seveneves

Yellow Laundry Soap Instead Of Saddle Soap?

I remember reading in Bruce Grants book about using yellow laundry soap to instead of saddle soap mainly because it's cheaper. I didn't really know what he meant so I went to teh grocery store and found and old fashioned looking bar of yellow soap. I don't know if that's what he meant but it seemed to work great for me and was really cheap. Has anyone else used this?

I remember reading in Bruce Grants book about using yellow laundry soap to instead of saddle soap mainly because it's cheaper. I didn't really know what he meant so I went to teh grocery store and found and old fashioned looking bar of yellow soap. I don't know if that's what he meant but it seemed to work great for me and was really cheap. Has anyone else used this?

Sounds like it was maybe glycerine soap. If you would shave it down and dissolve it in some water and add some kidney fat or lard if you can't find the fat, then after it is all emulsified, use an electric mixer and whip it until you have the consitency of pudding, you'll have a good plaiting soap.

Speaking of alternatives, does any one use crisco vegetable fat for soap?

yes i tryd crisco , a mixture that a man hoo dos whipt told me about ,crisco ivory soap amd whather , i did not like it made leather always smeld like soap

but he gos by it , me nop not for me

Well at least it would smell clean

lol

yes i tryd crisco , a mixture that a man hoo dos whipt told me about ,crisco ivory soap amd whather , i did not like it made leather always smeld like soap

but he gos by it , me nop not for me

Try putting a couple drops of eucalyptus oil in the mix.

I have always used Murphy's Oil Soap (available at most supermarkets) for cleaning tack.

When the leather is moist, is a good time for conditiioning with fats.

Regards,

Steve

I would avoid using any fat or grease beacuse it will make it really hard to rewet srings when working. Just an observation if your braiding rawhide.

Edited by Leatherpownder

leatherpownder is absolutely right....if you use any kind of oil on rawhide you can not retemper the strings. no neatsfoot or murphys or any other products like that. however lard is different when mixed with the soap and whipped into an emulsion. you will notice that it doesnt seperate when stored like a mix of oil and soap would.