Beaverslayer

IFoLG Columbus Show Entry

Well, chatting with Johanna last week, she told me that I should enter one of my vests in the IFoLG show this fall. She has said that from what she has seen at previous shows, I should do quite well. Seeing as I cannot attend myself, Johanna has graciously offered to "Hand Deliver" my entry. Many thanks to her for all the things she does for us leather people.

So, after about a week of running ideas through my old head, I've come up with something that I hope will do well. After re-reading how Tina said she does her wonderful works, and Tom saying "Boarders" add so much, I've incorporated a bit of their ideas into this. The only thing though Tina, my 30 pound block of granite is a bit to heavy to keep in my lap, so I'm doing it on my small work bench.

But taking her advice, and going really slowly, and using just baby taps on the tool, this is what I've come up with so far. Hope you all like it so far.

Ken

Picture_003.jpg

post-1605-1207975187_thumb.jpg

Ken,

You kill me with how good you are.

This looks to be awsome, I'll bet you finish it off before I'm done with that tube, lol.

I like the touch with the tree on the right hanging in and the way that you got those typical clouds down to the leather.

I also like the way you let the border break up in the middle, playing with shapes and just adding more eyecandy.

I'm excited to see this one done and I love Japanese designs. I have only vikingstuff on my arms and on my left arm that is close to 100% percent done I just couldn't resist throwing some Japanese cloud/filler stuff to my elbow to get a fluid dynamic pattern that will nicely follow my underarms movement.

Tom

very cool ken!

i can't wait to see this one progress!

Well, chatting with Johanna last week, she told me that I should enter one of my vests in the IFoLG show this fall. She has said that from what she has seen at previous shows, I should do quite well. Seeing as I cannot attend myself, Johanna has graciously offered to "Hand Deliver" my entry. Many thanks to her for all the things she does for us leather people.

So, after about a week of running ideas through my old head, I've come up with something that I hope will do well. After re-reading how Tina said she does her wonderful works, and Tom saying "Boarders" add so much, I've incorporated a bit of their ideas into this. The only thing though Tina, my 30 pound block of granite is a bit to heavy to keep in my lap, so I'm doing it on my small work bench.

But taking her advice, and going really slowly, and using just baby taps on the tool, this is what I've come up with so far. Hope you all like it so far.

Ken

Picture_003.jpg

Now we're talking:-)

The start is great Ken and it looks really clean in all the small details and such...Keep it up and keep posting:-)

ps.

Love the way you made the design on the tree, coming from the outside area into the main design part

Edited by Tina

Spider, thanks bro, I had to step away from the skulls on this one. Don't want to scare the judges away...LOL

Tom, now why did you have to go and mention those Vikings? I'm a real big fan of them as well, and when thinking of what to do on this one, all that came to my old mind was Japanese. Now I have to take a look at doing something Viking also....

Roger, thanks for the compliment, I'm actually thinking of lacing the edges using the "Shirleyz Round Weave", I think it will actually look pretty good that way.

Tina, it's mostly the work you have been posting of late that has got meinspired to do this fine of detail. I have to take my glasses off and keep my face about 3" from the leather to see what's happening. So that's another reason I'm not doing it in my lap like you, can't bend that much...LOL

The tree wandering over the border is an idea I got from, I believe it was "Storm" on another post where the leaves of the flower went beyond the edge of the leather. It had a hummingbird on it as well.

Ken

Looks unreal, it looks like you've really taken your time giving it a peaceful vibe.

If that don't win, the judges are blind.

smoooooooooooooooooth B)

darryl

Wow, those clouds rock, and the way the tree is set off the main tooled area is terrific. You're inspiring me to do a tooled vest yoke.

Beautiful Beaver! It kinda makes me wonder what the hell I can possibly make for you! A bookmark is way out of the running now!

Shirley

outstanding start Ken. I sense another masterwork in the making, I love the way it flows with all the diferent elements blending so nicely with one another.

This is off to a great start, Ken. Love the branch coming from out of the frame too. I will be sure to keep an eye on your progress. Keep 'em pictures coming! :)

Well thanks all for the compliments and encouragement, it always makes a guy try harder. Just got back from Canada's version of the Grande Canyon, so no tooling tonight.

Shirley, no matter what you decide to make me for the PIF, I know I'm going to like it, you do great work yourself and O always enjoy seeing the seats you make.

Ken

Wow ! NO i mean it , WOW !! Love the design, i'm a big fan of Japanese art. Super clean carving and tooling. I look forward to seeing more pics.

Zen leatherworking

Ken, it's beautiful, serene...

inspirational.

Bever, This is a real eye-catcher! Outstanding! The color possibilities are endless! SWEET!

Thanks a lot everyone. I'm almost done the tooling on the other side, so as soon as that's done I'll upload an update pic. There is most likely going to be a bit of a change on the lady in the middle, I don't really like the way she turned out, so I think I've come up with an idea. If that doesn't work......well it'll be the scrap bin and I'll have to start over.

Scouter, when it's ready for color, I'll be using a fair amount of latex resist, and then airbrush the background, then I'll color the trees and dragons and such seperately, should look good as long as my new idea works out.

Thanks again for the compliments.

Ken

Sweeeeet piece of work....beautiful tooling... cant wait for the next post

Well I went ahead and said to myself, better try and see if your idea is going to work and look good before you go and finish tooling.

So here's what I did to the shoulder piece, makes ya kinda cringe don't it?

Shoulder_Hole.jpg

Yikes, now what are we going to do with this hole?

Ken

post-1605-1208303018_thumb.jpg

As I said, I was not very pleased with the way the one ladies head looked, and it was really bothering me, so out came the knufe, and I simply cut her out....simple as that.

I then drew up what I was looking for, and figured I just lace it in, it seems to have worked out okay. I like the look a whole bunch more now, and it's given me another idea for the front yolks.

So let me know what you all think of the piece that almost made it to the scrap bin, I've finished tooling both sides, and laced the new lady in, now I've got to draw up something for the front, then back to tooling.

Shoulder_Fixed.jpg

Ken

post-1605-1208303337_thumb.jpg

Started writing a reply as to what you could do and just as I was going to post it, I saw your next message. Had the same idea you did! :lol:

Works very well, Beaver. Great idea! :)

That's an amazing and beautiful fix/coverup. That was a great idea, to be honest if you would of told me what you were about to do....I would of thought it would look like hammered carp. It turned out amazing and looks planed.

WELL DONE !!!!

hammered carp?

looks good ken

Hi Ken,

I like the way that turned out. I wasn't really that fond of the way the first lady turned out, but really didn't want to say anything. This one looks good and I think the way you lace your vests, this will look like it was all planned from the beginning. Nice save!