whithead

Contact Cement - What to use and where to get it

I tried to get some Barge Cement for my first saddle at Tandy the the other day and was told I have to be a pro to buy it...

What else do you folks use, why do you like it and where do you get it?

Thanks in advance!

I use and like this stuff, and you can get it at any home depot or lowes or menards type store....prod_0092650_prod.jpg

post-5889-1205167909_thumb.jpg

I tried to get some Barge Cement for my first saddle at Tandy the the other day and was told I have to be a pro to buy it...

Thanks in advance!

I use barge & I use Masters. I order online.

justwakinup. can you get the" TannersBond Contact "at your Tandys

if you can you will be very pleased with the product, I am.

you dont have to be a pro to buy barge, you just cant purchase in larger quantities without a federal tax ID number. you can still get a 2 oz. tube over the counter. tanners bond rubber cement or contact cement works good too, but I stick with barge, as I feel it is the best on the market.

Thanks in advance!

That may be the best avatar on record. If I'd been drinking something, it would have shot out my nose. Thank you for brightening my day!

Oh and I use the weldwood/dap stuff too, as do several pro's I know. The trick (as I learned at the guild meeting yesterday) is to let it DRY for 10-15 minutes before sticking them together, and then press the liner in hard (he used a 1.5" dowel, but I suppose a J-roller would work too).

At Menards/Lowe's/Home Depot, you don't have to be a "pro" to buy it by the gallon...

Brent

Whitehead- I always hated contact cement... Never thought it was strong enough and very tempermental. Have you ever tried Fieblings (white) leather cement? That stuff is awesome! STRONG as heck! :)

contact cement from a building supply will work as well as barge on skirting leather. Use a leather roughener and it will stick ..to where you won't be wanting to pull it apart. I also use a latex contact cement from Helmefix. Great but the drying time is longer and even more so on cased leather but no fumes.

I tend to use whatever contact is going. On a side note does anyone think dextrine/hide glue still has a place in this day and age for certain applications. I don't think that we would ever totally go back to it over modern contact cements but with hide glue you can reactivate it with the application of mild heat. With contact cement, yes you can apply wet to both surfaces and get a little lee way with repositioning before it goes off, however once it has gone off that's it, game over.

Barra

I use Duall #88 cement. I got mine from Siegels of California.

I'm running low on contact cement and am thinking of changing from Duall #88 to something else.

What I like about Duall #88 is that its fumes aren't that strong. Any replacement will also have to have light fumes.

My replacement choices are:

Masters

Barge,though I think this one is out due to strong fumes, which I've read about.

Dural Dura-Safe non-flammable. I can get this for a good gallon price and like that it is nonflammable, but am not sure of its holding power.

I mainly need contact cement for prepping two-sided straps. I would use Fiebing's white glue, which I use for everything else, for this, but for straps it's just too messy.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ed

Hey Ed. glad to see you back. yes straps can be Messy. I you were going to change brands of glue

i have always liked and uses Masters, I have had no problem with it.

also there is the New Contac Cement at Tandy I do like it also

ED RE FRESH MY MEMORY, DID YOU HAVE AT ON TIME PROBLEMS WITH SEWING AFTER YOU

GLUED SOME ITEMS?

Edited by Luke Hatley

Hey Ed. glad to see you back. yes straps can be Messy. I you were going to change brands of glue

i have always liked and uses Masters, I have had no problem with it.

also there is the New Contac Cement at Tandy I do like it also

ED RE FRESH MY MEMORY, DID YOU HAVE AT ON TIME PROBLEMS WITH SEWING AFTER YOU

GLUED SOME ITEMS?

Hi Luke,

How are the fumes with Masters and the new Tandy contact cement? Do you happen to know if new Barge formula has less intense fumes?

Ed

Masters has the fumes.........the Tandy is milder and the New Barge, is different i

do not like it.

justwakinup. can you get the" TannersBond Contact "at your Tandys

if you can you will be very pleased with the product, I am.

I remember using Tandy's contact cement two years ago and was impressed by it. Because I had found Duall 88 cheaper, I switched. Now that the 88 is more expensive at $13 a quart, I just ordered 8 quarts of the Tandy at a dealer price of $32 for a gallon. I expect about $10-$15 for shipping.

ed

I use Barge Cement. I get it from local Amish for $10.60 a quart. Works great, but boy does it stink.

I have Barge which I get by the gallon at Weaver and a quart of Tandy Tanner's bond lying around as well. I prefer the Barge but can live with either one. I have a gallon of some 3M Contact Cement that I use for laminates in woodworking projects but I have never tried it on leather because it is blue. That scares me a little. It does a great job of holding down that laminate!

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana:

I don't care for the new Tandy/Barge cement either and will likely try the Fiebings. Has anyone found a comparable "snot" to replace the old Tanners Bond?

I use Cobbler's Choice Cement, which I buy from S-T Leather. 20 years ago, it was half the price of the Barge's and worked well. Now it's about the same cost (at $13.95/qt) but I trust it so I still use it. Somebody said you could tear the leather trying to pull it apart, so I had to try .... they were right, you WON'T get it apart. And since I order other stuff there, it saves me time, trouble and shipping charges.

S-T Leather Co

P.O. Box 78188

St. Louis, MO 63178-8188

Phone: 314-241-6009

Fax: 314-241-8428

Masters. And I'm pretty sure Barge and Masters reactivate with heat, well the old Barge did. I have also used Renia Colle de Cologne which I like a lot. It is a German product. why they don't call it Leim aus Köln I don't know.

Art

@JLSleather

Thanks! I called and ordered a quart to try. The old formula Tanner's Bond worked as well (leather tearing), but the new Barge is crapola. I'm having to inject more into liner applications with a hypo to get a good seal all over. I don't have time for that!