Sign in to follow this  
flyingcuda

how would you do this

howling_wolf.jpg start to finish..how would you proceed, i can't do the swivel knife yet...too scarry :( i will be doing it on a round piece of leather. i don't have antique..thought i did..but i do have hi liter. thought about trying the white in the cloudy parts..but have not had any luck with white. i also have leather glow. this is going to be an important and sentimental piece for me. i thought if i could get some expert's thoughts..it may save me some heart break. thanks!

post-7661-1238598947_thumb.jpg

Hi,

First if you haven't done it already, the picture needs to be converted to a sketch. After that, layout the pattern on the leather, & if you're not comfortable with the swivel knife, just do it with the modeling tools. Alot of Peter Mains Fantastic work is done that way. Give it a try,,, it just takes practice! ED the"BearMan"

Howling_Wolf_scetch.jpg

post-7175-1238599868_thumb.jpg

unfortunatly...i did already get it transfered into the leather....good to know about transfering it into sketch..would have been easier to do. :head_hurts_kr: now i am trying figure out what i want to do next...should i dye..if so what coulours...or just rub the hi lite into it...and how to deal with the moon. thank you for the sketch idea, much appreciated!

pic of what i have done so far..any suggestions on what would look good to finish this off with will be greatly appreciated..thank you.

leather_pictures_769small.jpg

post-7661-1238616730_thumb.jpg

I did a very similar pattern to this one for one of our carving challenges here on LW back in September. There are a lot of ways to add hair to a project like this. I took a couple pictures as I was working on this project, maybe they can give you some ideas. There were very few tools used, but I did cut the outline with a swivel knife. It looks like you did fine without it. I did some beveling on the face to put in some of the features, and then cleaned them up with a modeling tool. Then I used a pear shader to put some muscliing on the body. All the hair texture was done with a narrow pointed figure beveler. I just tapped the impressions very close together, and made sure to try and follow the natural flow of the hair, making layer after layer of hair.

sept_challenge_007__Large_.jpgsept_challenge_008__Large_.jpg

I haven't finished mine up yet. I'd like to put some texture in the moon, and then color it someday.

sept_challenge__cropped___Large_.jpg

post-12-1238617736_thumb.jpg

post-12-1238617808_thumb.jpg

post-12-1238617897_thumb.jpg

that looks incredible! thank you for the tips, unfortunatly... i am very ummmm...uneducated..when it comes to the tools...i have no idea what i have...just that they looked "pretty" when i bought them. :P i have tear shaped ones...some with bumps some smooth, square ones, triangles...i guess i should try and find a thread somewhere to find out what i have! thanks again for the input.

I been in same boat as you last 3 months cuda.....I just keep reading forums daily and get more and more pieces of info that make sense.....

that looks incredible! thank you for the tips, unfortunatly... i am very ummmm...uneducated..when it comes to the tools...i have no idea what i have...just that they looked "pretty" when i bought them. :P i have tear shaped ones...some with bumps some smooth, square ones, triangles...i guess i should try and find a thread somewhere to find out what i have! thanks again for the input.

Tools

Go to the above site an you should be able to match most of your tools, that should give you a bitter idea what you have an what they are for.

Under departments click tools.

Edited by Kowboyboots

thank you! that was much easier than trying to read through all the threads....but..now i realise just how many tools i don't have :( .....hmmmm...need to generate some cash....hubby doesn't need that snowmobile now :whistle:

white has a pourpose!! i tried to lighten a navy blue for the moon in this project....so i added white to the blue...WOW!!!!! what a reaction, if you need to stare at something for more than 5 mins...check it out...really neat. did not help me with my task though. i tried using solvent to lighten the blue but that didnt work either. i think i may just go over all of it with a light brown...then hi lite? again, suggestions most appreciated. thanks again...and really...check out the blue and white ( fiebing's) i haven't tried with the eco flow

do i have to have a dye on first before hi lite? or can i just get the hi lite into the impressions then a finish? to dye or not to dye...that is the question. thanks

Adding a solvent will not lighten a dye; all it does is make it thinner. It's like adding water to paint. The consistency changes, but the hue stays the same. You need to add something to reflect more light, like white dye/paint (just don't mix dye with paint, that'd just be a mess!). By the same token, to make a color darker, you add something to absorb light, like black.

when you say paint...what kind of paint can be used on leather? i didn't think paint would soak into the leather. i've seen mention of acrylic paint, is it just regular acrylic or is there a special one used for leather...if not does it need to be mixed with anything? i thought it would dry and crack. i've been self taught up till i found this haven on earth :thumbsup: