Sign in to follow this  
Shorts

Gun Belts and Finishes

Right now I Resolene my belts after dye for topcoat. I'm curious though, instead of Resolene what can I use to seal the dye WITHOUT tenderizing the stiff property of the double layers?

The reason I want to try something different is that my Resolene seems to take a bit to fully cure. I'd like to put a belt out quicker than waiting 3 or 4 days. If you use it too soon, the top coat gets scuffed. How dumb is that?

After it fully cures it does great and you can't even tell the leather has any topcoat. But until then, gotta be gentle.

Thoughts?

I use Resolene too, I let the finish cure 3-5 days before I ship it. I've played around with Tan kote and Bag kote they seem to cure quicker, I just prefer the look of Resolene I guess.

Right now I Resolene my belts after dye for topcoat. I'm curious though, instead of Resolene what can I use to seal the dye WITHOUT tenderizing the stiff property of the double layers?

The reason I want to try something different is that my Resolene seems to take a bit to fully cure. I'd like to put a belt out quicker than waiting 3 or 4 days. If you use it too soon, the top coat gets scuffed. How dumb is that?

After it fully cures it does great and you can't even tell the leather has any topcoat. But until then, gotta be gentle.

Thoughts?

Hi Ya

I checked your site and nice holsters! Have you tried to oil and lacquer your holster? I have found that if I lacquer holsters, I need to thin it a bit with lacquer thinner. All the finishes may be dry to the touch within 8 hrs, but as you have found each of the finishes require time to cure.

Where are you located at? I'm down in south TX. Due to the humidity down here, I let my items rest [cure] in the A/C for a couple days prior to packing and shipping

GOOD WORK

Tim

Yeah, I always hold orders 2 days after topcoat before packing for shipping. They need the time. I was hoping for a better way.

Where I was in northern Japan was humid. It's the same here in DFW.

Tim, I know CC. I'm originally from there. I haven't tried lacquer or oil. I keep oils away from my holsters. I build them pretty tight and stiff for retention so I didn't want oil breaking them down. I guess I'm chicken to try even the smallest amount lol Thanks for checking out my site :)