Stay safe....

Lobo / Shorts: Thanks for the reply. I do cement well & then punch out the slots after sewing the holster. I agree that sewing the slots is a waste but several do reinforce so I was wondering.

You all have a great week end.

Stay safe....

I agree. If the holsters are really used, the stitching wears out pretty fast; looks bad. Also seems to encourage splitting on some I've seen (and repaired...)

Same-same. I've never reinforced mine and have never had a complaint. As the above posters have said....plemty of glue during assembly and soup-a-man couldn't get it apart. When your hand stitching, the less you gotta stitch...the better!!!! Semper-fi Mike

Do most of you find it necessary to reinforce the belt slots on a pancake holster. I tried to sew a couple of belt slots last night and found it to be a major undertaking. Needless to say, that holster now has a home in the "ugly box."

Just another two cent's worth. Stitching is not needed, however, the biggest problem that I have seen is that some newer makers seem to get the slots too close the the edge of the 'wings'. Gotta have some leather between your slot and your edge. Mike