Tallbald

Been Gone A Long Time, But Would Like To Share A Photo. Holster

Want to apologize to all here for having been off the forum a long time. Family illnesses, family heart attacks and surgeries, my own surgery and many other things have conspired to keep me from working to learn more about the craft and practicing some new skills.

I did get to design and craft a holster I am happy with though. My brother-in-law was given a beautiful high polish Ruger Bisley Vaquero .45 Colt by his son. He asked me to make him a holster for it, which I did.

I made my own tracing and pattern, tweeking it to just what I thought it should be. Not particularly traditional, it is equipped with a cross draw belt loop and thong hammer loop. Died black as a starless and moonless night with vinegaroon that I started a year and a half ago, it's finished with super shene and my own mixture of beeswax/parrafin/olive oil buffed to a satin luster. I felt good enough about the result to stamp it with my mark, his initials and date. Next on the list is a shoulder holster for a CZ75B stainless for myself, with cold weather coming on. Thanks for loking, and input and constructive criticisms appreciated. Don

post-20798-0-03910800-1349479166_thumb.j

post-20798-0-77316000-1349479181_thumb.j

Your skills don't seem to have waned during your layoff. a beautiful job.

This topic has been discussed several times here....Should a product like olive oil or motor oil be used as a leather treatment. My own personal opinion is, no. Olive oil can go rancid rather quickly once opened and being familiar with that smell I would not put it on something I was intended to wear. You can prolong the life of olive oil by keeping it in the fridge..... but that isn't too practical for a gunbelt and holster. My response would be the same on motor oil. The petroleum will quickly degrade leather, causing it to debond and just fall apart.

All that being said, that's a nice job on the holster.

JMHO any other input?

Dave

Edited by David