skippy

Am I Going Mad?

think im losing it.

i bought some leather off a seller on ebay, advertised at approx 10sqft.

when it arrived i instantly knew the size was wrong.its quite a square peice ( still naturally irregular) but measured at 3ft at its longest and just less than 2ft at its widest part.

now to me......that works at approx 6sqft.

i contacted the seller and he told me that he uses a computer to measure and stamp the leather and all his hides are approx 10sqft and basically denies sending a 6sqft piece to me.

i know i shouldnt use the forum to whinge (hence why ive not named the seller) but am i missing somthing??????

aprox 10sqft i would even have accepted 8-9 as an approximation....but is 6 still acceptable??.

just not sure if old age is setting in :cowboy:

I don't think you are going mad. If it fits inside a box 3' X 2' then it is no more than 6 sq. ft. If it is advertised as 10 sq ft. then I would not expect less than 9 and no more than 11. That being said, you have a few choices: If you paid by credit card, let the credit card company handle the dispute; Since it is on eBay, then you can rate the seller and explain why you rated him/her the way you did; If you used PayPal, you can talk to them and let them arbitrate.

I don't know why anyone would have to use a computer to compute the area since in geometry it is simply length times width for a roughly rectangular shape. If it is not rectangular, then it can be thought of as a set of smaller shapes (rectangles and triangles) and their summed areas would then be the area.

Did you take a picture of it with a yard stick showing the max length and max width? One should always document the issue and evidence, otherwise it is your word against his word.

I do recommend that you rate the seller on eBay.

BillB

I forgot to add, Did you ask him how he calibrated his computer system? I would bet that he bought the system, set it up and just started using it and forgot to calibrate it. If it uses a camera, then the focal length of the lens is used to compute the relative size of the object. If that is not set correctly, then he would get incorrect measurements.

ive actually left him negative feedback as it took him a while to respond,leaving me with a decision of keeping the leather and finishing the project or dropping everything waiting for him to reply.im not really too fussed about the fact its about 4sqft short,it was his attitude after taking a while to bother answering.

when he did reply it was all about him and his machine and its never wrong so i cant be bothered dealing with him again.

just wasnt sure if maybe my maths was wrong lol.

i agree though.i cant understand why hes used a machine when eyeballing would clearly show it was less than 10sqft.

still...we live and learn lol

Are you going mad? Sounds to me like you are mad already. and rightly so. :ranting2:

I also fail to see why you can't give us the seller's name. Other members have named suppliers here on the forum who failed to deliver in a satisfactory manner, why should this seller be exempt?

the seller is called shop4leather

its a new ebay account,i had the displeasure of leaving the first ever feedback as at first he wouldnt reply to my emails leaving me with the smaller piece to fullfill a couple of orders ( im not a big leather seller,just got lucky) so i left feedback,then he sent me an email.........not apologising but thanking me for leaving neg feedback and how he cant be wrong about what was posted to me,conversation just went in circles from then on lol.

the piece is very nice,even throughout and a nice natural colour ready for tooling and dying......just a pitty it was too small for what was advertised.

the seller is called shop4leather

its a new ebay account,i had the displeasure of leaving the first ever feedback as at first he wouldnt reply to my emails leaving me with the smaller piece to fullfill a couple of orders ( im not a big leather seller,just got lucky) so i left feedback,then he sent me an email.........not apologising but thanking me for leaving neg feedback and how he cant be wrong about what was posted to me,conversation just went in circles from then on lol.

the piece is very nice,even throughout and a nice natural colour ready for tooling and dying......just a pitty it was too small for what was advertised.

