I am starting to research spray painting of leather and applying the clear coats. If I would want to look at some relatively inexpensive set ups, what are the brand names and preferred models?

If you do a search on these forums for spray finish or spray dying you will find several threads that discuss just what you are asking. Harbor freight has a compressor a lone for spraying currently on sale for 64.99. They have a complete setup with compressor, hose regulator and spray gun for around $89.00. Several people on here use this set up myself included. It works well for what I do, which is mainly holsters and belts. There are some other brands listed in the threads that are supposed to be better but of course cost more.

Here is one thread, there are some good links demonstrating and discussing the Harbor Freight and badger sprayers. There is also a you tube in the thread that shows spraying techniques. http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=29323&hl=airbrush&st=0

Edited by camano ridge

Like camano ridge said, harbor freight. I use their spray guns and the small compressor. The guns were 9 bucks a piece, hose 7-8 and the compressor was 60 plus 5 for fittings. It depends on the size of work you do, the airbrush is ok for small stuff, but the spray pattern is small. If you're trying to get even coverage on a larger piece the gun is the way to go. I use one for dyes and the other for acrylic (resolene).

post-38972-0-81205700-1377761719_thumb.j

I have no idea where this may lead. I have an upright, large compressor and a small one also. I really like a piece of veg tan leather dunked in Neatsfoot Oil, wiped off and buffed. When I burnish the leather, I really like the kinda faded reddish brown against the tan. I'm thinking I would like to carry the burnished edge look a little further onto the holster. Thats a start.

And the wife has an airbrush left over from glass working. Thanks. Harbor Freight tomorow.

Well, I bought this. Does yours say to be used with oil based paints? Mine does. Hope you folks don't hook up all the different devices as advertised. Sounds like cross-sell to me.

post-36503-0-76702000-1377982703_thumb.j

Mine can spray oil based, but I got one size down from yours because of the smaller compressor.

Chuck

Mine says use oil based paints.

Edited by Red Cent

I just read the manual for your gun

Note: This Spray Gun is meant for spraying oil-based paints. It is not recommended for regular wall paint or thin coatings of any type. While these products can be used with

this Spray Gun, coverage will not be even.

Don't know..... You can give it a try, if it won't spray what you need it to then maybe you can return it?

Chuck

Edited by RiverCity

You'd be a LOT better off with an airbrush instead of a paint gun!! That thing's going to put the dye on WAYYYYYY too heavy.

For an airbrush setup, the Harbor Freight 3 Gallon compressor is nice, but stay away from the kit that comes with a red airbrush and small AB compressor included. I haven't taken comparison pictures yet, but their red airbrush is CRAP. Get their blue deluxe airbrush for a few bucks more - or go with a Paasche VL.

Hey, if it doesn't work, I can always use it to paint the shop building :). I have an inexpensive single action airbrush. I would have to swear off the Dickel if I tried to use a double action airbrush at this stage. Gonna try to get in some practice time soon.

Hey, if it doesn't work, I can always use it to paint the shop building :). I have an inexpensive single action airbrush. I would have to swear off the Dickel if I tried to use a double action airbrush at this stage. Gonna try to get in some practice time soon.

Double action will serve you better for detail work, but for general color and fade stuff, a single action will be fine for now. It all requires practice though.

If I remember correctly the HF gun has a .8 or .1 spray nozzle (should say on the front of the nozzle). Springfield leather has a gun on sale now which has a .5 nozzle which is about as small as it gets with this type of gun. There is a balance of air pressure at the gun, nozzle size, viscosity of the material being sprayed, for the material to atomize correctly and not wind up as big drops on your leather. I suggest buying a mini regulator with a gauge and attach to your gun. Adjust the pressure at the gun to 15 or 18 PSI with the trigger pulled as a starting point. Adjust the material feed knob down to where it barely sprays, adjust your fan width down about 1/2 way. Spray some dye on a scrap of leather and adjust the air pressure until you get good atomization. This will be about as good as your gun will do.

The better known manufactures of air brushes mave models with larger tip sizes available which would close the gap between the airbrush and the gravity feed spray gun. The airbrush being small and the spray gun bigger, at best. Siphon feed will not cut it for our use, gravity feed will handle heavier material all things being equal. Top coats like Resolene, Bag Kote, etc. will require thinning about 50/50 and I suggest going down to yout local auto paint supply store and asking for some disposable paint strainers. Strain your top coats when filling your gun or airbrush as this stuff gels fairly quickly and will plug the nozzle.

I did a holster with the airbrush and an aerosol can. Looks real good. I believe it is a Badger model. I might spring for an inexpensive DA airbrush.

post-36503-0-54366700-1380065850_thumb.j

I have found that the airbrush does well if you are careful not to overlap too much. I am using Fiebings spirit dye and it applys well. I don't want (I think) to go to oil dye but I may. It seems that the spray gun will almost cover the holster with one motion and make it easire to cover evenly.

Would someone please post their success with the spray gun. Or tell us what is wrong with the spray gun?

Or tell us what is wrong with the spray gun?

Would you use a 4" paint brush to apply your dye? The problem with it is the AMOUNT of color/finish being sprayed (not to mention the waste as a result of overspray). Both color and finish should be built up to achieve the desired results using light coats. Using an automotive spray gun is applying a LOT of color/finish. For coloring, you'd be better off dip dying - which won't have the added cost or waste due to overspray. For finishing, again there's the waste, but more importantly, the spray gun will put so much on that you'll risk having a "plastic" finish that will be more likely to crack over time.

In regards to overlapping too much, just thin your dye so it's not applying so heavy in any one spot. The main problem with any sprayed application of dye is that it doesn't soak into the leather very far. The best way to remedy that is to cut your dye 50/50 and build up the color, BUT, also start with a further cut down mix for the first coat (25/75). This will allow the color to be pulled in to the leather more as you're building up your coat.

