Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Chee

Premium 6Mm Round Leather Cord?

Hello all. I am looking for some really good quality 6mm round leather cord (not braided but whole leather). I bought some from leathecordusa.com but the quality of the stuff is not that great. It's not very smooth, the dye is not even, and it has a lot of fuzz on it. I have a wallet leash that I purchased from Japan that is of this cord type and the quality is much much better.

I tried eBay looking for leather sewing machine leather treadle and that was ok in quality but most places only have smaller sizes.

Anyone with a lead on where I can find good cord? Thanks.

Andrew

Hi - long time lurker, firs time poster. I really love this site and the leather knowledge is really great.

I have the same question - I have a few projects where I need some nice thick "natural" color leather cord and can't seem to find it anywhere. Any ideas?

Use a treadle sewing maching belt. It should be about the size you are looking for and comes off a roll, so you can get it in about any length.

Aaron

Hi - long time lurker, firs time poster. I really love this site and the leather knowledge is really great.

I have the same question - I have a few projects where I need some nice thick "natural" color leather cord and can't seem to find it anywhere. Any ideas?

I found a place called Page Belting. They do different size leather round belting. The belting is made in the US. I got a sample of their 1/4" and 3/8" belting. The quality very good based on the samples I got. I will be ordering some 1/4" cord from them. They do have a minimum order of $50 though so that's gonns be quite a lot of cord. We can split an order if. You want. the 1/4" cord is round but the 3/8" is not. It's kinda oval which is understandable since 3/8" is like 24oz or something rediculous like that. Anyways, just FYI.

Andrew

I could be into splitting an order, how much 1/4 inch cord do you get for $50?

I just placed an order with them. They originally told me that they have a $50 minimum order but as it turned out they let me order whatever quantity I wanted. I suggest you call them (Tel: (603) 796-2463)) so we don't need to split any orders or anything. Stuff isn't terribly cheap but the quality of what I've seen so far has been very good.

I spoke to one of their guys there (Mark I think his name was) about their process and they seem pretty old school. They get their leather veg tanned and then they curry and process the leather themselves in the US. They suggest a light coat of Neatsfoot oil for protecting the leather and that's about it.

Anyways, good luck with what you're looking for.

Andrew