Sign in to follow this  
glockanator

Upholstery Leather To Line Holsters

I can get some rather large upholstery leather scraps for free and was wondering if it would be good to line holsters with? I would hate to make one and have and issue with the finish on the gun because of the leather.

Thanks

Others might have more to say but I have always been told you only want veg tan against any metal for long periods of time.

I can get some rather large upholstery leather scraps for free and was wondering if it would be good to line holsters with? I would hate to make one and have and issue with the finish on the gun because of the leather.

Thanks

It would depend on the tannage. Typical chrome-tanned leather is said to react with steel when wet causing rust - I have never seen this but will trust those who have. Some of the newer tannages may not. However, most upholstery leathers are stretchy and soft which is not usually good for a lining material. For free grab it up and use it for something else (I have ALWAYS found good uses for cheap chrome-tanned leather around my house) - cover your favorite ottoman, resurface the vinyl chairs with leather, make some vests, etc

Edited by JoelR

I too can get large quantiities of scrap upholstery leather. The only things I might use it for on a holster would be decorative inlays or overlays.

Bronson