Sign in to follow this  
doe

Using A Callus Remover As A Skiver?

Hear me out. I was in the skiver section of a site that sells leather tools and in with the purpose-built skivers was a German pedicure tool--a corn/callus shaver. That got me thinking. Tweezerman makes a callus shaver that's readily available in the U.S. at Sally Beauty stores, and you can get replacement blades easily. It's under $6, so a bargain compared to Tandy's. I'm just starting out and already $200+ deep in tools, so I'd rather save wherever possible.

Any reason this won't work for light skiving along the edges of leather? It's a bit creepy to think about this way but shaving down a callus is basically skiving your foot...

I bought one a while back...the one I got had a thick, plastic handle which snapped the second or third time I used it. Pretty much worthless.

Would be a lot better if you can find one that is solid metal...

Thanks, that's good to know. I used to have one in my pedicure kit but I got rid of it. Now I'm kicking myself.

I did just discover that a cuticle remover works as an edge beveler in a pinch...