padparasha

Question Comparing Barry King Grooved Edger To Tandy's Edgers...

Good Morning all and thank you for reading my post.

I've been using a Tandy keen edge groover #2, and lately it's been tearing into my leather instead of smoothly edging it. I'm thinking it's because I'm using a thinner leather and that this just can't be avoided with this tool.

I want to upgrade to a nice new tool, but I'm not sure which one. Is there a big difference between the Barry King edger and the Tandy? and then also is there a difference between Ron's tools and Barry Kings tools? All are different price points, so it's hard to tell what I really need to do the job. For reference, I make dog collars and am using a Tandy #2 edger.

The grooved edgers are around $55 for Barry King and Ron's tools round edger is about $90. (and what about Montana edgers?)

Any advice on if I need to upgrade and what the difference is between the tools would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!! :cowboy:

Have yo stropped your edger? All cutting tools need maintenance.

I use Ron's edgers, most by Ron himself but a few newer ones by Toby. They are all excellent, albeit expensive. The Montana edgers are great for thin leather like 2-3 oz.

Art

Thank you Matt & Art. I have not stropped it - I guess I need to learn how to do that! :dance:

I'll read up on that, and then also seriously consider purchasing from Ron's Tools. His tools

look *amazing*! I'm just nervous about spending close to $100 for one tool. Hopefully it will

be all that and more if I do. :)

Thank you for your replies. :cowboy:

Edited by padparasha

To strop just get some rouge on the edge of a piece of thin cardboard like the back of a note pad and drag the edger down the rouged edge on the cutting edge.

David

Do you have a leather strop that you've made? Just edge it like you would any other piece of leather and rub the compound in. It will be the exact shape of your edger.

George Hurst has a video on how to sharpen bevelers.

The problem is the tool quality itself. I bought a beveler from Tandy and liked it, so I bought another in a different size. The burr was so big that I wasn't able to sharpen it properly no matter how hard I tried.

I upgraded to a goodsjapan edge beveler (http://www.goodsjapan.jp/item/other-tools-needles/craft-sha-deluxe-leathercraft-/lid=29748324), and you would not believe the difference. Cuts through like butter, and it comes with sharpening apparatus to boot. I realize I sound like a salesperson for them (I'm not), but you get what you pay for.

Rons tools come with a sharpening rod. On a scale of 1-10 Tandy is 1, BK is an 7.5 and Ron is a 9.5. I have them all and use Rons.

I only use my Ron's edgers, The others are in my tool stand just taking up room!

When you refer to Ron's edgers, are you talking about the Montana edgers or another type from Ron?

Thanks

2 hours ago, Leathervester said:

When you refer to Ron's edgers, are you talking about the Montana edgers or another type from Ron?

Thanks

That post is from 2013.

For big heavy leathers, I prefer Bob Beard's edgers. For everything else, I use Ron's.