John22

Help To Identify Two Antique Saddles

I have two antique saddles that were my grandfathers, that I am trying to find out more about. They were stored in an old unused tack room for many decades now. I have not tried to clean them yet. If anyone can tell me what kind of saddles they are, etc. that would be very helpful. What might they be worth. I do not plan to sell them as they are special to me. They would have to be at least 75+ years old.

post-57453-0-87151100-1417714870_thumb.j

post-57453-0-04575600-1417714901_thumb.j

P.S. They are not very big. The measurements are about 18" x 12", and 15" x 11". Could they be pony saddles or not? They did own a Shetland pony that died of old age years ago.

Not an expert here, but they look like what is commonly called Hope saddles. If I recall correctly, they were used in and around Texas in the late 1800s, likely in the 1860-80 time frame. Don't quote me on that, but I think that is close. One is a "half-seat" that had Sam Stagg rigging and the other looks more like the traditional Hope saddle. If you'll google that info you might find out more. At least it's a place to start. As for value, I wouldn't presume to try to give you any accurate appraisal. To tell the truth, the leather doesn't look like it's in all that bad of condition for the age of the saddles. I would recommend that you clean them well with saddle soap and a brush, then give them a good coat of 100% pure neatsfoot oil, before you start talking to appraisers about them.

As for your last question, no way to tell from the pictures or the measurements you gave whether they are pony saddles. People back in those days were smaller anyway. You can give us a good idea of their size by measuring from the back of the base of the horn to the top of the cantle (seat). If it's 12" or less, I'd say they are pony saddles and may be a little later vintage than what I stated. 13" or larger, I'd say they were horse saddles.

Edit: After taking a second look, judging by the small stirrup leathers, I'm leaning more toward pony saddles now, and maybe a bit later vintage than I said. Still, googling Hope Saddles might produce some images that may help you.

Edited by thenrie

Hi! Guess I gotta ask somewhere. I have never been on a forum before, so I don't know how to start a thread, or how to post pictures. But I have an old saddle that my great-grandfather used to always use. It's been sitting in a run-down old shed (probably exposed to elements and definitely exposed to critters) in Mississippi, and I would also like to fix it up, if I can, and I'm very curious what type of saddle it is, as I have never seen one of this design. It's kind of like an English saddle, but with Western stirrups (that are plain old wood). The seat is beautifully embroidered, with a fairly broad/high pommel and what looks to be a separated roll of leather/stuffing to make up the cantle.

If I could figure out how to post pictures, I'd do so, and I'm sorry to steal your thread, but I also don't know how to start my own.

Marek, sent you a PM. At the top of the window right hand side next to your screen name you will see a red envolope click on it and it will open my message to you.

I'm going to say the first saddle for sure is a kid's saddle. The second I'm inclined to go with a kids as well because of the size of the stirrup leather.

Not Hope saddles. They are considerably later. I think they will will be hard to date because saddles of these patterns continued to be available in catalogs for decades into the 1900's. The best resource I have found for this sort of thing is the article by Ken Knopp, He is quite the historian on saddles of the 19th century, particularly military, Texas, and eastern saddles.

His website is here:

http://confederatesaddles.com/cswp/

He has an article, entited "Commercial and Catalog Saddles of the 19th and Early 20th Centuries," which you find here:

http://confederatesaddles.com/cswp/?p=242

He is also an contributor to sites that deal with CW reenactments, etc. He has a good post on Hope saddles here:

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/showthread.php?39368-Early-Hope-amp-Texas-saddles

although it is now somewhat dated. He also has a very interesting post on Attakapas saddles here:

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/showthread.php?39569-The-Attakapas-Saddle

I think you find the article on commercial and catalog saddles to be a particularly good source.

Hope this helps.

Hi there, I just came into possession of a Marks Brothers western saddle. It seems to be all original and I have a letter from my friends family as to it's lifelong owner. It is such a beautiful piece of history as well as art work. I'd love to know if I could find out more about the saddle. The only marks on it are the makers mark and the numbers 555 on a tag located on the left side. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks for any advice.