Sign in to follow this  
cowboy bowhunter

Bible Cover Pattern

Where can i find a nice bible cover pattern?

Cowboy Bowhunter,

Are you looking for a pattern to make a bible cover or for carvings to put on one.

I don't use a pattern to make them, when I started making them I discovered that there is a multitude of differnt sized Bibles. I measure the hight, width and thickness then add 3/4" to the height, double the width and add the thickness to determine the width, then I add 1" to that measurement. For the inside flaps I make them the same height, and 1/3 the width make two of them. Carve the panels and tool the flaps then line the cover and flaps with pigskin. Punch them with a 1/8" thonging chisel and lace them together. As for carvings that is a matter of personal taste. I put praying hands, crosses, crown of thorns, etc and surround them with roses for womens Bibles or Basket Weave for Mens. I also stamp "HOLY BIBLE" centered down the spine. As for carving patterns, I use graphics from books, internet, etc.

Hope this helps,

Ken

post-6362-057432900 1342729087_thumb.jpg

post-6362-038237300 1342729090_thumb.jpg

Cowboy Bowhunter,

Are you looking for a pattern to make a bible cover or for carvings to put on one.

I don't use a pattern to make them, when I started making them I discovered that there is a multitude of differnt sized Bibles. I measure the hight, width and thickness then add 3/4" to the height, double the width and add the thickness to determine the width, then I add 1" to that measurement. For the inside flaps I make them the same height, and 1/3 the width make two of them. Carve the panels and tool the flaps then line the cover and flaps with pigskin. Punch them with a 1/8" thonging chisel and lace them together. As for carvings that is a matter of personal taste. I put praying hands, crosses, crown of thorns, etc and surround them with roses for womens Bibles or Basket Weave for Mens. I also stamp "HOLY BIBLE" centered down the spine. As for carving patterns, I use graphics from books, internet, etc.

Hope this helps,

Ken

Thank you. That helped alot. I wasnt sure on standerd size of the bibles or how much on each side you went and what you use for the middle. Im not worryed about tooling yet. I have ideas for my first one for my father-in-law. But ill see how that turns out before i do crazy on tooling them.