Raven

Automatic sewing awls?

I saw these the first time I went into the local leather store but decided to go with saddle stitch instead as it seemed so much more secure. I was thinking of getting one to do the light work like fixing linins in place but have no idea what they are like or how to use them. These are the sort I mean:

1216-00-L.jpg

So, anyone able to fill me in on what they are like and their ease of use?Many thanks :)

Raven,

I've experimented with a couple tools like those and was never happy with the results. Maybe I'm just "awl-challenged", but I could never get a decent looking line of stitches with them.

I went back to saddle stitching with a sharp awl and two needles.

They are quite excellent tools when the bobbin is loaded with 50lb braided nylon fishing line and used to make strap repairs when backpacking.

For leather, yeah, I guess you could find a use for it, but I've gone back to saddle stitching too.

Hi Raven... I happen to have an opinion on these as I have used them quite a lot.

I have to say... I DO NOT like the type you show. I far prefer the speedy stitcher If you go to that site there is even a video, plus instructions.

Now of course a sewing machine is way better. But I have stitched many a saddle or pair of reins back together with that tool, and it doesn't cost near what a leather sewing machine costs. If you live in the boonies like me, there just isn't anyone around with a good repair shop, so it can really help you put stuff back together again when you haven't got the time to drive all the way in to town.

Once I learned how to use it I found it easy to use. By coincidence, my neighbor stopped by not two hours ago wanting me to stitch her reins. The guy in town can't do it as his machine is on the blink right now (town is 30 miles away) so she wanted to know if I could. Well, I don't have time... but in ten minutes I showed her how to do it. She stitched away while I watched, and within 15 minutes felt confident enough to go home and finish stitching her driving reins back together.

I have a stitching awl from Tandy and I like it well enough to keep using it. I does take a few minutes of practice to get the tension down but after stitching a few projects the tension becomes second nature, I don't even worry about it any more. I've stitched up a couple of wallets with it and they look good despite the amount of abuse they take at work, the stitching is still good and tight. But I'm starting to get to the point where I don't want to do chain stitches and want to expand my skills.

Try it, you might like it.

It combines the speed of hand stitching and the weakness of lockstitch, then clutters up your toolbox. Overall a waste of time and money.

I've found I can do a far stronger seam by hand with my needle and wax thread......

OK, call ignorant, but how do you use them? I saddle stitch with 2 needles and waxed thread. How does this tool lock the thread down on the backside?

I can only repeat what our ever succinct Ferret said - IMHO it is a complete waste of money that takes up valuable space in your toolbox. There must be thousands of these things out there as plenty of folk buy them when they start out and then chuck them aside in disgust when they realise how useless they are. If you insist on owning one then don't buy it new - most second hand ones are just like new as they have never been used! LOL

I have not used a speedy stitcher - I haven't even seen them for sale in the UK but my advice is to invest in a decent awl and a couple of needles.

GUESS WHAT........THERE IS NOTHING AUTOMATIC ABOUT THEM.

THEY ARE MANUAL.

tbe best investment for you would be to buy the Al Stolhman Book

"THE ART OF HAND SEWING"....

They work kinda like a sewing machine does, but not automatic.

Basically you pull out a long section of your thread and it gets fed thru a hole and then you start going into the holes one by one and loop the thread on the needle around the long section you already pulled thru. Then pull the needle back thru and pull tight to snug the stitch up. Then go onto the next hole and repeat.

I know a FEW people that like them, but like I said before, I dont use the one I bought when I first started out...LOL. For what I sew, I can do better and faster by hand.

The one instance I can see where the handle would come in handy is if you have a very stiff, thick leather you are sewing thru and you need the handle to help push the needle thru. Usually you just make the hole bigger, but you never know...there may be some case where you cant make it bigger and the handle is needed.

If u really want to learn to sew by hand this thing is a waist. I have a tool fetish and have to by tools all the time and got one of thies to se how it works… in my opinion its crap for real leather work….

The stitching awl has been in my rope kit for about 40+ years. Invaluable when working with canvas. Almost useless with leather. Only because if a stitch is worn through or broken, the whole thing is gonna come undone.

A saddle stitch, with 2 needles and a sewing awl is the best way to work with leather. There are other stitches to use, but this is the easiest and fastest - IMHO.

The stitching awl has been in my rope kit for about 40+ years. Invaluable when working with canvas. Almost useless with leather. Only because if a stitch is worn through or broken, the whole thing is gonna come undone.

A saddle stitch, with 2 needles and a sewing awl is the best way to work with leather. There are other stitches to use, but this is the easiest and fastest - IMHO.

These things don't even make good Darts, I've tried them! One thing in their favour is someone makes money selling them to suckers who try to learn to use them and end up throwing them in some dark corner where they will be discovered in a future century for Spacemen to marvel at how gullible the ancients were.!

All jokes aside I've seen Indians use them in making Shoes and Saddlery. Thats why their so called Hand Stitching Falls apart so easily.

You can't beat the Awl and 2 Needles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kind Regards.

Jim.

I bought "The Leathercrafters Bible " from Weaver and these "automatic awls" are mentioned in the hand sewing chapter: quote " Take the needle out of that awl, put it on a shelf in case you ever find use for it, pull the thread off the spool, then step out the back door there and throw that awl as far as you can" :specool:

/ Knut

I bought "The Leathercrafters Bible " from Weaver and these "automatic awls" are mentioned in the hand sewing chapter: quote " Take the needle out of that awl, put it on a shelf in case you ever find use for it, pull the thread off the spool, then step out the back door there and throw that awl as far as you can" :specool:

/ Knut

Many thanks for the laugh Knut!

Another Wise Man is Weaver, as they tend to stuff up the Toilet if you Flush them. Also they may choke the Geese if left arround the House.

Kindest Regards. Jim.

Many thanks for the laugh Knut!

Another Wise Man is Weaver, as they tend to stuff up the Toilet if you Flush them. Also they may choke the Geese if left arround the House.

Kindest Regards. Jim.

maybe it is best to recycle : wood and metal. LOL

i was wondering if you could use the speedy sticher without the thread jsut to make our holes for hand stitching?

sometimes i don't want to have an angle to the thread would the hole be big enough smaller threads?

cory