Gregory

Shaggy On The Backside

I have a piece of veg tan that is so shaggy on the backside that I'm not sure I even want to use it. Is this a problem from when it was tanned? Should I not worry about it or just move along? Thanks from a noob- Greg

A problem from the quality of the splitter at the tannery. Up to you if you accept it for the work you do. Quality leather looks similar on the front and rear sides.

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I have a piece for test samples.

Depends on what you are using it for. Most of it I toss in the scrap pile. If it's not too bad I can occasionally find a use for it. You can skive off some of the flesh stuff to make it better. Also thins it some. Sanding can help occasionally. Best bet is getting good leather, but sometimes it does not work out as well. I have also found that a rough looking flesh side usually is an indicator of flaws on the grain side. Wrinkles, odd grain issues, and weak spots mostly. Overall, it's a lot of trouble to work with and poor quality if it's really nappy.

I would agree with this. If I've got some really nappy leather, while not being a tremendous issue in of itself, it usually indicates larger issues with the tan. Good quality, well handled leather shouldn't have such problems.

Belly leather? -- Tex

Belly leather? -- Tex

Most of my problem stuff is. Which I know now. But back when I started and bought leather by the foot, maybe 8 foot at a time, I had no idea where the cut was. Now that I buy it by the sides it's clear. Since he mentions being a noob I'm assuming it's not a side and hard to tell what part goes where. But your most likely right. Occasionally I'll get a side with some odd flesh parts up farther than normal. But the closer to the belly cut the worse things get.

The problem with buying small pieces is you don't know what your are getting. What they don't tell the new guys is you might get a cut on the back that is 100% useful or you might get a cut from spine to belly that's 50-60% useful. BTDT, got the scraps.