Would you use a 4" paint brush to apply your dye? The problem with it is the AMOUNT of color/finish being sprayed (not to mention the waste as a result of overspray). Both color and finish should be built up to achieve the desired results using light coats. Using an automotive spray gun is applying a LOT of color/finish. For coloring, you'd be better off dip dying - which won't have the added cost or waste due to overspray. For finishing, again there's the waste, but more importantly, the spray gun will put so much on that you'll risk having a "plastic" finish that will be more likely to crack over time.

In regards to overlapping too much, just thin your dye so it's not applying so heavy in any one spot. The main problem with any sprayed application of dye is that it doesn't soak into the leather very far. The best way to remedy that is to cut your dye 50/50 and build up the color, BUT, also start with a further cut down mix for the first coat (25/75). This will allow the color to be pulled in to the leather more as you're building up your coat.

I disagree. If you're just dying wallets and the like then yes, an airbrush would be sufficient. Covering large areas the gun is more than fine. The guns are adjustable, there isn't much overspray at all. I spray dye all of my cases (50-50 or less dye than that sometimes) when an even color is asked for. I hand dye only when I want a mottled color. And as for acrylics/resolene, again, 50-50 and there is no problems laying down light coats. I've used this system for months with zero problems.

The middle case is hand dyed, he wanted an antique look, the other cases were gun dyed. And all of them were gun finished.

Chuck

post-38972-0-11897300-1381992828_thumb.j

post-38972-0-53953500-1381992857_thumb.j

post-38972-0-01964900-1381992869_thumb.j

Thanks RiverCity. I am sure I have a lot to learn using either method. But I am also convinced the gun has its place. Maybe a better airbrush but I am going to try the gun.

I disagree. If you're just dying wallets and the like then yes, an airbrush would be sufficient. Covering large areas the gun is more than fine.

Ok, so point of clarification. What type of gun are you using/referring to here. Every automotive spray gun I've ever used would more than saturate those cases, or over spray ridiculously if you backed off enough to no saturate it. But, I do know there are different types/sizes out there. So, I'm willing to concede on that point.

Cyber, I cannot include the spray gun I bought in an auto spray gun class. It is an inexpensive gravity fed gun that I have not used. I keep putting it off because it uses "oil" paints only.

Recently I sprayed a holster with the "airbrush" but I had to continue to cover the holster completely time and time again to get a "continuing" color. Dark brown. Every pass produced a strip of different color until I had it so dark it didn't matter.

Eventually, I will try the gun and see what I can accomplish. In my brain, there is a scene where after a couple of passes with the "gun", I can stop and enjoy an even and "different" look but not a mottled mess. I am not concerned with a little waste.

Hey, I can see where you are coming from but the Type A personality has to go for it.

Ok, so point of clarification. What type of gun are you using/referring to here. Every automotive spray gun I've ever used would more than saturate those cases, or over spray ridiculously if you backed off enough to no saturate it. But, I do know there are different types/sizes out there. So, I'm willing to concede on that point.

The cheapo 9 buck harbor freight gun. I posted a pic earlier in the thread. It has no problem laying down light coats of dye or acrylic.

Chuck

The cheapo 9 buck harbor freight gun. I posted a pic earlier in the thread. It has no problem laying down light coats of dye or acrylic.

Chuck

Wow. I seriously didn't have any of those attachments show up on the first page when I looked through before. Yeah, I imagine a small one like that would be alright. I do think the compressor needs a better regulator though. That's the same one I have and the drop in operating pressure drives me nuts

There's always a thread about airbrushing somewehre around here. I personally use a siphon feed dual action airbrush. Can't rememebr exactly why at the moment :) Use what you are comfortable with.

Here's the thing... it does depend on what you want to do with it. I have several brushes, with different size tips. I 'paint' wallets with Fiebings with the wallet in one hand and the brush in the other, smallest tip and needle (see the bird in the avatar). When I go to do a portfolio or photo album, that little 1" (ish) spray will drive you NUTS, and you'll be there forever (ish). I set the small one aside and grab the next one, which is the same except for the tip size. Simple enough. I sometimes think about switching to a gravity fed brush, but likely will just end up usiing both.

If all you want to do is color a piece of leather and put that "halo" around the edges, an aerosol can from Walmart might be fine (plus, it gives the 7 year old something to do). But you'll find it's more about talent and tenacity than tooling. Don't think so? Check out this site full of art, all of it done with an inexpensive SINGLE action airbrush. Wow.

http://www.lizardco.com/murals62.1.html

Edited by JLSleather

Harold and all, I look around for a gun I liked for spraying finishes only, Resolene. I finially ended up with a gravity fed touch-up gun from lowes home ctr. It was the cheaper of the two but, it has a smaller one pint capacity cup that is plastic and can see the fluid level without removing the lid. This helps keep out dirt and dust while helping to avoid spills. One main feature that help me decide to purchase was that they stock and sell replacement fluid cups. While it is in the 30-35 dollar range the quality is high and it is also a high volume low pressure gun as well. This allows the use of a wide range of compressors too. I've been VERY happy with its performance thus far and the cleaning is easy. One cavot, I have only sprayed clear finshes with it.

Bro. Timothy

The application of any finish by hand is a problem for me. I am going to buy another gun to do the same.

The application of any finish by hand is a problem for me. I am going to buy another gun to do the same.

I use the cheap Harbor Freight "Blue" deluxe model for Resolene (STAY AWAY FROM THE RED ONE!!!)

Be extremely thorough on cleanup though since that stuff will ruin your day if there's any left in some weird spot.