Natalie O

Is The Leather I Am Using, Right?

Hello everyone,

I ve started leather crafting not long ago, watched a lot of videos and read a few books. However there is still something that is puzzling me. Since i live in Greece the things i can find about leather are a bit limited. I have explained to my leather supplier the kind of leather i need (veg tan tooling leather). He looked kind of confused so i just explained what i wanted it for (im guessing there aren't a lot of people here that tool their leather over here). Anyway, even though my leather looks like it is supposed to (compared to videos and pictures on the web) i have the impression that it is too hard. In all the videos i ve watched, the tooling looks like it doesnt take too much effort. The stamp just imprints perfectly on the leather without a lot of hammering and therefore, noise. In my case even though i make sure i crease my leather right, i really have to hammer my tools like 4-5 times to get a decent print. Not to mention the noise! My neighbors are starting to complain and now i need to find a place outside my house to do my leather work.Is that normal? Or do i just have the wrong leather?

(I also tried some neatsfoot oil to try to make the leather softer. Results still the same. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Also could it be the thickness of the leather? Is there like an average thickness that works best for tooling?

Can you post a picture of the leather in question? Include the edge in the pic. Are you "casing" the leather? It needs this moisture to soften it and allow for easier tooling. Hope this helps

Mike

Hey Natalie,

It shouldn't take that much effort so to clarify, are you wetting the leather prior to tooling? Wetting or casing the leather may be your issue. I also have an issue with noise while tooling and I found that a 3 inch thick piece of granite makes an incredible difference in tooling noise. I went from something about 2 1/4 inches to three and the three is much denser. You might try that to reduce the sound. Also, a rubber mat between your table and your tooling surface helps. Adding mass to your surface, table etc will all reduce perceived noise.

Good luck.

Hello, and thanks for your reply. I m going to upload some pictures of it right away. :)

Hey Natalie,

It shouldn't take that much effort so to clarify, are you wetting the leather prior to tooling? Wetting or casing the leather may be your issue. I also have an issue with noise while tooling and I found that a 3 inch thick piece of granite makes an incredible difference in tooling noise. I went from something about 2 1/4 inches to three and the three is much denser. You might try that to reduce the sound. Also, a rubber mat between your table and your tooling surface helps. Adding mass to your surface, table etc will all reduce perceived noise.

Good luck.

You see i did that. All of it. i have a rubber mat over my working surface. and on top of that a plastic cutting board. I wet my leather prior to tooling. Could it be the thickness?

The plastic on top will amplify the noise, pound directly on top of the granite. The thickness might have something to do with it but it could also be the type of leather. Might look up "casing leather" post to help understand the casing technique.

I use a folded towel under my granite to dampen noise.......between that and my guns, the neighbors don't complain much!

Can you post a picture of the leather in question? Include the edge in the pic. Are you "casing" the leather? It needs this moisture to soften it and allow for easier tooling. Hope this helps

Mike

<p>

How do i upload pictures here? i am a bit lost :)

The plastic on top will amplify the noise, pound directly on top of the granite. The thickness might have something to do with it but it could also be the type of leather. Might look up "casing leather" post to help understand the casing technique.

I use a folded towel under my granite to dampen noise.......between that and my guns, the neighbors don't complain much!

How do i upload a picture here? i cant seem to find a way....

Let me see if I can do a pic of a recent project and I will try to explain it

In the bottom right of the reply area, there is a tab with "more reply options" click on that and then click "add file" and it will allow you to post a picture

Did she say she has plastic and rubber on TOP of the rock?

Throw the plastic off to the side, put the rubber UNDER the rock, should be easier tooling AND quiet times.

Steppin' out the way now ...

Did she say she has plastic and rubber on TOP of the rock?

Throw the plastic off to the side, put the rubber UNDER the rock, should be easier tooling AND quiet times.

Steppin' out the way now ...

Well i realise it may be wrong but i read that in a leather crafting book so i thought i would give it a try.....

And i dont have a rock surface unfortunatelly. Just a wooden working table.

Great a piece of granite or marble. It will make a BIG difference!

ok that may solve the noise issue but i still don't get why my tools dont imprint on the leather, even though i ve tried getting my leather cased with a sponge, spray bottle, wet cloth....everything

The tools will not imprint as well on a soft backing. Also putting up a pic of the leather will help us see what kind of leather you are working with. Some leathers are not good for stamping on.

Are you letting the leather dry a bit before tooling? I've never had tooling imprint properly with freshly wet leather. I wet the tooling leather, let it soak in completely. Wet it again and give it 5 minutes or so before I start.

That looks like oil tan or upholstery leather

I DIDN'T SEE A MENTION OF WHAT TYPE OF MALLET YOU ARE USING. IF YOU ARE USING ONE OF THE LIGHTWEIGHT WOOD MALLETS THAT COME IN MOST BEGINNER KITS, IT WOULD TAKE A LOT OF HAMMERING. A HEAVIER MALLET MIGHT BE NEEDED IF THE LEATHER ISN'T THE PROBLEM.

