Gregspitz

Contact Cement And Sewing With Machine Question?........

I am making watch straps and when I glue a liner on with contact cement either barge or water soluble tandy leather cement how long should I wait before I sew the glued strap? I want to avoid tension issues or anything else that would be caused by the glue.

If this is a dumb question I apologize in advance!

Thanks

Not a dumb question at all...after putting the pieces together I wait at least 8 to 10 hours, if I don't the needle will lift the leather and cause skipped stitches.

I make holsters and rifle slings from 9/10 oz leather...the thinner leather might dry and cure faster...I'm not sure...on the safe side 8 to 10 hours should be good.

Troy

Edited by Troy I

Don't use the thin stuff. I use/sew anything from 2 layers of 8-9 to 2 layers of 8-9 plus 2 layers of 6-7. I glue the outer and liner, use a heat gun to "glaze" the glue, put it together (you had better get 'er right the first time), roll with rolling pin, square edges with a belt sander, hand sand, crease and sew. I won't fold the holster until the next day.

Nice looking straps.

I put a light coat on both pieces, . . . dry them with a heat gun, . . . stick em together, . . . sand the edges, . . . bevel the edges, . . . then I sew the rascal.

I have never had a problem sewing anything, . . . from a couple of pieces of really thin leather, . . . to a 3/4 inch piece, . . .

Actual time from sticking to stitching, . . . probably 20 minutes at the most.

Works for me.

May God bless,

Dwight

My process is close to Dwights --- light coat on both pieces --- air dry for about 5-10 minutes --- stick them together --- set up the machine and sew...

Masters Contact cement (for shoe soles) dries really quickly. Apply one or two light coats, 10 minutes apart, wait 10 minutes, smack em together and sew.

If tape or glue is a problem, run your thread through a lube pot filled with liquid silicon.