Fauxred

Wanted: Brogue Punch, Half Circle Punch

I'm looking to do some classic footwear styles and while I know I can do a brogue effect using two sizes of steel punch, it takes me forever to do them! A friend of mine has a steel brogue punch with three prongs that create the brogue pattern. I'm hoping someone has a set that they don't use and would be willing to sell.

Similarly, I'm looking for a half-circle punch as well.

I need punches!!

Thanks everyone,

Rae

fauxred at gmail.com

I'm looking to do some classic footwear styles and while I know I can do a brogue effect using two sizes of steel punch, it takes me forever to do them! A friend of mine has a steel brogue punch with three prongs that create the brogue pattern. I'm hoping someone has a set that they don't use and would be willing to sell.

Similarly, I'm looking for a half-circle punch as well.

I need punches!!

Thanks everyone,

Rae

fauxred at gmail.com

Hi do you have picture of what your after. I have various shapes of pinking irons if they are any good. Oh where are you based?

I forwarded your request to a friend who maybe able to help you. I asked them to email you if they can help out.

Good luck

Hi there,

Thank you so much for responding. I do have photos! The brogue punch my friend has is here: 5959376077_7d4b3a2c88_z.jpg

And then half circle punch is here: 5959935628_607993ab7f_z.jpg

Oh, and I'm in San Francisco.

I really appreciate any help or leads you can give me.

Rae

Hi do you have picture of what your after. I have various shapes of pinking irons if they are any good. Oh where are you based?

Thank you very much. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate the help.

I look forward to speaking with him or her soon!

R.

I forwarded your request to a friend who maybe able to help you. I asked them to email you if they can help out.

Good luck

I have also looked for a brogue-pattern punch! Any directions where I could get one would be greatly appreciated.

I did not know it existed and have tried to get a good pattern by free hand, it´s really tricky.

IMG_20110829_161023.jpg

I found a company called Götz, a German shoe equipment and supplies company, that makes brogue pattern punches.

It´s on page 182 in the catalouge, picture 13. I think the name of the tool is "Patent Zierloch Ausschläger 79701000" but I can´t figure out how the tool is constructed.

I have sent an inquiry for the price, it might be interesting for more than me.

Patent%252520Zierloch%252520Ausschl%2525C3%2525A4ger%25252079701000.jpg

I just got the price confirmed from Götz if any one is interested:

79701000 PATENT ORNAMENT HOLE PUNCH 2360:- ($352)

79701013 ORNAMENT PUNCH INSET N.13 590:- ($88)

Hi, did you ever buy and use the punch from Götz?

I just got the price confirmed from Götz if any one is interested:

79701000 PATENT ORNAMENT HOLE PUNCH 2360:- ($352)

79701013 ORNAMENT PUNCH INSET N.13 590:- ($88)

Hi, did you ever buy and use the punch from Götz?

Hi!

No, I did not. 350$ was a bit much for a prototype but I would consider it if I would ever do a brogue-decor again. It was really time consuming making it with punches.

I understand, definitely. How do you do the tiny holes in the brogue pattern? The smallest punch I have is 5/64 - is there one smaller than that?

Hi!

No, I did not. 350$ was a bit much for a prototype but I would consider it if I would ever do a brogue-decor again. It was really time consuming making it with punches.

I just used a awl for the smallest holes.

I actually found a few tiny punches. Thanks for your reply earlier.

I understand, definitely. How do you do the tiny holes in the brogue pattern? The smallest punch I have is 5/64 - is there one smaller than that?

I know this is an old post; but if anyone is interested, I do have punches like this for sale here.

I know this is an old post; but if anyone is interested, I do have punches like this for sale here.

That's pretty cool! Would you happen to know where to get a punch to create the flower pattern common on toe caps?

That's pretty cool! Would you happen to know where to get a punch to create the flower pattern common on toe caps?

Do you have a picture of what the pattern looks like?

Do you have a picture of what the pattern looks like?

I was thinking along the lines of this or similar (attached). I suppose one could be made fairly easy, just a plate of steel with the proper cutting tubes pressed through or welded in the right pattern.

Check out step two on this page: http://www.habbotstudios.com/_blog/HABBOT_BLOG/post/How_a_brogue_gets_that_way_/

post-8183-0-01419300-1425419558_thumb.jp

Edited by AndyL1

Wow, that is quite a punch. I'd have to think about how that could be made in a cost effective manner. Would be helpful to have a closeup picture of that punch.

Alright, good news. I think the medallion punch is a nice idea, and I was able to get a reasonable price on the punch tips by buying thousands of them. I need to make one first to confirm the labor cost, but ballpark figures for the price of a medallion punch is $50 + 1.45 per hole. I will have 1, 2, and 3mm hole tips.

Alright, good news. I think the medallion punch is a nice idea, and I was able to get a reasonable price on the punch tips by buying thousands of them. I need to make one first to confirm the labor cost, but ballpark figures for the price of a medallion punch is $50 + 1.45 per hole. I will have 1, 2, and 3mm hole tips.

Ah this would be amazing! I'm anxiously awaiting to see what you come up with.

EDIT: I just did a quick count on how many holes that would be. At $1.45 per hole this will get very spendy. Gulp. Still, it would be a great tool!

Edited by AndyL1

Yeah, that design has a lot of holes. Is it just a concept you have, or have you done it by hand before? I am also wondering if you'd be able to penetrate that many holes at once just by hitting with a mallet.

Yeah, that design has a lot of holes. Is it just a concept you have, or have you done it by hand before? I am also wondering if you'd be able to penetrate that many holes at once just by hitting with a mallet.

Just an idea I've had. I don't make shoes so I thought this kind of detail would be great on a bag or wallet. I'd use my press to push the die through. I wouldn't make this up on my account as I couldn't afford it at the moment, but if you're in business to sell a lot of them I would definitely keep an eye out for one.

Edited by AndyL1

Good news, I finally received the tips from the factory. Check it out: http://lekoza.com/Tools/MedallionPunches

I still need to experiment with making the punches, but I've made the tips available for anyone who would like to make their own. Since the price starts to add up on patterns with a lot of holes, I had the tips designed in a way that they can be replaced / reused if you create a face plate on your punch.

Good news, I finally received the tips from the factory. Check it out: http://lekoza.com/Tools/MedallionPunches

I still need to experiment with making the punches, but I've made the tips available for anyone who would like to make their own. Since the price starts to add up on patterns with a lot of holes, I had the tips designed in a way that they can be replaced / reused if you create a face plate on your punch.

Now this has some potential to be a very cool thing! I'm going to have to sketch out some ideas....