swivelsphinx

Those pesky "R" Rope Stamps

Hey:

i used to own a "how to" book which included the instructions for the "R" series Leather Factory rope stamps. I lost all of my leather working books in a fire almost two years ago. I can't remember which one had the article(s) in it!

I looked at some posts on lining up basket weave stamps- they were pretty good, but if any of you have any suggestions or detail photos (close-ups of pre-dyed work) I'd find that very helpful!

swivelsphinx

SS,

I use those stamps a bunch. I have broken and bent more than my fair share, and finally caved and orderd a custom one. The issue is that the tips tend to bend up doing partially or tipped impressions, and you end up with a canoe shape after a while. I bend 'em back down until they break. That said, always have a backup. I am attaching little deal I stamped off a few years ago, and still chase it around my desk. I used the #957 for this one, and I made a special beveler for it. The beveler is a #803 that I took a cylindrical grinding wheel on the Dremel and ground away. The curved face matches the outer curve of the rope, overlaps just right, and bevels it with one hit. I think beveling really makes this stamp pop, and the curved beveler with one one hit beats walking one around every curve.

I only use one scribe line to line up the stamp, and eyeball the angle. I started off with two lines, and eventually just dropped using the second line. I run right on around, and use tipped impressions for the square corners. I am also attaching another little deal I did with it a couple weeks ago for the Celtic challenge. It was kind of fun to do that with the rope. I also have used the rope to do initials on photoalbums and planners. It really lends itself to circles and ovals too, once a guy gets handy running it in a straight line.

Rope_stamp.jpg

Cowboy_Celtic__Medium_.jpg

post-29-1215816466_thumb.jpg

post-29-1215816486_thumb.jpg

Hey Bruce:

I really appreciate you posting a reply so soon! The photographs are really helpful, as is the explanation.

The "Celtic knotwork rope trick" must have wowed them- it impressed the hell out of me!

I've played around with these periodically, and its hard to figure out how to line them up. Now I have a project that could really use these!

Thanks,

Tannin S.

swivelsphinx

I just got some rope stamps and was wondering how to use them, this helps a lot, thanks

After reading about your custom tool, I was in TLF today reviewing the various tools. The Z781 seemed to almost match up to the curve of the rope tool. I could see where a little grinding would make it work well. I banged a few samples in the store but did not have my glasses so could not really see the result.

I am not trying to do anything here but compare some stamps. I mentioned back in July I had ordered a custom rope stamp (actually two in different sizes). I have used Tandy and Hidecrafter ones for several years and wore out more than a couple. I was happy enough with them then. I got the customs a few months ago. I stamped this comparison out with the one I used to use and the new one when I got them. Obvious difference where I went from one to the other. The other stamp on the scan illustrates the comparison of an off the rack TLF waffle stamp vs. a stock one from a pretty good maker. Barry King made both of them by the way.

My advice is to buy the low end first and play with it. If you can't run it or don't like it, you aren't out much. Personally I don't like a triweave much in my hands for example. I am ambivalent about meander borders and can run one alright. My wife doesn't like them at all, and so we don't do many. We do have some good meanders though. She can take a meander stamp and make some pretty cool geometric patterns. Once you get comfortable with a stamp then trade up to a better impression. On these set stamps, a mediocre stamp will always leave a mediocre impression no matter who hits it and what their name is.

scan0001___Copy___Copy.jpg

post-29-1233373772_thumb.jpg

Thanks Bruce for showing the comparison...real eye opener. Seemingly simple looking tools can have quite a bit of variance.

As you stated, I'm still in the "playing" stages so the Tandy's fill the need for now. But i can definitely see where good hands deserve good tools.

BTW I'm still waiting for you to write a book on this stuff.

I only use one scribe line to line up the stamp, and eyeball the angle. I started off with two lines, and eventually just dropped using the second line. I run right on around, and use tipped impressions for the square corners. I am also attaching another little deal I did with it a couple weeks ago for the Celtic challenge. It was kind of fun to do that with the rope. I also have used the rope to do initials on photoalbums and planners. It really lends itself to circles and ovals too, once a guy gets handy running it in a straight line.

Seems I digged out the ancient post there, but anyway....

Thanks, Bruce for pointing this out.

Can you please also share your experience with making a corners using these stamps? So far I tried to lean rope stamp at point of corner, but it doesn't help much and I always have a little toolmark off the connected rope line.

On your pictures I see you handled 90 degrees as well as less pretty good (at least for me :) )

What the sequence of actions should be used for such corners?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Suicide

I hate to say this, but it was just practice and doing a ton of them. You really have to tip the stamps for the partial impressions and that is hard on cheap stamps. I bought 6 Hidecrafters one time at a show and George Hurst thought I was nuts. I had gone through that many at least before, and I derstroyed all of those eventually too. I use the rope border a lot. This Barry King I had made is looking the same as when I got it. He has it a stock stamp now I think.

I hate to say this, but it was just practice and doing a ton of them. You really have to tip the stamps for the partial impressions and that is hard on cheap stamps. I bought 6 Hidecrafters one time at a show and George Hurst thought I was nuts. I had gone through that many at least before, and I derstroyed all of those eventually too. I use the rope border a lot. This Barry King I had made is looking the same as when I got it. He has it a stock stamp now I think.

Thanks for reply, Bruce!

I hate to say it but "wrong". Your stamp has GROOVES of rope and the "standard" stamps do not have them. I just called and ordered five stamps and am still waiting for an answer on the rope stamp with "rope" grooves.

Kevin

I just now talked to the Barry King folks and they added the ROPE cuts to the rope stamp for me...no charge.

I wanted to post to let you all know the standard stamp is smooth, but they add the grooves when asked.

Kevin

I wanted to post to let you all know the standard stamp is smooth, but they add the grooves when asked.

Hi Kevin.

Thanks for letting know.

Can you please post pictures of both (if possible) - standard and grooved ones?

Hi Kevin.

Thanks for letting know.

Can you please post pictures of both (if possible) - standard and grooved ones?

I would but:

A. I'm old and don't have a camera.

B. I'm old and don't know how to post a picture.

C. I don't have either stamp yet and am not getting smooth stamp.

D. See post of Bruce' above (#6) and notice GROOVES at the tips. Now think of the same stamp smooth, no grooves.

whatdoyouthink.gif

Kevin

D. See post of Bruce' above (#6) and notice GROOVES at the tips. Now think of the same stamp smooth, no grooves.

Ah, I see now :) Anyway thanks for that info about 2 sorts of the same stamps available.

My new stamps arrived today, and they are GREAT. Those rope images are now very clear and I can't wait to start a project. I also got four other stamps and..WOW. Quality stamps might (maybe?) even make my work acceptable. I now have the Hackbarth set, Over 30 Kings and half dozen or so Watts.

Well I can dream, right?

Kevin

A. I'm old and don't have a camera.

B. I'm old and don't know how to post a picture.

My new stamps arrived today, and they are GREAT. Those rope images are now very clear and I can't wait to start a project. I also got four other stamps and..WOW. Quality stamps might (maybe?) even make my work acceptable. I now have the Hackbarth set, Over 30 Kings and half dozen or so Watts.

Well I can dream, right?

Congratulations, Kevin, you got them!

And yes, you CAN dream... first :) and then make you dream true :) And moreover now you MUST get over points A and B mentioned by you and send us a pictures the work you'll get done with these new stamps. Cheers! :cheers:

Thanks for the advice, I've been having problems with this tool too!