Sign in to follow this  
Deno

Coaster Tutorial

Hello all. I talked to The Major about tweaking his coaster design more like my father would have done it, and he said go for it. So what I am going to show is what changes I made and why. Also, I think over time I will build this into a tutorial showing step by step each process in making. That way anyone can follow and give it a try.

Here is Major's layout. The Blue lines represent the outside of the coaster and a diameter offset inside. The first thing I did was pull the form out to reach the inside line giving it more symmetry, see red lines. The stem at the bottom and the outside flower pedals. Next I tweaked the stem lines to give it better flow and adjusted the shapes a bit. At the bottom of the flower I pulled up the lines under the seeds to allow more room for pear shading. Those lines represent the flower pedals as they are facing you exposing the seeds. Let me know what you think of the adjustments.

Coaster_1.JPG

post-10736-1245720215_thumb.jpg

I'm laying this out in CAD software and will be showing each step of the process. Here I am laying out the Beveling steps and I will show which ones to do first, second, etc. I will be adding pictures of the actual tooling piece as I go. It may be a few day's before I get to that point yet. Does anyone think this will be helpful?

Coaster_2.JPG

post-10736-1245721053_thumb.jpg

I always like thinking up new ways of doing things, so here is a new tip. Instead of using velum or tracing paper, I just printed out the layout on plane paper. Next I sprayed both sides with 2 coats of Krylon triple-thick clear glaze, clear coat. As you can see the paper becomes semi-transparent, you can see the leather coaster underneath. As I have not tried this yet, but I think it should keep from getting soaked with water when I transfer it to the leather. You may be able to use it a few times, or make more very easily.

Coaster_3.JPG

post-10736-1245721755_thumb.jpg

I'll be back at this soon. Sorry for the delay. When this is all done, I will put it together into a PDF file so everyone can download it. My best to all.

Thanks for posting, I shall give it a try as soon as I get the rest of the tools I need to get started.

Sorry everyone for the long delay on this. Haven't had much time lately and I'm been working on some other stuff. I will be back at this sometime and will complete it. My best to everyone.