Vikti

Shoulder Straps

Due to the rising cost in gas, and it also seems the rising distances I have to travel to work, it looks like that I'm going to be on a motorcycle as much as possible (at least there's good in the bad). But being an electrician, I have a bunch of tools I have to carry with me. So instead of buying myself a backpack tool bag which may tear up after a year or so, I'm going to start making myself one and I was wondering if there is anyone out there who can give me tips on making comfortable shoulder straps seeing as right now I'm driving almost 55 miles to work and I have a good amount (weight wise) to carry.

Although, any tips on construction will be appreciated.

Damon

Due to the rising cost in gas, and it also seems the rising distances I have to travel to work, it looks like that I'm going to be on a motorcycle as much as possible (at least there's good in the bad). But being an electrician, I have a bunch of tools I have to carry with me. So instead of buying myself a backpack tool bag which may tear up after a year or so, I'm going to start making myself one and I was wondering if there is anyone out there who can give me tips on making comfortable shoulder straps seeing as right now I'm driving almost 55 miles to work and I have a good amount (weight wise) to carry.

Damon

I've been making guitar straps that are 3 inches wide out of 9-10 oz leather. The extra width and stiffness seems to distribute the weight across the shoulder and negates the need for padding, (unless you want padding)

Hope that helps.

padding would be nice but not needed if the comfort factor is there. For padding I can get a sheet of 3/8 " neoprene that I could sew into a strap.

padding would be nice but not needed if the comfort factor is there. For padding I can get a sheet of 3/8 " neoprene that I could sew into a strap.

Not what you are looking for, but for safety, I'd recommend bike/saddle bags or a tow behind trailer for tools.

Kevin

I'm with daddy on not wearing it.

An alice pack frame could be strapped to a sissy bar and then easily carried to the site.

The leather pack could be attached to the frame which would make it easier to carry heavy loads.

No dice on on the trailer, I have an 83 Honda Nighthawk (sport bike) which is not geared for pulling anything. It also has a custom seat which I would have to replace if I want to have any kind of back rest or luggage rack on the back and because of the age of the bike it's hard to find aftermarket items for it. I am currently designing a saddlebag/trunk system to make but it's going to take me another good month of plotting and planning before I even consider buying the leather for it. And I'm also going to have to fabricate some parts to keep the saddlebags from hitting the rear tire.

What I'm looking at is something like this backpack here but I only need it to carry about half the tools that this one is capable of holding. Grand total weigh, including my tool belt is about 17-20 pounds that I need to carry to work.

Damon

What about a duffle bag design that can be strapped to the seat?

http://www.google.co...ed=0CIwBEPICMAU

Edited by Tree Reaper

already have my lunch box strapped to the back seat for the time being

Edited by Vikti

already have my lunch box strapped to the back seat for the time being

How about something you can strap to a Tank Cover, so it sits between your legs and when you ride this bike like a crotch rocket you can "belly" into it. I see an advantage that it would block some of the wind... Of course this assumes that there is room to do this on your bike.

Damon

VIK....

I think I may have ran across something that might work for you. I found this book at the library of congress (loc.gov) that has a "knap sack" pattern and instructions in it out of leather.

http://ia700408.us.archive.org/10/items/leatherworking00hasl/leatherworking00hasl.pdf

Look for PDF page 104 (book page 100)

Hope this works for you.

Sylvia

Sylvia, your pdf file has some good tips for me that I'm going to try to use but as a whole, not quite what I was looking for. I would recommend that you pass this link on to others because it has some good info in it.

Thanks for the wonderful pdf though, I actually caught myself reading it.

Damon

Sylvia, your pdf file has some good tips for me that I'm going to try to use but as a whole, not quite what I was looking for. I would recommend that you pass this link on to others because it has some good info in it.

Thanks for the wonderful pdf though, I actually caught myself reading it.

Damon

LOL I'll share as needed. I thought it was interesting that it had information on how to make leather covered balls.

Dear Sylvia you are the awesomeness! I wonder if I will be able to save this file to a thumbdrive and have the helpful people at Staples print it out for me. This is a great resource! Thank you for finding it and thanks to Damon for asking the question that brought this up.

Dear Sylvia you are the awesomeness! I wonder if I will be able to save this file to a thumbdrive and have the helpful people at Staples print it out for me. This is a great resource! Thank you for finding it and thanks to Damon for asking the question that brought this up.

he he he... well, THANKS!!! You sure could, it's out of copyright so you can use it as you please.