I DIDN'T SEE A MENTION OF WHAT TYPE OF MALLET YOU ARE USING. IF YOU ARE USING ONE OF THE LIGHTWEIGHT WOOD MALLETS THAT COME IN MOST BEGINNER KITS, IT WOULD TAKE A LOT OF HAMMERING. A HEAVIER MALLET MIGHT BE NEEDED IF THE LEATHER ISN'T THE PROBLEM.

Now i use a heavy mallet. Its not wooden. However maybe i am not letting my leather dry as much as i should.

Mike, what does that mean? If it is what you say, is it still possible to use it for tooling?

YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO SEE WHAT SORT OF LEATHER IT IS BY WHAT THE LEATHER DOES WHEN YOU WET IT. WHEN YOU APPLY THE WATER, DOES IT SOAK RIGHT INTO THE LEATHER OR DOES THE WATER MORE OR LESS BEAD UP AND STAY ON THE LEATHER SURFACE?

It absorbs it and changes color right away unless it has a lot of water on top. In that case it takes a little while to spread. What concerns me and i havent had it with my previous leather is that when i look at the edge of the leather, it looks like the top 'coat' of the leather is from another material. Basically it looks like two different materials glued together.The top just looks lighter in color and glossy. I am not saying they are. It just looks like that. My previous leather looked even on the sides.

BY THE WAY YOU ARE DESCRIBING THE WATER ABSORBING, IT SOUNDS LIKE TOOLING LEATHER, BUT BY YOUR DESCRIPTION OF THE TOP COAT OF LAYERS, IT SOUNDS LIKE IT IS SOME SORT OF UPHOLSTERY LEATHER. YOU ARE RIGHT, IT SHOULDN'T LOOK LIKE IT IS MADE UP OF DIFFERENT LAYERS. THE ONLY THING THAT SHOULD BE DIFFERENT IS HAVING THE GRAIN SIDE AND FLESH SIDE TEXTURES ON THE TOP AND BOTTOM.

It's veg tan, and its got layers because that the way the tanning process is on some leather. The layers you see are the full grain top, the collagen layer in the middle and likely some level of rawhide still in the center of the leather. Leather comes in all grades and the poorer grades have lots of rawhide. This will affect tooling and cutting but not as much as you hitting on a wooden surface. You are probably getting "bounce" when tooling and I'm sure your poor impressions are caused by this. You should try tooling on your floor or a concrete sidewalk, basement floor or garage floor as a test. I will bet you that you will see a huge difference is a solid surface. Try it now and let us know.

Edited by immiketoo

ok that may solve the noise issue but i still don't get why my tools dont imprint on the leather, even though i ve tried getting my leather cased with a sponge, spray bottle, wet cloth....everything

Natalie: When you cut your leather does it have a uniform look on the cut edge or does it have a greyish line in the center. The greyish line is indicative of chrome tanned and though you can emboss it... you'll never get a good stamped impression. If your leather's cut edge is uniform in color... it is probably veg tanned.

As for casing... go to your bathroom sink... fill it about half way with warm to tepid water and a dash of baby shampoo or mild dish liquid. (just a couple drops) mix that up (I agitate with my hand like I would if I put bubble bath in the bath tub) allow the bubbles to settle until the bubbles are gone. Now the fun part. Grab your piece and give it a 4-6 second dunk. Pull it out of the water and listen do you hear the water soaking in and do you see little bubbles bursting on the surface? If so... you know this piece is taking in water. Wrap the piece in plastic bag and allow to sit FACE DOWN for at least 1 hour then flip it face up allow it to sit another half hour. Take it out and allow the piece to return to it's natural color. Now attempt your cutting and stamping.

I suspect your supplier went for color rather than tanning process and you have chrome tanned. But I hope that's not the case. As far as your work surface. You definitely want a hunk of stone of some kind. Marble, Granite... something sturdy at least 2 inches thick should do it. A lot of us in the states have visited stone counter top places or cemetery headstone places for their cast offs. (misspelled head stones) or sink cut outs. They are mostly free.... but it is nice to bring them a treat as a way of saying thanks!

Also make sure your tooling hammer is heavier. The more weight means a cleaner impression my two favorite mauls are 11oz and 16oz and I think I want a 20oz one too, eventually. I used to beat my leather until I was silly because I was using that crazy little wooden mallet that comes in some of Tandy's kits. Throw that away if that is what you have and get a real maul/mallet

Ok... so you can see... here' is the white-ish grey chrome tanned I have. Freshly cut the grey line is clear.

Sorry Fellas....her leather looks chrome tanned to me.

Natalie: your suppliers may not know it as Veg Tanned. Ask for Carving Leather or a brand name like Sherman Oak leather. See if your suppliers are better able to help you.

post-26936-0-78178200-1355594258_thumb.j

Edited by Sylvia