You still should have (maybe still can?) dispute the whole matter with ebay/paypal. You can get your full purchase price & initial shipping cost refunded. But there is a time limit, so don't delay. I was ripped once by a seller who kept making excuses (her son had it, the post office misplaced it, blah, blah)- suddenly the time limit was up & she then stopped answering my emails & I couldn't file a claim with ebay. I was new & trusting at the time. No more!

as i said before,i need to get some orders done,because hes wasted time, sending it back to get a new piece would put me way past when i promised the jobs would be done.

ive also pointed this out to the seller,he sells a raw product that some people make a living from....buying leather to fullfill orders and promises (reputations) and that he should be more mindfull of this in the future + the extra it would cost to send it back that i couldnt claim would make it a bit too high.

had his attitude been more friendly then i probably wouldnt have bothered whinging about it,its just that he automatically accepted that he was right and i was wrong.

maybe the wrong piece was sent out,mistakes happen,but people could be a bit more compliant and reasonable when dealing with customers.

personaly i will go back to my old seller or even tandyleather factory. definatly wont use him again just because of his attitude.

ill chalk this one up to experience :wave:

as i said before,i need to get some orders done,because hes wasted time, sending it back to get a new piece would put me way past when i promised the jobs would be done.

ive also pointed this out to the seller,he sells a raw product that some people make a living from....buying leather to fullfill orders and promises (reputations) and that he should be more mindfull of this in the future + the extra it would cost to send it back that i couldnt claim would make it a bit too high.

had his attitude been more friendly then i probably wouldnt have bothered whinging about it,its just that he automatically accepted that he was right and i was wrong.

maybe the wrong piece was sent out,mistakes happen,but people could be a bit more compliant and reasonable when dealing with customers.

personaly i will go back to my old seller or even tandyleather factory. definatly wont use him again just because of his attitude.

ill chalk this one up to experience :wave:

Still- if you paid via paypal, you should dispute this.

The picture on the auction page you used looks like a double shoulder. It sounds like you got a single shoulder. I agree that you should go after this person but I also know the feeling of just wanting to be done with it.

One of the issues with paypal is they will virtually side with the buyer, reguardless of the facts. Contest this with paypal and they will likely give you your money back. Paypal could care less if you send the product back.

I hate to hear about your experience, and hope you have enough to complete the orders. Give Springfield Leather a try, I've been continually impressed by them.

@twinoaks..........id love to mate,but im in the uk lol,would probably be quite high on shipping.

This is EXACTLY why I won't buy leather on Ebay... I've had a similar problem selling an item and I knew I was right but the whole situation got out of hand. He gave me a negative feedback and just more or less called me a liar and told other Ebayers I was trouble to deal with...I'd rather order from Tandy than get ripped off on Ebay. Springfield leather is good though too. Now you've got me all worked up! lol

benlilly......hahah sorry mate didnt mean to bring up old memories lol.

for me,the annoying part was not the the size,it was the sellers attitude,i already had the leather photographed with my tape ruler laid out on it,he never asked once for a picture,just point blank denied that he would send a piece that size and that his computer measuring device was always right no matter what anyone else says.

he didnt say he was going to check his machine,or ask to see the leather....just a straight,im right your wrong.

YES IM GOING MAD

first i would like to apologise sincerely to shop4leather for my mistake.

the picture explains it all.

the chinese tape measure i used clearly is slightly out with its inches.

i actually feel quite bad about saying bad stuff about shop4leather but in my defence im on prochlorperazine for an ilness ive had for the last 3weeks.

one of the effects of labrynthitus is the eyes go blurry and distort ( whne the rooms not spinning),its a defence but not an excuse and again apologise for making the mistake.

post-15000-043843000 1315506877_thumb.jp

Well, all I can say is if I was unclothed and being measured I would choose the top measurer over the bottom one.

I guess I didn't know you could screw up a tape measure. lol Where did you get that thing?? Anyway I would still be cautious of buying leather off of Ebay.

the cm on the other side are spot on,just the inches,it was actually out of a sewing cupbaord that my auntie pat left my wife when she passed away.

It still does not condone the sellers attitude. Customer Service is important no matter who is right.

It still does not condone the sellers attitude. Customer Service is important no matter who is right.

i agree,but he was in the right so he was probably a bit pee'd off with me.