Sign in to follow this  
olroper99

New here with 29K vs Mach1 questions

Hi Guys and Gals!

I recently moved out to the Canadian prairies to get work and to have easier access to the teamroping sport I love.

It's very slow in my main trade (welding) right now so I heard there's a need for a tack repair person here.

About 30 years ago I had a tack and saddle repair shop in BC so I thought... "Why not"

I used to use a Singer 29K back when and started to track one down. I've found a few for very decent prices locally.

I phoned Leightons in Cowgary about getting parts etc.

Hmm...he told me I should just forget the idea and get a Mach1.

I had mentioned to him that I wanted to repair a lot of horse blankets and he reminded me that the bobbin on a 29K will only hold 5 or 6 feet of the heavier thread I used to use.

I've long forgotten the size of needle and thread I used to use....but I found some of the needles I had for my 29K

They are 332LR SZ160 ...that's what is written on the old package anyway.

I used to make a lot of headstalls and lots of lighter strap goods...also repaired miles of BC Forestry tents with this size of thread. Any other sewing I did for heavier stuff ended up in the stitching horse and got sewn by hand as my saddlemaker Dad taught me to do.

So...I can live with that size of thread. Heavier would be nicer....but will a Mach1 run it ok?

And...aside from the small bobbin and the obvious electric motor...how much more capable is a Mach1 over a 29K?

I think I can remember how to tune up a 29K once I get one...the Mach1 I have no clue about.

I can get a 29 for less than 1/4 of the price...but I'm thinkin I'd be happier overall with a Mach1 (maybe)???

I know the $1400 for a Mach1 isn't a lot of money but I'm just testing the waters for now and don't want to pop for a Mach1 if it doesn't have a lot of advantage over a 29K.

Any thoughts to share???

Thanks!

Russ

RUSS..........I M H O.....i would forgo the Patch machine. it's just for Patch work.

contac some of the machine suppliers at the top of this page for more information

My self, i have a copy fo the Adler 205-370 and would not take anything for it.

Leighton's is correct about the small bobbins on the 29's most of them will only sew to around 8mm use 138 thread max & alot of tack uses 207.

We sell the same machine as a Mach1 they will use up to 346 thread the bobbin is probably 10x larger too & will sew to 10 mm or more.They have a feed dog that can mark the bottom but it'll probably look better than the marks a 29 would leave on top.

We also have a roller foot available that helps the feeding on this machine.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Bob Kovar

Leighton's is correct about the small bobbins on the 29's most of them will only sew to around 8mm use 138 thread max & alot of tack uses 207.

We sell the same machine as a Mach1 they will use up to 346 thread the bobbin is probably 10x larger too & will sew to 10 mm or more.They have a feed dog that can mark the bottom but it'll probably look better than the marks a 29 would leave on top.

Bob Kovar

Thanks guys!

Bob...that's what I needed to hear! Sounds like the Mach 1 will be a lot better machine.

You reminded me of something I forgot...those pesky marks the 29 leaves on the top.

I still use a headstall I made 25 years ago...it still shows a few of those marks.

Last night I found a good deal on a used Mach1 so I'm pullin the trigger on it!

Thanks again!

Russ

Well! I'm darn glad I didn't go for the patcher!!!

A 150 mile round trip in a snow storm in windy Saskatchewan to pick up the used Mach1 and drop $1000 in the guys mitt..

Was all worth it after I got home and figured out all the little problems etc.

The machine sews great! A heck of a lot nicer than my ol' 29K.

Now I need to buy some leather...I ran out of horse blankets to fix already....had a fun night sewin straps back on and sewin up tears etc.

Russ...still smilin!

congrats on the new machine Russ! let me know if you ever need any needles, bobbins, parts or have any questions about the mach 1, we sell the same machine (Techsew GA5-1).

cheers,

Ron

Thanks Ron! I'll keep you in mind.

This machine was advertized as "almost" brand new...and for once a seller was honest...lol!

It really is like new. There's no paint worn off the pedals....and there is very little thread gone off the original thread spools he gave with it. So...I'm hopin I don't need any parts for a little while anyway.

It would be nice to find a manual that is written in better Chinglish than this one is :-)

Now I'm craving a heavy stitcher...after finding the limits of this machine late last nite while sewing a D ring on a back cinch.

I'm almost thinking this thing could be geared down a tad...I don't know many times when I could use the flat out top speed...HOLY SMOKE...it's a lot faster than anything I've ever ran before.

Russ (yep...still smilin!)

Hi... if you can swing it, you might want to think about putting a speed reducer and/or a servo motor on it. With those two things on it, your 10 yr old daughter could operate it, even without experience! :) if you have one that is...

Kevin

Thanks Kevin!

Do you know...if the speed redicers for these are electronic or mechanical?

I was just thinking of changing pulleys to reduce it.

We sell a D.C. Servo motor w/a builtin reducer that is alot easier to put on then a separate reducer & servo motor & lower price too!(it fastens in the same holes as a clutchmotor) .A few people on the board have bought them & can't believe how slow they are,one stitch @ a time if you want.

Bob Kovar

Hi Bob,

I have a 29-4 and the large thumb screw knob behind the machine right by the needle bar and up adjusts really well on mine and doesn't leave marks on the leather. I hadn't used her in a while and my husband ripped out the back stitching by the heel of his Red Wing, steel toed work boots. I took some scrap and adjusted the stitch length and pressure on the foot and they came out perfect with no marks at all. So I don't understand why we would need a roller foot. Not saying I haven't made marks on leather with that machine though. When I learned how she worked and to help her little she does just fine.

The bobbin size is a pain. But I bought a box with about 50 of pre wound industrial waxed bobbin thread spools and it is a snap as I don't use the regular bobbin.

I too am waiting for my Cobra Class 4 I ordered from Steve. But I will still need the 29-4 to get to places you just can't get on the bigger cylinder arms.

Cheers,

Katy

Bob Kovar

Katy,

When I was talking to Russ about a roller foot I was refering to the Mach1 which has the feed dog on the bottom & will leave marks on most leather.I'm not bashing the 29-4 as they are great little machines & very handy,we sell quite a few of them every year,I also know about loosening the foot tension but you have to be careful as it's a fine line to keep it where it'll still feed & not skip stitches & not mark & if you sew thicker it will need to be tightened alittle more.There's the fact that some leather have a harder finish & are more tolerant of the teeth on the foot.

Bob Kovar

Katy,

When I was talking to Russ about a roller foot I was refering to the Mach1 which has the feed dog on the bottom & will leave marks on most leather.I'm not bashing the 29-4 as they are great little machines & very handy,we sell quite a few of them every year,I also know about loosening the foot tension but you have to be careful as it's a fine line to keep it where it'll still feed & not skip stitches & not mark & if you sew thicker it will need to be tightened alittle more.There's the fact that some leather have a harder finish & are more tolerant of the teeth on the foot.

Bob Kovar

A couple of extra feet with modified teeth might help too. One with the teeth dulled a bit, and another with the teeth ground off and finer teeth ground in (this one wouldn't be easy).

Doug